Dear Elder Nielsen,
AP??? I can't believe that. Is your Mission President Loco??? No that is great and we would not expect any thing less from you. I am sure you will be great at it. Just remember the Lord qualifies those who he calls to positions whether you think you are ready or not.
Remember to work hard, be exactly obedient and follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost in all things and you will be fine.
I can't believe that we are back in school tomorrow. I don't know where the time goes, but it definitely passes us by quickly. That was a very quick summer break. I can't remember much of what I did last week. With the college classes starting tomorrow, I worked every day until 7 pm or later. The week before school starts is a very busy week. I went in to work for 6 hours yesterday on Saturday. I wasn't able to make it to go hunting with Joe Debraga.
I have been very busy trying to get all the students their money and get my accounting class ready to go for this semester. Summer left on her first high school over night trip to Reno with the girls soccer team. They left Thursday at 3 pm and played 2 games on Friday and Saturday. They played Bishop Gorman and lost 7-0. Bishop Gorman lost in the state championship game last year but have all their girls back from that team. They have 3 or 4 girls that are already committed to D-1 schools. They played Sparks that afternoon and lost 2-1. On Saturday they played Damonte Ranch Elko won 3-2 in penalty kicks and then they play Reno and lost 5-1. I did not know if Summer would get much playing time on the varsity, but she subbed in for a girl and relieved her in both the games on Friday, but then she played the entire 2 games on Saturday and never came out. She is playing midfield and is the only one that gets back on defense after the offensive push. She said she was running back as fast as she could whether she was tired or not. Her coach told her she was thinking about subbing her out on one of those games, but decided she needed Summer on the field. So that is really good. She might see a lot of playing time on varsity as a freshman. The newspaper said that she would probably "see some playing time and is the younger sister of Erin Nielsen Welch who play on varsity for many years."
We had a back to school BBQ for the ward on Saturday evening at the park. It was a very pleasant evening but we only had about 60 people there. Our ward is hurting for active members.
Sabrina Welch had her wedding reception on Saturday as well. So we went over to that. Landon and Erin were in town staying with us over the weekend, so that was fun. They told the younger 3 girls about their big news of Erin expecting and Addelaide said "I already knew". I guess Addie and Carly had Erin's phone and were going through their pictures and saw the picture of the ultra sound and figured that Erin was expecting.
I went to the 1st Elko football game friday night, they played Dayton and won 27-0, but both teams did not look very good. Dayton has not scored a point in like 14 games. But Elko did not look very good. They all looked weak. Eric Klekas is playing QB. Spring Creek beat Lowry 45-7, so it sounds like Lowry is still struggling.
We are heading over to Utah this morning with Landon and Erin to go hear Braden Nielsen's farewell talk. He leaves on his mission Sept. 14th. Erin and Landon left their car in Utah from the wedding and they will go back to Rexburg this evening. It will be a quick trip as we have to get back tonight and give the girls their father's blessing and get ready for school tomorrow.
We hope you have a great week. We love you and are happy you are serving the Lord on a mission. You are a great missionary and we are well pleased with your example of obedience and hard work.
Landon said he loved working with his mission president and seeing how keys of the priesthood in action as they worked and counseled together. Be very observant and take in every thing you can with this great opportunity you have to serve side by side with the mission president. It will bless your life for ever.
We love you,
Dad
Dearest Elder Nielsen,
Sorry, this is getting to you late. We were in Utah for Braden's Farewell and it threw me off my usual routine of when I write and then I knew it was transfer week, so I took the chance that you would be emailing 24hrs later than usual. Well, I was wrong and so I am a loser mom this week. AP! I must say we weren't really surprised, but it was still really exciting to hear that news. I think it will be an amazing chance to learn a lot from your president and also to use and develop your leadership skills. That was a cool story of how President Burton received the inspiration about your call.
We had a great last week of the Summer week. It was more busy with all the "Back to School" Open houses and pre-school meetings. I had a cross guard mtg. and training. I will be crossing at Northside and Flagview in the mornings and afternoons everyday. It works out great since I have to go to those schools anyway.
Summer had her first "away" sports experience with a soccer tourney in Reno this past week. They played Bishop Gorman and got creamed, but Summer played the whole time in the last 2 games and did really well from what she tells us. She plays midfield and so she runs a lot, but she can handle it. Not too bad for a frosh on Varsity. Since she was gone on the on Fri., which was the last day to change your class schedule; I had to go in to the councilors office and wait for 2hrs on Fri. to change some things on her class schedule. She had Agricultural Science for one of her electives. It wasn't her first choice--she was hoping for a food class. Those classes were all very full, so she got into Art. and then I also switched her PE to Basketball class. German is her other elective. She went today to her first day of Seminary. As I was crossing 5th street to take her, We saw Peter Neff go flying out of his yard there on Walnut St, and run across the street. We only had about 2 min. to spare before the start of class. I thought, 'Oh, we could pick him up and give him a ride the rest of the way.' But, he was going so fast, by the time we caught up to him he was just about to the church and then by the time Summer got out and up to the church door, he was there already and holding it open for her.!
Erin and Landon came to Elko Friday night and stayed with us over the weekend. It has been fun to get to know Landon better. I think you could say we feel pretty comfortable--like we're all family. He has seen us as our natural selves. He even unplugged a toilet (the ultimate initiation) They told the little girls over the weekend about their impending parenthood. They didn't have a very surprised reaction...While Erin and Landon were preparing their "big reveal" photo shoot with two heart shaped balloons that said "Mom" on one and "Dad" on the other, Carly and Ads were playing on Erin's phone and looking at her pictures and came across some of their ultrasound. Carly figured out what it was. I'm just glad that the news is out there now and we can talk about it. They wanted to wait until after Sabrina's wedding reception, as to not take any attention away from their big moment. The reception was really nice. It was outside in the Nisbet's backyard. They moved to Meadow Ridge over a year ago and its perfect for outdoor entertaining.
Erin gave Adelaide a much needed haircut that night. Her hair has just grown so long and she never brushes it and it gets all these snarls in it, and it hurts if I try and brush them out. So, since she was nearly in the pre-dreadlocks stage for hair styles we decided to go with a cute shoulder length bob. It's really cute and will be so easy for school. Speaking of which, she went to her first day of 1st grade at Northside today. I think all went well. I have to admit, I was a little sad when I came home and the house was empty. I just tried to get busy and not think about it. I'm sure I'll adjust!
Sunday morning we zipped over to Utah to hear Braden's Nielsen's Farewell. We took Erin and Landon with us since they left their car in Ut after the sealing on Fri. and caught a ride with his parents to Elko. It was a really good sacrament mtg. Braden spoke first and then he played a wondeful piano piece of hymns that he had arranged. He was really pounding the keys during "I Believe in Christ". I told him afterwards that I could really feel his testimony of those words coming out when he was playing that part. The other speaker was a young man returning from his mission--from the Philippines of all places! He gave an excellent talk about being loyal. He said, "The crowning characteristic of love is loyalty". Then he went on to explain all that we do to show our loyalty to the Savior,each other, and the mission. At the end he bore his testimony in Tagolag. It's a weird sounding language. He served in the San Juan (?) mission. It sounded like he had an awesome mission. We had a nice lunch at Jedd and Jana's and then I took the Welches to their car and we headed out for home.
We got back about 9pm, did the Father's blessings and went to bed. This morning I woke up at 4:30, checked my email, and there's your letter! I hope you weren't too disappointed. Hope you have a great week. Keep the "boat" on the road and out of the lake
Love, Mom
Love, Mom
PS Carly won the Summer Reading Program coloring contest sponsored by Total Eye Care for the 3rd year in a row! this will by the last year though, she is topped out of the age catagories. Another pair of Ray Band sunglasses for CarCar!
No comments:
Post a Comment