Elder Nielsen,
I can't believe we are in December already. Where is the time going? Romney gets home from her mission on Tuesday. Landon Howe is doing a little better. They let him come out of his induced coma and I guess he recognized his parents voices and gave them a thumbs up. They are keeping him in the coma so his brain can heel. But there has been good improvements this past week.
I spent the week in Atlanta Georgia. I left Monday morning and it was snowing pretty hard here in Elko. Our airplane was about 1/2 hour late in departing as we had to de-ice every thing. And it was pretty cold here. Winter has arrived. So we had only about 10 minutes in the SLC airport to catch our next flight. So we were running to get there. On the flight from SLC to Atlanta, I sat next to an elderly lady from Nicaragua. She did not speak any English, so it was great. I was able to talk to her for most of the flight. She is a member of the church and had been living with her son who lives in Utah. She was going back to Nicaragua. I had to help her order her snacks and drinks and help her with her luggage. I noticed that the guy sitting in the seat in front of me from the back and side looked a lot like Ty Detmer. But I did not do or say any thing until we were getting off the plane and when he stood up, he had a BYU shirt on. And then I asked him, "You wouldn't happen to be Ty Detmer would you?" He said, "I sure am". I shook his hand and told him I was a big fan of his. I would have like to have sat next to him and we could have had a long conversation. He his BYU's offensive coordinator now. I asked him what he was going to do in Atlanta, and he told me "Recruiting". I should have told him, I have a son on a mission in the Philippines you should recruit, but I didn't. He was a very nice guy and down to earth. That was fun! I also was on the plane with about 15 missionaries (Elders and sisters) going to a mission in Georgia. So of course I had to greet all of them and tell them of the good times they have in front of them.
I had my Department of Ed training all week in Atlanta. Getting up at 3 am all week and going to class by 5:30 am Elko time was a little hard to get use to. I watched BYU play Utah State in Bball on Wed. on BYUTV. BYU won, but it was a very close game.
On Thursday night, I took the Marta train or subway system to go to the Atlanta temple. From the train station it is .8 of a mile to the temple. I had to walk along the Mt Vernon Hwy to get there. I did a session for one of my ancestors that I had research, so that was nice. I did the washing and anointing the week before in Sacramento, temple. While I was in the celestial room, I watched a gentleman go up and greet a couple that was there. It was one of the most touching and moving encounters I have ever witnessed. This guy was so loving, tender and gentle with that couple. He was so sweet to the lady and gave the husband a huge hug. I could feel his love for them just by observing this interaction. It was almost as if I was watching the savior greet that couple in the celestial room. Later in the dressing room, I heard another guy come up to that gentleman and ask, "President, are you all ready for stake conference this weekend?" And he answered, are you ever ready for stake conference. Anyway, this guy that was greeting that couple was the stake president. I have pondered on what I witnessed in the temple that night, and have determined that that is exactly how the Savior would have greeted that couple and all of us for that matter. It was a very special experience and strengthened my testimony that these brethren, our leaders are called of God and act as his representatives to their congregations.
I flew home on Friday, and then I went to the high school and did the books for 4 games on Friday and 4 games on Saturday. Elko beat Wooster on Friday, and Reed on Thursday. They blew those teams out, it was not very close. And Elko played Reno high Friday night and it was a great game. Very close. Reno was leading most of the 1st half and Elko came back and beat them the 2nd half. Eric Klekas had 28 points. He was big in the game. Since we lost Yopps, we do not really have a big guy. Kyron played well and had a couple awesome slam dunks. He is obviously the best athlete on the court, but does not make the best decisions.
On Saturday, Elko played Damonte Ranch. We came out flat as the Reno game took a lot of emotion out of us. We beat Damonte, but the game was closer that it should have been. Damonte was up by 2 points at half, and we ended up winning by about 15 points.
We had a good day today. It was fast Sunday and I always love fast Sundays. We had the 1st presidency Christmas devotional tonight, we watched it on byuTV.
Summer had 3 or 4 games this week on the JV. She had 4 points in one game and started in 1 game. But I did not watch them, so I can't report much more than that. She has 2 games at home this weekend. She had her soccer banquet this week and lettered in Soccer.
Have a super week. We love you and pray for you daily. Issac Perkins is playing on Damonte Ranch's varsity team and his dad was there to watch him. His dad told us to tell you hello for him and his family. He could not believe you come home next summer. Keep working hard and make sure you remember and ponder on the significance of being the Lord's representative on your mission. Enjoy every second of that time.
Love
Dad
You have that special privilege right now as a missionary to be his special representative. Remember that and always act and say what you think the Savior would say to the people you are talking to and greeting.
Dearest Elder Nielsen,
Its begun... the Christmas Season! Dad left to go to Atlantic on Monday morning and was gone all week. It was just us four girls here at home. The van had a tire that was slowly losing air, and by the end of the day it was completely flat, luckily the Trooper was available so I drove that around the rest of the week. That was quite an experience. The handle to the drivers door is broken, so you either have to roll down the window to open it each time (and the window crank thing feels like its going to break off) or you leave the door slightly ajar and hold it when you go around a corner so that it doesn't fly open--cause it will, I know Hold door, steer wheel, and don't forget to downshift. Dad does this everyday! I want my van back.
Summer had to make up the practices she missed over Thanksgiving so she had to go to the Varsity practice for 2 days. She wasn't alone; there were a couple of other JV players that joined her. She did that right after school got out and then she a little bit of time before she had to go to her regular JV practice. Carly and Addie and I went to the Festival of Trees on Monday night for our FHE activity. I always enjoy that, we always pick out our favorites.
Tuesday, I had a dental cleaning appt. I have a little cavity between two teeth that I have to go back and get filled. Arrrr! Carly had a bball game that night. She is the go to girl for bringing the ball down court. Her coach yells at them, "give it to Carly!" she doesn't want anyone else handling the bar. She had 4 pts. she could have had more, but for her nemesis-free throws. She did hit the rim this time. We will get her there.
Wednesday I helped at the Creche Exhibit. I figured now that I don't have a child to watch, I can now give more time to that kind of stuff. I set our nativities out and a couple that Erin had brought home from Peru (hint, hint) Sister Halls is giving away her huge Madonna and Child collection. They won't be displaying it anymore since they are going to sell their house and not be coming back to Elko to live during the summer months. They are going to let everyone take a piece of it. They numbered each one that is displayed this year and then they will have a drawing for it.
Summer scored 4 points in her first JV game. They played in Carlin. The Red Lion Tournament started this week. Dad got back on Friday afternoon and he got snagged in doing the books for the games that night and most of the day Sat. I went to the Elko games and I thought they looked really good. They beat every team that they played in the tourney convincingly. I walked in the gym and the first thing I notice as I'm walking to the bleachers to get a seat is Eric and Kyrin heading towards me in a fast break. It was like Stockton to Mallone--Eric made a great pass to Kyrin as he is breaking to the basket and he two hand dunks it. Damonte Ranch brought their team and Isaac Perkins was playing for them, so it was fun to see him. He's a little bigger, but not much.
Landon Howe is doing better. He has smiled and is breathing on his own now. Hopefully he will make a full recovery. I taught the RS lesson today. It was on Christlike Attributes from PMG. It went well. I hope you continue to do well, I'm looking forward to hearing about the BDay. I was also happy to hear a mention of Elder (Cousin) Nightingale. Sarah is having a baby in April, and she just got done doing the illustrations for a book about Easter coming out in the Spring. Romney Goulding comes home tuesday. Have a super week, love you, MOM
No comments:
Post a Comment