Sunday, May 7, 2017

Your Mother is a year older this past week!


Hello Elder Nielsen,

Another good week. Mom had her birthday on Wednesday. We did not do too much special. We all went to the Red Lion for the buffet on the football pickers that I had won. We had to pay for Adelaide and a tip. Summer was not too impressed and likes mom's cooking better.

Summer went on a track meet to Fallon for regionals. She ran the 400 but did not qualify for the event. So she will go with the varsity team next weekend to regionals as an alternate in the 400. The boys bus broke down in Winnemucca on the way back and she did not get home until 11:30 pm last night.

We had combined YMYW activity Thursday at mutual and played glow in the dark dodge ball. It was pretty fun. Addie had gone with us and she wanted to play. So she was out there in the middle of things playing dodge ball. Addie lost another tooth this week.

On Saturday, we had big plans to get a lot done. Mom and I did the paper route early. And I came home and tried to fix the dead bolt on the front door. It was getting sticky lately and Carly had broken off her key in the door, so we could not lock it from the outside. I had bought a replacement which was the very same brand and kind, but I could not get it to line up. I had to drill a bigger hole in the side of the door and then I had to chip away part of the door to get it to work. I worked on it for about 3-4 hours. You would think that the same company and some lock would work the same way, but they had changed them all up. Any way it is fixed now and locks nicely. 

I also charged the bug battery, so we have been driving the bug around all week. It was really hot on Friday, low 80's or high 70's. We basically go from winter to summer, with very few spring like days.

Saturday afternoon, Merrick Simon's had a birthday party and we all went over for pizza. They had 3 or 4 families over there and it was fun visiting with all of them. But we kind of left on a down note. They were talking about people were are becoming inactive and things that had happened to certain members in the area and it was sad. I am not sure how people can serve missions and have been through the temple and give that all up for worldly desires. It was bothersome to hear that news. We came home and watched the Kentucky Derby and then we went to the church for a going away party for the Shumways. They are selling their house and probably will not be coming back to Elko after their mission. He said they might go back to Arizona to take care of their parents. Anyway, it was sad saying our goodbyes.  They will make great mission president and wife. He has already been in contact with the mission president and is getting information and getting up to speed. Sister Shumway said she thought the timing was a little early, but when they met with President Uchtdorf, and mentioned their daughter Kate, he told them you watch and see, that she will be blessed and be better off than if they were here with her for their service. The enabling power of the atonement at work. But we had fun visiting with other people that we rarely see any more as they are in different wards.

Today was fast Sunday and it is always a delight. Had good meetings. Came home had a simple dinner. The church wants everyone to have a user ID and password to log into LDS.org and family search. So I set one up for Carly and then she and I and Summer went to work finding family names. Carly found 4 names, 3 of which she can take to the temple this Saturday to do baptisms for. Summer found 1 name and I found 3. So not a bad 2 hours work. Carly and Summer both said, this is fun. I also helped mom upload a picture of her Grandpa and Grandma Croft in 1925 canoeing at Bear Lake. It is a cool picture. I guess they were engaged at the time.

We hope you have a great week. We were talking to I believe Emily Anderson and she said she was in Winnemucca and heard Elder Grays home coming and knew that you and he had met up in the MTC. It is a crazy small world. We love you and pray for you daily. Like you said in your last email, enjoy every second you have serving as a missionary and representing Jesus Christ. This is truly a very special time in your life and it will all be over before you know it.  Keep being an awesome missionary.  

Mom thinks we should do the phone call around 6 pm Sunday night our time and what ever time you suggested. That would be Monday morning for you. But she will firm up the details from your letter.

Love,

DAD




Dearest Elder Nielsen,

It's been another fast and busy week.  On Tuesday I went to the high school, where they were having a blood drive and donated a pint.  I got a coupon for a free Port of Subs sandwich for my generosity.  I had a den meeting later that night.  This  new calling is definitely challenging me.  The requirement was for the boys to plan a carnival and then do it for an activity,  So that is what our Pack meeting will be later this month.  I asked Bro. Anderson from the 4th ward to come in and teach/demo for the boys his juggling skills.  Then we all got to try our hand at it.  It's hard!  He said he is not very good at it anymore and a lot of his stuff he has given to his older boys.  They are both bishops in Spokane.  He showed a video of his son Dwaine juggling during a ward talent show.  He did a lot of amazing things--what a cool bishop.

Wednesday was my birthday!  Big 51.  We all went to the Red Lion to go to the buffet.  We had 4 coupons left from when Dad won the Pigskin Pickers, and so we took the kids and all went out.  It was OK, pretty mediocre as my Dad would say.  Summer was cute, she said that my homecooking was better.  You should write down the recipes of the Filipino foods that you  like, and I will try to make them.

Saturday,  we went to the Simons house for Merricks 2 yr birthday party.  It was the usual Simons kind of party--Pizza, cake and conversation.  Then later that evening they were having an open house for the Shumways to wish them well on their mission.  We gave them a card with our favorite Shumway memories written in it.  Just out of curiosity do you have a favorite memory with their family?  They were kind of emotional.  They are selling their big house so who knows if they will come back here to live.  Kate is going to attend BYU-I in the Fall.

Summer had track in Fallon on Saturday, she ran the open 400m.  She didn't qualify to go to Regionals, but is heading over with the team again this next weekend because she is an alternate runner for the relays.

Well, that is about all the news I can think of.  I think your idea to call on the 15th for Mothers Day is just perfect.  If you call between 9-10 your time that will be just fine too.  Enjoy, every moment that you have, make the most of this precious time as a missionary.  I love you my dear boy, you make a lot of people very happy. 

 Love, Mom

PS  AJ Jordan will be attending BYU-Provo in the Fall and his Mom messaged me wondering if you had any housing for school--which you don't.  Would you want to be roomies? Talk to ya next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment