Hola Hermana Nielsen,
How was your week? This past week went by extremely fast. I went to Winnemucca to meet with Fin Aid students on Monday during the day and then that evening I did a FAFSA night at Lowry high school, so I did not get back to Elko until about 9:30 pm. Tuesday was the big Elko vs Spring Creek games. Both varsity teams won pretty easily. Mom said that is the weakest Spring Creek girls team she has ever seen. The boys played well and beat them by 30+ and the girls won by 20+ points. It is good for the girls to get that monkey off their back.
Wednesday I drove down to Pahrump, to meet with fin aid students down there. I was down there until Friday morning and came back to see the bball games here this weekend. We played sparks on Friday and the boys shot the lights out of the gym. Everyone was making baskets. Elko had 58 points the 1st half and as a team they shot 71% from the 3-point line. We were up by 40+ points in the 1st half but the mercy rule does not kick in until the 2nd half. So it was a running clock the entire 2nd half and the final result was like 83 to 30. Elko made 15 3-pointers for the game and that is a school record. Cody had 5 points on Friday. Nate could not miss.
On Saturday we played Truckee and they were a real scrappy team and we beat them by 30+ points. The team had 11 3-pointers in that game and Eric Klekas had 7 of them. He was high scorer with 23 points. Nate had a terrible game and only had 4 points. So both the elko boys and girls varsity teams are still undefeated in league play. We go to Lowry tomorrow for the last game of the 1st half of the season and then we start the 2nd half of league play.
I spent about 4 hours on Saturday morning running around trying to get signatures and forms for all the boy scout registrations. We had to turn in our re-chartering on sat. I still have a few more signatures and forms to get, but then I will mail it off. That has been a nightmare trying to get that all done.
Sunday was good, we had our ward conference. The nursery leader was out of town and I was more than willing to sub for her. We only had 3 kids. Then we had a seminary fireside last night. So we have been extremely busy. Summer signed up for PAL and they needed a coach, so I volunteered to do that. I figure that she and Carly need some extra individual coaching to work on their skills. I have a lot of fin. aid nights this month, so mom might have to end up doing most of the coaching.
GBC starts next week, and I am scheduled to teach Acc 202 this semester, but I hope it does not go. We need 10 students to make it go and I only have 7 in there right now. But with tax season, I hope it does not go.
We had the sister missionaries over for dinner yesterday and they really like our family. The one sister from Tahiti who is from temple square goes back to temple square next Monday. She does not want to go. We told her we will have to go visit her in Tahiti. Her dad is a canoe man and makes ukuleles and wanted to know if I played. I said no, but Amber does. She then asked me if I would want a canoe paddle that her dad makes to hang on the wall. And I said I would love one. She is really nice and has a strong accent. We will miss her.
Whitney welch got home from her mission and she had her home coming talk yesterday. Cody says it sounds like she speaks spanish very well. Meaghan Acherman also had her farewell yesterday. She is going Texas and enters the MTC this week. Cody went to both of those meetings. Cody said there were a lot of girls from the Elko girls basketball, but not the entire team like you had. But that is good for them to go support her like that. Cody said Siana Carsrud is a member and her mom is a member in Wendover.
Have a super week. We love you and pray for you all the time.
Love,
Dad
Dearest Hermanita Nielsen,
We had a very relaxing Christmas Break. We just hung out with Amber and I didn't have to really be anywhere. Dad kept wondering when I was going to cook a real meal. He said all he had eaten was snack food all week--in my defense I think I made some soup and stuff in there. So, it was good to get back into a schedule and ship everybody back off to school.
It was my week to do Addie's little preschool. On Friday we walked down to Angel Park to spend our playtime there. It was a nice day, but it is quite cold and frosty in the morning and then it warms up. One of the slides facing away from the sun was still really frost covered and one of the boys ran up the stairs and before I knew it was sailing down that slide like a bullet. It's a fast slide anyway by design and with that bit of ice blanketing the top it was like a bobsled shute. He came flying off that thing and landed on his bum on the ground. It was funny. Then before I knew it the next boy was coming down--same thing, flying fast and he was a kind of out of control and leaning back and he shot off the end and landed on his back and hit his head on the ground. He got up wailing. His bum was all wet from scraping off all the ice, as I was trying to comfort him Adelaide was taking her turn. I watched her hoping she wouldn't suffer the same fate. What was I worried about? He came off that thing like a cannon being shot, but she landed it perfectly on her feet. Maybe the boys had worn off all the icy stuff, but I like to think she was just that much more coordinated then them.
On Tues. Elko played Spring Creek at SC. Our girls beat them by 20 pts. It was the weakest Spring Creek team I think I've ever seen or can remember. It was a pretty boring game, not like the great rivalries of your day. Elko has a pretty balanced team, they get a lot of scoring from a bunch of different girls. The boys game was not a surprise, we beat them by 30ish and Cody was second behind Nate in scoring with 11. I felt bad for Caden Gunnell, he plays so hard and in all his high school years as yet to beat Elko.
The weekend games were more of the same, we played Sparks on Fri. and enacted the Mercy Rule when we went ahead by 40 pts. that was a crazy game. Elko scored 15 three point shots, everybody was making them. (I think that was a school record) As a team we shot 70% from behind the arc. Eric Klekas has been on fire, the next night against Truckee he was high scorer with 7 out of 10 threes. He comes in for Cody, which has affected his play time, but we can use that kind of shooting at state so we will just keep it "team minded".
Summer is playing PAL and Dad is going to coach her team and I will assist. We have our first practice tonight. We had the missionaries for dinner last night and Sister Richmond from Tahiti is done with her field experience and is going back to temple square next week. She was super sweet, we will miss her. Sister Ardis Jensen shared a sweet experience from their mission in her weekly newsletter. They have a Sister who is Brazilian serving there and she is in the states on a student visa and it was going to expire one month before her mission was complete, so she had to leave her mission early so she could return to college in Utah and renew her visa. She stayed in the field as long as possible, leaving with just enough days to prepare for school. Sister Jensen said she watched this young missionary as she was preparing to leave the Visitors Center for the last time and she went into the Christis Room, where they have a white Statue of the Savoir like the one on Temple Square, and said her "goodbye" to that beautiful symbol. She said she had tears streaming down her face. That is such a sweet image to me. I get emotional every time I recount it.
I love you so much and love that you are serving a mission, we don't worry about you at all, we know you are in the best place possible. Love, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment