Querida Hermana Nielsen,
I think our nice weather is over. It got cold on Sat. and snowed in the mountains. I guess it is suppose to get a in the low 60's later in the week.
We had a good busy week. I had my accounting class on Monday so that is always a long day. Getting home around 10 pm and starting my day at 5 am.
On Wed. we had our truck or treat combined with the elko 4th ward. There were alot of people there. We all ate chile after the treating. It was good to associate with the members of the 4th ward. Then on Thursday night, Elko played Spring Creek in Football for the final game of the season. It was a very exciting and interesting game. We got the opening kick off and marched down the field and had first and goal inside the 10, but we could not score. We went for it on forth down and did not score a touch down. Spring Creek got the ball and moved down the field. On one play the runner was stopped and we stripped the ball out and it landed in front of a spring creek player who ran it about 40 yards, which was a lucky play. But they scored a touch down, went for 2 point conversion and made it, so it was 8-0 for spring creek. Spring creek kicked off and we ran it back to the 45 yard line. And on our first snap, we fumbled it and gave it back to spring creek. From here it went back and forth and Elko eventually scored to make it 8-7 at half time. Cody had a big sack on the SC quarterback and caused him to fumble, but SC recovered it. That him changed the momentum in Elko's favor. In the 2nd half, SC scored again and went up 15-7. Elko eventually scored again I believe in the 4th quarter, and went for 2 and made it, so the game was tied. We about 4 minutes to go in the game. Elko was driving the ball down the field. They came up with a 3 and 15 and they went to the wild cat, where they but their big boys on the offensive line and put Benton, Cody and Jordan Walters in the backfield, (the big power backs) and they gave the ball to Cody and he busted it to the out side and out ran a couple of players and ran over another and made 19 yards for the 1st down. It was a great run. So we kept the drive alive, and got down to the 8 yard line with 2:58 to go in the game. Cody was back in the Wildcat position and I know he was going to score a touchdown and not be denied. However, they hiked the ball to him and he took his eyes off it to look where he was going to go, and it went threw his hands and hit his shoulder pads and he went to catch it again and the SC player hit him and he fumbled the ball. A SC player picked up the fumble and ran it back for a touch down with 2:45 to play in the game and now SC led 22-15. They kicked off to us and we marched down the field and scored in 45 seconds and we went for 2 points and made it and we went ahead for the 1st time in the game 23-22. And we ended up holding them and winning the game. Cody was lucky, I did not want him to have to remember losing the game to his rivals his senior year and having to remember that for the rest of his life. I told him afterwards, he needed to thank his team for bailing him out and he said he already had. IT was a good exciting game that lived up to the big rivalry.
Friday was Nevada day, so Summer, cody and I went deer hunting for summer's deer. We did not leave very early, we got a late start and it was 8 in the morning before we got to the area we wanted to hunt in area 7, northeast of wells, NV. So we started hunting and were following a bunch a tracks. Elk and deer. It was in the area where we were hunting elk for Cody. But it was a very enjoyable hiked, nothing steep, just rolling hills. We could have walked all day. We got to this big canyon and we were going to have Cody walk down the middle and summer and I up top so we could see the game moving. We were getting our walkie talkie radios ready and talking, and I looked at Summer and she all of a sudden got very interested in something down the mountain. She took a couple a steps down, but did not day a word. I asked her, Summer, do you see something, and she shakes her head yes. So Cody goes over there and he sees something moving. I look in the Binos and it is a doe and a fawn. But she told Cody she saw one with horns. But we could not see any thing and it was in thick juniper trees. So I said shoot the doe. And we fumbled around for about 5 minutes trying to get her situated and have her find the doe in the scope. She has to shoot left handed as she can't close her left eye by itself. The doe just stood there and looked at us. We did not know if the gun was sited in or not, so I thought it would be good for her to take a chance. She shot and dropped it. So she is 1 for 1. It was a nice big doe. We did see the buck run off after she shot the doe, but we would have never been able to get a shot off as it took so long for her to get set up. Cody carried the doe back to the truck on his shoulders. We shot her at noon and was back home about 3:30 pm. It was a very fun and enjoyable hunt. I found a real indian arrow head made out of flint on the trail on the way back.
Sat. I had scout meetings at the church and watch some football. It was very cold and wendy and a nice day to be inside.
Well we hope you have a great week. We love you and pray for you daily. We did get your package with the letters, thank you very much. Cody and I love the ties.
Love
Dad
Dearest Hermanita Nielsen,
I really liked your little miracle you mentioned in your last letter, about the guy who had a dream about his grandparents and how he needed to do their temple work. I think missions are full of miracles. I get the Jensen's weekly newsletter from their Hawaii mission and its always full of (non) "coincidences". We received your little package last week. That was really special. We read all the little messages to each other for FHE. Thank you so much for your sweet letter to me. I loved it. Have you gotten the package we sent to you?
On Wednesday I went with Carly's class on a field trip to the California Trail Center-- you know the one off the freeway. It was really good. The last time I was there it was only about half finished, but now there are alot more displays and it is really a great place. Halloween (Oct. 31) was Nevada Day and so there has been a big celebration this year because its the 150th anniversary of Statehood. Carly and all the other 4th graders were singing "Home means Nevada" on the way over on the bus. They had learned it in music class. That night we also went to Trunk or Treat at the church. Carly invited her little Philipino friend Danielle, and her sisters came too. Landrie Goulding was there dressed as "Miranda", nerdy looking and with a big smear of red lipstick. It was pretty clever. I thought you would appreciate that if you saw her.
Thursday was the big Elko VS Spring Creek game. It was kind of a freaky night. The Elko freshman who were undefeated, lost to SC something like 43-0, then the JV lost and Kyren Allen got hurt and left with a head injury. Dad did a great job of filling you in on the details of the Varsity game. It should never have been that close 23-22, but its SC, they were out of the playoffs regardless of losing and we were in no matter what. so, it was just one of those play for pride things. They played us well and it was just kind of a weird game where things worked in their favor a lot.
We didn't have school because of Nevada Day on Halloween, so Summer got to go on her first hunting trip. She held her own and shot a doe, bringing in the only meat this year. Cody got tag soup- twice! I went up to the church where they were having this activity to write to missionaries and military people. Tyler Gowens mom was there and she said he is doing so well and every picture she sees of him, he is just glowing. Some members where he is serving have become friends with her on facebook and they post a lot of pictures of him. She also said she just got to talk to him because Argentina just had their mothers' Day and so he got to call on that one too. Later that day I went out with the Sister missionaries and we went to a lady's house that they had contacted while walking around, and she had just left , but there was a black guy living there, who was a friend and we talked to him for an hour. He said he was atheist, but he really wasn't. He started out kind of snarky, but by the end he was really fascinated by Joseph Smith and the idea of a restoration of the true church. It was really fun. I can understand how rewarding a mission is to see peoples' whole thinking process and attitude change for good.
I love that you are being changed as well, by being a missionary of this wonderful gospel. Don't worry about weight gain, Amber is actually proud of you for not being preoccupied with your appearance. I am sure you will lose any weight you gain when you get home. She is back to her normal now. I love you Baby, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment