Monday, November 24, 2014

Turkey Day is Coming

Hola Hermana Nielsen,
 
We are a little slow getting our letters out to you today.  I appoligize for that.  Last week was a blur.  I had a big report due on Friday and that is what I was working on all week.  It has been real cold here in the mornings and Saturday, it rained almost all day.  Chelsea and Brian drove up from New Mexico for Thanksgiving and I was worried about the roads but they got to Elko about 7:30 pm.  I guess the roads were pretty good for the most part.  Amber will come home on Tuesday.  It will be great to have the entire family together for thanksgiving.
 
Cody had basketball tryouts on Monday and Tuesday.  And he made the team.  They have 9 seniors on the team with the fab five and 14 total.  He likes bball but does not like Klekas much.
 
He dreads the practices as all they do is run.  He wants to work on his skills more.  Summer played her 1st games in bball for Adobe.  She did not play at all the 1st game and her team beat Owyhee.  In the 2nd game she started and made her 1st basket and missed a couple more shots, but early in the first half, she jumped up and came down on someones foot and sprained her ankle.  So it is all swollen and she is hoping around.  She is disappointed.  Hopefully, it will heal quickly.
 
There was a nice letter to the editor from one of the Moapa Valley parents telling the Elko team and parents that they were 1st class and all acted in dignity.  Her son only had one arm and caught a 42 yard pass and she was impressed that many of the Elko fans clapped and cheared.  I did not even realize that he only had one arm.  So I wasn't clapping.  It was a touching article.
 
We had a good Sunday yesterday.  We had a guy over for dinner who just got baptized 3 weeks ago and another family who Brian and Chelsea knew and were good friends at BYU who now live in our ward.  It was a fun day and great Sabboth.
 
Well we love you and are happy you are having miracles with your teaching.  It is amazing how the Lords provides the way for those who are ready and searching.  I had to teach part of the 5th sunday discussion yesterday in church on the retention of new converts.  But I was the last speaker and did not have much time.
 
Have a great week.  We are very grateful that you are serving a mission and preaching the Lord's gospel.  Our family has been extremely blessed.  Always be thankful for all you have.
 
Love,
 
DAD
 

Dearest Hermanita  Nielsen,
I just finished reading your letter and I loved your miracle stories!  That is amazing.  I can picture what you describe when you talk about the mamitas in their colorful dress and are the hats kind of flat with like pom pom kind of trim on the edges?  The BYU Fokddancers did a Peruvian dance, and I remember the costumes had lots of woven fabrics in a rainbow of colors.  I never got to learn that dance unfortunately. 

Chelsea and Brian arrived here on Sat. night, they will spend the rest of the week here and go home this coming Sat.  Adelaide was a bit shy at first, but she warmed up and by the end of the evening she had Brian reading her books, and riding him like a horse.  Earlier that morning we went to Adobe MS because Summer had basketball games. The first game she didn't even get off the bench.  That is unusual for a Nielsen, but they were playing Owyhee and they were one of the better teams.  She started the next game against Jackpot and scored one of the first baskets and then just before the end of the first half she came down on her foot and rolled her ankle.  I could tell she was hurt because she was hobbling out there.  They took her out and put ice on it, but her season may be over before it really got started.  It's just a minor sprain, but its swollen and sore.  She said her foot looked a lot like yours now.  Cody had a typical birthday... I was trying to get things ready for Chels and Brian and he had practice, so by 7 pm when he got home we just kind of postponed what I was going to cook and since I told him to order what he wants, he didn't have anything to open.  He's so great about it though.   I did make him a wonderful breakfast though, with sausage.  Chelsea and Brian got him a BYU sweatshirt and he was happy with that.  Addie had a talk to give on sunday on repentance, Chelsea helped her prepare a talk about the Alma the Younger story. She had it all down and then when she went to give she got really shy and wouldn't say a word, so Chelsea basically gave it.
I'm out of time!  Have a Happy Thanksgiving!  
Love you so much
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment