Hola Elder Nielsen,
So how are you holding up with the heat. It has been very hot here the past 10 days getting up into the high 90's. So I have been thinking of you a lot. But we do not have the humidity.
Funny story about Adelaide before I forget. Today I was a sub. Teacher for her primary class, and she came up to me and ask, "So Dad, what are we going to talk about today?" And before I could answer her, she said, "So, what are the answers?" She was trying to get prepped before the class so she could know all the answers. Carly and Summer both said, "Adelaide, that is cheating". I had a good laugh over that.
So this week, I have been kicking back and trying to recover from the audit. Summer was at girls camp all week and came home Friday. I took Thursday and Friday off of work and Mom and I fixed and repainted the Middle bay window blinds. It was a lot of work, but they practically look brand new. I ordered about $100 worth of parts to fix up many of our blinds, and we are going to repaint all of them. Jerry Harris has asked me if I will go down to the church and help him with his shot in basketball. So 2 nights last week, I met him at the church and worked with him on his form. He is eager to improve, but I am not sure I can spend every night down there with him.
On Saturday, we went to the 4th of July parade and the girls cleaned up on the candy. I got a call at 6:30 am Saturday morning from Ramon Zugazaga asking if Summer would sing the National Anthem for the opening of the Basque festival. She was still asleep, but I told him I would ask and get back to him. I thought there is no way Summer would do that. There would be lots of people there for that event. So I was thinking, that perhaps I could help him out and find someone else that would be willing. I thought about the Welch girls, the little esplin girl, Burk Madsen, etc. But to my surprise, Summer said she would do it. So we worked on it a few times, she had a hard time hitting all those high notes. But we went over to the Basque place and she sung and did quite well. She struggled with one high note, but other than that she did just fine. Ramon was very appreciative for her doing that and pulled out $100 bill from his wallet and gave it to her. He said it was from the basque club, but I guarantee you it was his own money. He also gave each of us a free Churiso, so Summer paid for our lunch as well. Ramon gave Summer a big hug afterwards.
So Sum Sum is now a paid professional singer. Watch out Natalie Ai Kamauu. A famous singer from amber's mission.
Today we had the Elders from our ward and the Sister Missionaries over the YSA branch over for dinner. It was great having sister missionaries in our home again. They were very cute, out going and bubbling with energy. They told us as they were leaving, "You have a great spirit here in your home". That is something Mom and I want to always have in our home. We want people to feel spirit while they are in our home.
That is very sad to here about your companion losing his dad. Tell him our family fasted for him and his family that they might be comforted.
Summer got home from girls camp and had a good time. Mom had Chelsea, Amber, and Erin write the letters from home to Summer and they were all very adorable and precious. Mom and I decided that we have the best family in the world. We have great kids.
This next Saturday, we are planning on going to the Moon cousin reunion and then we are going to drive down to New Mexico to visit Chelsea and Brian. I am trying to make about 9 pounds of jerky for them, but we will see how much is left by time we get down there. The kids still eat it like hot cakes.
Keep working hard. You have hit you 1 year mark and this next year will be very exciting and interesting. The language should be good and you can now concentrate on teaching with the spirit and following the prompting of the spirit. Remember, that it is the spirit that soften's hearts, that changes attitudes and behavior, and it is the spirit that converts and bares witness of the Savior and Heavenly Father. Having the spirit with you and teaching by the spirit is the most important thing for you as a missionary.
We look forward to this next year being very successful. Keep working hard and give him every second you have and every last bit of energy. This past year has just flown by way too quickly. It is hard to imagine that we were up in Idaho a little more than a year ago.
We love you, and pray for your success every day. May the Lord pour down his blessing upon you and your companion.
Love,
Dad
Dearest Elder Nielsen,
We were very sorry to hear about the hard week you and companion had. That must have been very hard for you to know what was coming, before your Pres. came to break the news. We included Elder Mahinay in our fast today and hope that he will feel comforted and at find some peace.
Summer left for Girls' Camp on Monday morning, and as in past years they asked that the parents write a letter to their girl that they will open and read at a special time up at camp. You wrote to her last year, which was wonderful. I had written a letter for her for trek and so I thought it would be nice to get one from someone else. I thought it would be fun for her to read letters from her 3 older sisters; giving her advice as she gets ready to start high school--kind of their own version of "What I wish I'd known in high school". The letters are very special. I read them and they were very sweet, and helpful and full of love for Summer, exactly what I was hoping for. I will send them to you and you can read them when you have time.
I signed Adelaide up for the library's Summer Reading Program. Carly thought she was too old for all the little toy prizes they give out each week, and Summer reads a lot on her own anyway, One of the activity camps they offered this year was a Hip Hop Dance class. I thought Ads would have fun with that, so I signed her up. Carly and I went and watched and we learned a few things: 1. Flexibility is a family challenge. 2. Swagger and attitude are big part of Hip Hop. 3. Ads resembles you when she dances.
The Simons got a 4 month old puppy from the shelter a few weeks ago. They are on vacation this week and asked us if we would take care of her. "Maybelle" is a black lab/springer mix. She is really sweet, but still a puppy. Chica wrassles with her and they get along quite well. Its weird to see Chica playing with another dog. Its been really good for her.
Summer sang the National Anthem for the Basque Festival. Ramone, her soccer coach called and asked us if she could do that knowing that she was a "singer" and in Choraliers. She did a good job with her sweet, soft voice.
We had the Elders in our ward and the Sister missionaries from the singles branch over for dinner. It was fun having lots of missionaries at our table. We had sloppy joes, salad, watermelon and blue berry crumb cake.
No comments:
Post a Comment