Sunday, March 19, 2017

Sweet 16


Dear Elder Nielsen,

We had another busy week. The weather has been great, low 70's high 60's. Perfect weather, but it is suppose to snow this next week. So we have to enjoy the wonderful weather as we have it. The NCAA tourny is in full swing. It has been kind of a boring year. I went 15 for 16 my first day. Only 2 upsets and I picked a 3rd upset which did not happen. Villanova, a #1 seed got beat by Wisconsin yesterday, but I was in my office all day.  

I had my class on Monday so that was a stressful and long day getting everything ready for that. Wednesday, mom and I went to the self reliance deal which we are not sure why we are there. Most of the people there are facilitators so it is the choir preaching to the choir. Mom and I have decided that we really do not have 2 hours a week for 3 months to go and do that specially during busy season. So I talked to bishop Olsen and thought it might be better for us to do it another time. The people in the stake that really need that program are not attending.

Thursday we had YMYW. Nothing too special there. I did not watch any games on Thursday in March madness. Friday I watched a few games in the evening.

Saturday, we got up early and did the papers, then I tried to work on taxes and I could not log in to my computer. It gave me an windows error telling me I could not log in. So again I was freaking out not being able to access my tax programs or files and during this time of year, that is a scary deal. So I took Summer to her track meet and spent the day in my office trying to log in to my computer. When I finally did, 2/3rds of my programs were gone and not on my homepage. So I called Dwaine hiles and he came down to my office and helped me get my tax program and files back. I still do not have most of the other things I lost, but at this point, all I need are my tax files and program. I worked all day until 3:30 on taxes. Then we went to the church and cleaned the church. I came back and worked on taxes until about 11 pm. I needed to have a huge day as I have less than a month left for taxes. 

We had a good day at church. After church I went with Andrew Bauman to take the sacrament to the shut-ins. Sister Ballard always asks how cody is doing. I thought that was cute. We had left overs for dinner and I took a nap. Mom and I are going home teaching and then I have a priesthood leadership meeting this evening.

Addie last week was sitting on the coach and said something about being "proactive". Where in the world did she come up with that word?

This will be short and sweet. I hope you have a great week, and we look forward to learning of your next assignment. Keep being exactly obedient and work as hard as you can. We love you and are happy you are serving a mission.

Love,

Dad 


Dearest Elder Nielsen,

I'm wondering if you will be transferred or who your new companion will be.  We were disappointed last week when we didn't get a letter.  We thought it might have been transfer week.  I'm happy you got to go to the temple and see one of the people you taught go to the temple.  That is the best.  Full circle.  This past week was kind of a blur.  Dad had his birthday on thursday.  I made him  his favorite casserole, the one with the chinese noodles on top and his birthday cake was the one with carmel topping and Heath Bars crumbled on top. We didn't really do anything too special--you know Dad, his idea of the ideal birthday is to eat the two things mentioned above and to be able to just watch March Madness.  Check.

My old college roommate Paula and her husband came through on their way to California for Spring Break and to visit her mom who is getting older.  She said her daughter Keisha is engaged to a guy from her mission, Peru-Lima Central.  He was the AP and went home a transfer before she did and took some things home for her.  Then when she went home, she brought some stuff that he wanted from Peru.  He went to her house to pick up the stuff and they were inseparable after that.  She got home in Aug. and they are getting married in June.  Paula is working on her PhD at BYU in Neuro-something.  She is studying the affects of concussions on the brain.  She said if we ever go to campus and visit her she will do a brain scan on our heads as part of her research.

Saturday, Summer had a track meet at EHS.  Coach Krenka is trying her out in some different races to see where her strength is.  She ran an 800 in the 4x800 relay.  They took 3rd.  Then she ran the mile, which she was not too excited about, but she tied her PR 6:27.  She also ran in the 4x400 relay again and anchored that, and they won quite easily.  She isn't taking the track scene by storm, but she is doing quite well, and I think she will just continue to improve.  
We went to the church and cleaned as part of our assignment, then later that evening the girls and I went to the high school to watch the Senior Walk, since it was Prom.  I wanted to go see how Sophie Goulding's dress turned out since her Mom made it.  It was very bright and colorful--not your typical poofy prom frock.

I was asked to speak in church today on "Self Reliance".  It went OK.  I shared the Hot Dog story about how when Dad and I went shopping together shortly after we were married and how he was eager to inflict, I mean instill a budget on our household. He shared the great idea of using slices of bread instead of buns when eating hot dogs, because it was a lot cheaper.  I wasn't too thrilled about the idea and just told him to give me the budget and that I would stick to it.  Its worked out pretty well since then.
Do your best.  Love, Mom

PS there was a video (Caught on Security camera) shown on the news of two missionaries in Brazil who were being robbed at gun point on the street.  As soon as that gun was pulled out , somehow one of the missionaries quickly grabbed it from the guy and then he through it over a high metal fence that was right next to the sidewalk, then he set down his satchel and went on the offensive and started wailing on the little Brazilian.  The missionary was a big guy--like 300lbs, and he gave that robber a fight.  Its kind of funny to watch.  I think the missionary just reacted to the situation.  Stay safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment