Dear Elder Nielsen,
Another week in the books. Monday I had my accounting class and got home after 10 pm. Tuesday, Mom and I went to the Red Lion to the buffet as it was the last day we could use our tickets I won. It was Italian night. It was good, but nothing to brag about. I am glad it was free. The 2 ladies that were serving us were from the Philippines so I used my Tagalog on them. You arm pits stink. and they just throw their heads back and give a big old belly laugh.
On Tuesday after basketball, my elbow started hurting. I could hardly move it and it swelled up. I think it might be shooters elbow or tendonitis. It is really sore and when I move it, it pops like your ankles, but the popping is painful. So I don't know what I did to it. It did not go to bball on Thursday and I could not shoot or pass with my right arm. I would have had to do everything left handed. I hope it gets better. It does not hurt as badly today, but it is still sore and pops every so often.
Wednesday was a usual day. Thursday, we did not have Mutual as we had a Face to Face with Elder Holland and President Eyring. But I had to go to the church to meet with a lady wanting church assistance and set her up on a budget. Then the bishop met with her, so I had to stick around and wait for them to have the double leadership present.
Friday I had to go to Elko high school and talk to 2-3 classes about college and financial aid. Friday evening we stayed home and relax.
Saturday, we had a beautiful day. It was in the 50s. We did the paper route and then Summer went and ran the running part of the triathlon. Me and the 2 older girls had the Face to Face Saturday morning at 10 am. It was great and I learned lots of things. Afterwards they fed up lunch and then we put together Hygiene kits. I came home and worked on taxes for 3 hours and watched BYU mens bball team beat Loyola Marymount University in the quarter finals of the WCC tournament. The BYU girls team won in overtime. So now both teams are in the semis. Next Sunday is selection Sunday and March madness officially begins.
Saturday evening we went with the Harris family to the Elko boys bball team crab feed. The Harris' family buys the tickets and then they never come, so they give them to us. I do their taxes for free in exchange, so it is a good trade off. I still have mixed feelings about that as there is no accountability for the money they make. I think it goes to the Klekas family slush fund. So we don't ever buy or bid on any auction items as I am not supporting the slush fund. There needs to be some accountability of what money comes in and where it goes.
I guess AJ Jordan is getting serious or almost engage with a girl from Korea that served in his mission with him. Amber told us you got accepted to BYU Provo. That is awesome and a great accomplishment. Cole Smith and a girl that got baptized a year ago in the 4th ward Maria got accepted also. But the scored 31 and 30 on their ACT test respectively. I figured if you were meant to go to BYU, Provo, you would be accepted.
Today we had a great fast and testimony meeting. It turned cold again and was snowing and blowing like crazy. We had the sister missionaries over for dinner. We got a new greenie sister fresh out of the MTC from Micronesia, but was adopted and is from Arizona. The 2 sisters are very nice and sweet sisters. They gave us a challenge to find someone for them to teach in our home by the 25th of March. So we are praying to find someone in the 3rd ward for them to teach. We will see how it goes. We set a date, have faith and move towards that date.
Mom and I went home teaching to Sister Sargeant. We love going over there and visiting with her. We have great gospel discussions.
We home you have a great week. We love you and are happy you enjoyed Elder Bednar's visit. Mom and I were wondering if you got any paper cuts turning those pages for you companion. That was probably a rough job seeing that the hymns are all on one page.
Keep working hard and being exactly obedient to the end. Try to accomplish every thing the Lord wanted you to accomplish on your mission to the Philippines. We saw Dr. Hernandez at the crab feed and they had their niece visiting them from the Philippines. So of course I had to test me Tagalog on her and tell her Ma bajo un kili kili mo, that her arm pits stink. They all had a good laugh and mom never understands why.
Did we tell you last week that Jimmer had 73 points in one game in the China league.
Have a super week.
Love,
Dad
Dearest Elder Nielsen,
Wow, we made it to March! It even felt a bit like Spring this week, but it snowed today, so things are back to normal. This week at Adelaide's school it was Reading/Dr. Suess week and they got to dress up each day for the theme. Wednesday, was "Wacky Wednesday", but she didn't really want to dress up. Carly tried to encourage her by saying that she loved Wacky Wednesday and planned her costume out the night before. Erin was the Wacky winner, as I recall. Ads was still not convinced, but she actually kind of dressed a little crazy that day just naturally--bright flowered pants and an animal print shirt. The next day was "Pajama Day" and she didn't want to wear her jammies because they were a onesie and she said to go to the bathroom she would have to zip down and be naked in the stall and they don't have locks. But, in a way she did go in her jammies because some of the time she falls asleep in her clothes and sleeps in them. It all works out.
Summer started track practice this week. She ran the mile in Jr. High, but she said she didn't really like it, so she is trying sprints instead. (the work-outs are easier) The triathlon that the EHS track team puts on every year was last Saturday. She did the running portion on her 3-man team. It was a 5k and she said it was OK. Dad teased her about getting lost and just running home-- or maybe that was aimed at Erin. We still laugh about that, that was a classic! I picked her up and then had to take her to the Church for the broadcast of Face to Face with Elder Eyring and Elder Holland. Adelaide got invited to a tea party that the Simons were going to. It was a fund raiser for some group. She got all dressed up and I curled her hair, she was sooo excited about it. She said it was OK, I don't think she liked all the fancy-smacy little finger sandwiches and the other food so much. It was nice weather on Sat. so I took down all the Christmas lights (finally) and cleaned out the gutters while I was up there. I vacuumed out the cars-- they needed it after the winter. That night it was Dad and I's turn to be invited to a fundraiser. The Harris' had extra tickets to the EHS Boys' Basketball Crab Feed and they gave them to us. SCORE! It was packed. I think it gets bigger every year. There's a lot of money flowing into that thing--as well as others "stuff" flowing to loosen up the wallets. The crab was good, the music was loud, and the company was kind of crazy, but its all for a good cause.
We had the missionaries for dinner--Sister Martinez and Sister Graser. They challenged us to invite a family in the the 3rd ward boundaries, to be taught the missionary discussions in our home. We said we would do that. Pray for us. It sounds like your finding and teaching are going well. As you get close to the final months, keep focused and put forth your best efforts.
We love our boy! Love, Mom
We love our boy! Love, Mom
PS Amber told us that you were accepted to BYU-Provo !! She said so with kind of a heavy heart, she said she was happy for you, but said you now have options. (She was hoping ID) We know you will choose where you are supposed to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment