Hello Elder Nielsen,
How was your week? We had another busy week. I was in Seattle Washington and got home around 10 pm on Tuesday. I did not go out and see any thing there. When I was not in classes, I was in my room trying to finish up tax returns. I did meet a couple of people that worked at the hotel who were from the Philippines, and of course I had to tell them that their arm pits stink which is a great ice breaker. I had a lady come into the financial aid office a few weeks ago from the Philippines, she understood Tagalog but spoke sebu. The little sister in our ward from the Philippines is a convert since 2011, so that is great that she is on her mission. She said she wrote you an email as 2 of her friends are serving in the Quezon City North mission. She was not sure she had the correct email address.
I went to work on Wednesday to try and get caught up from being out of the office a few days. I took Thursday off and worked on Taxes all day long. I am making good progress, but still have a lot to do. I went to mutual Thursday night. They called mom to be a den mother in addition to the nursery calling. On Friday, I had meetings at work, so I went to work. Erin, Landon and Emma got here on Wednesday. Little Emma is a little tank. I think all she does is eats and sleeps. But she is a cute little thing. I can't see any Nielsen traits in her. We think she has a Croft nose and looks more like the Welch's side.
Summer had a JV track meet on Friday and ran the mile. She took 5th place at 6:21, but it was cold and snowy that day. She was suppose to go with the varsity to a meet at Boise State, but she told him she wanted to see her sister and niece. I guess Benton walked on to Boise State's football team. He played in their spring game on the 2nd string defense at middle linebacker. He thought he did ok, not too terrible, but the coaches seem to like him. I guess coach Gilligan used his brother's contacts to set all that up.
Saturday, we got up early and did the paper route. I had to be at a clients house at 6:30 am to do their taxes and then be at the church for a priest laurel activity at the church with the missionaries. We then went to the Elko Federal Credit Union annual meeting. Addie and Carly won $25 each and that was it. But we got free orange juice and donuts. Afterwards I had a training at the stake center for young men leaders and scout leaders. Our speaker worked at the Provo MTC for 4 years and was talking about how scouting prepares young men for missions. He said he interviewed 17 return mission presidents and asked them what traits make the best missionaries. They all said these four items:
1. They know how to work hard
2. They made obedience a personal quest
3. They are good communicators and look people in the eyes
4. They have a testimony of the BOM and the gospel.
They also wished that all missionaries would have 1 significant away from home experience before their missions, learned work ethic, and had leadership opportunities.
You will have to ask your mission president what his opinions are about those subjects.
After the meeting I came home and worked on taxes for a few hours until 5 pm and then Carly, summer and I went back to a fireside by that same guy, Brad Harris and he talked more about preparing for missions etc. It was good. Came home, worked on more taxes and mom worked on making Emma her blessing dress out of scraps from hers and Erin's wedding dresses.
Today was Easter Sunday, our early morning meetings were canceled. But we went to our church for all 3 meetings, they were good. Then we came home and went to the 2nd ward's sacrament meeting where Emma was blessed. Landon did a great job and it was a great service. When Emma fussed a little, I got to take her out. All you have to do is give her a bottle and she is completely content and goes to sleep. Kind of like her mama, eats and sleeps.
We are watching a young couple's 2 kids (the Wheeler's) now as they teach missionary prep. The 2nd ward is as small as the elko 3rd ward. The NBA playoffs have started Utah is in it, first time in 5 years. They beat the Clippers with a shot at the buzzer. I applied for our tags. I put you in for deer, antelope, Desert bighorn and California bighorn, So we will see what happens. Elko's baseball team is 10-4 when I last checked and tied for 1st with Spring Creek.
Have a great week. We love you and pray for you daily. I will be extremely happen when the 18th is passed and I am finished with taxes for a while. Keep working hard and be a great example of what a missionary should be all the way to the finish.
Love,
Dad
Dearest Elder Nielsen,
Today, in the 2nd ward Emma Jean Welch was blessed by her Daddy. He did a good job, you could tell he loves that little girl a lot. Erin and Landon arrived in Elko on Wed. late afternoon. Emma has grown alot since I had last seen her. She is just a little chunker, and sooo cute! She smiles and the consensus is that she looks like Landon. It was really nice to have them here for a visit. Erin cut Dad's and my hair, while she was here. She also took pictures of Scott Nisbet and his fiance for their engagement pictures. She and Landon went to the school and visited during Choraliers one day and spent time with us and with the Welches. It was nice to have them here. I sewed Emma's blessing dress. I had originally planned to use Erin's wedding dress train in combination with fabric from mine. I cut the train off the dress, but it wasn't really suitable for the pattern that I had. I used more fabric from my dress. I used a pattern that I hadn't used before so some parts were a little tricky. It turned out fine. I wasn't especially happy with everything. It had quite a few flaws, but overall it did the trick and looked nice.
On Monday, we went overt to the Simons house to dye Easter Eggs. Dad was in Seattle for a conference, so he missed out. We came home with 18 colored eggs. We have been eating deviled eggs and egg salad this week.
Friday Summer had a JV track meet at the school. She only ran the mile. It was a cold, windy, miserable day, Summer's time went up from the last time she ran; but that isn't unusual, given the weather.
We went to the annual Credit Union meeting on Sat. morning. We didn't win any of the good prizes, but Carly and Ads got their envelopes with the $25, and we got free donuts, so that was OK.
The Sister from the Philippines said that she sent you an email to ask you if you knew her trainer or some other sisters in your mission that she knows. She wasn't sure if she spelled your name right though. I was thinking about this and other than Spanish I think Tagolog is a more widely spoken language here than any other. there is a healthy population here.
I was sustained today as the new "wolf" cub leader. That is brand new territory for me. I'm sure I'll learn a lot.
Well, Happy Easter my dear boy. We had a quiet Easter dinner today. but it was really good.
Love you lots, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment