Sunday, April 9, 2017

More of the Same


Hola Elder Nielsen,

Another week in the books. As I look back, I can't remember much that happened. I have had a really bad sore throat all week, and Carly was sick on Wednesday, so she and I stayed home from work and school. Addie has missed a few days as she says she doesn't feel well either. We need to get better before Emma comes to visit us. On Tuesday night my throat hurt so badly that I could not sleep. I had a little nap before 11 pm, but when I went to bed, I was up from 11 to 4 am, not able to sleep.

We got a new missionary in our ward this week and she is from the Philippines. I have not met her yet and don't know where she is from. Someone told us she served in the Philippines before she came to the states waiting for a visa.  I have been working on taxes all week trying to get them all out and done. On Saturday morning I got up a 3 am to get showered and ready to catch my flight to Seattle, WA for a WASFAA conference. We got to SLC and it was raining real hard in SLC, but our flight was suppose to leave at 9:46 and we did not end up leaving SLC until 3 pm. They said there were bad storms in Atlanta with tornadoes and that messed up all the flights for 2-3 days. We were waiting for a flight crew to come in from Vegas and they were delayed. Any way, I sat in the airport and figured out all our hunting tag apps. I just put the 2 girls in for deer. With Summer in sports it is hard to find a free weekend to hunt. So I used it to my advantage. I had not applied for yours yet as I will do that online.

We got to Seattle and to our hotel about 6-7 pm. I had to figure out the closest church and figure the bus routes to get there.  So this morning I woke up early and walked to the bus station around 7 and caught a bus and it took me to about .5 mile from the church and then I walked the rest of the way. But it was good. I got there about 50 minutes before it started. A little old Spanish speaking lady was there in the chapel so she and I had a good conversation in Spanish for 50 minutes. She said she joined the church in 2009 but did not understand much as it was all in English. She was asking me what the conference was all about, so I played her a couple talks in Spanish on my ipad.  But it was a good ward and had a great bishop and a great spirit there. A gentlemen in the high priest group gave me a ride back to my hotel in his Jaguar.

I can't think of much else to say. Summer went to Boise on Sat. for a varsity track meet. They gave her a varsity uniform now, so I guess that means she is on varsity.

We hope you enjoyed conference. I have re-listened to a couple sessions this week and it was great the 2nd time as well. Keep working hard and we hope you turn that area around and have a lot of success.  I met a family here in my hotel from Guatemala and was  talking to them about Braden Nielsen serving in the mountains. 

On Monday, Gonzaga last to North Carolina by about 6 points. Gonzaga was up by 1 with 2 minutes to go and ended up losing. The sister missionaries came over to say goodbye so we missed the last minute or so. But it was ok, we will miss Sister Martinez from Puerto Rico. She is a real sweet heart.

We love you and pray for you daily. I will be happy to get through this last week of taxes. There are still about 8 clients who have not gave me their tax info. yet. I told the missionaries here in Seattle that you were trying to find 35 new investigators a week, and the one elder said, he did not know if he had found 35 new investigators in his entire mission. So be grateful that you are serving in an area where the people are humble and willing to listen.

Have a great week.

Dad





Dearest Elder Nielsen,

That's kind of a boring title for my letter, but I couldn't think of anything more appropriate.  Things are just moving along, there really wasn't anything too exciting this week.  Monday, the girls and I went to the Elko County School Art Show at the museum.  Summer had a piece of art that was submitted by her art teacher.  I really enjoy looking at children's art.  Summer got a third place ribbon on her graphic art piece.  That's really pretty good considering that just getting your art into the show goes through a selection process.  She doesn't think she is very artistic, but what she does turns out pretty neat.

Dad left Sat. morning for a conference in Seattle.  He'll be gone until Tues.  I took him to the airport at 5am and then Summer had to be at the high school before 5:30 to catch the bus for a track meet in Boise.  It was a miserable day for a track meet--rainy, windy and cold.  So, it was just Carly and Ads and I home.  I worked on their room some more.  I am finishing up painting the closet doors and trim.  It has turned out cute.  Now we just have to but it all back together.

Erin and Landon and baby Emma are coming this week.  BYU-I winter semester just ended and they are going to bless Emma this Sunday (Easter) in the Welch's ward.  I am going to make her a little blessing dress out of Erin's extra fabric from her wedding dress.

We have a new sister missionary in our ward.  She is from the Philippines!  I just met her today, so I don't know what part she is from, but I'm sure we will find out.  She seems very sweet and bore her testimony today.  Our ward is so small now that testimony meetings sometimes have awkward pauses between speakers.  If it goes too long than you can almost bet Sis. Sargaent will make her way up there--that hasn't changed.  I bore my testimony today.  I shared how much I enjoyed conference and that I especially liked Pres. Monson's talk about reading the Book of Mormon everyday.  I mentioned how we have a pull-up bar in our basement and it has kind of become a tradition that every time I go down in the basement I do a few.  Carly has started doing them too and she went from not being able to do any to being able to do 3!  Just the other day she tried to do some and she could only do 1 and she was kind of upset because she had been able to do 3 before.  I told her that is because she'd not done them for awhile and that that is kind of like a testimony--just because you've read the Book of Mormon and gain a testimony of it, that is not the end of it, you have to continue to work on it and keep it growing or you will loose your strength.

I hope you have a great week.  Did you love conference?  We pray for you and Elder Richards to be safe and have a lot of success in this new area.  Love you lots, Mom

PS You and Elder Nightingale are the new Uncle/ 2nd Cousin to George Alexander Nightingale.  Sarah had her baby on April 6th, but she had to have an emergency C-section, because she had a condition that was pretty serious and she and the baby had a pretty traumatic birth.  The baby had to be life flighted to another hospital that specializes in children's care.  They are both doing OK and recovering, but it was pretty scary there for awhile.



No comments:

Post a Comment