Elder Nielsen,
It was great seeing you the other day and being able to talk to you. Even though there was a lot of Tagalog going on in the back ground. We hope you had a very enjoyable day and a happy New Year. As mom said, it has been snowing here almost every day. I think the paper said last week we had already received 25 inches of snow in the month of December and that did not include this week's accumulation. It has been super cold as well. 2 or 3 days ago the high for the day was 7. It broke a record set in 1924 where the high temperature was 10 degrees. Today the high is suppose to get up to a whopping 10 degrees. The lows are -11 degrees. In Deeth last week it was -22 degrees in the morning, so Elko had to be close to that as Deeth is 20 miles away.
Elko boys bball team played Truckee and Sparks this week. We beat Truckee by about 40 points. Kyron had 3 slam dunks. Last night we played Sparks and they beat Spring Creek the night before. We won 47-37, but it was a back and forth game the entire game. Eric Klekas is averaging 26 points a game and he only had 13. Baum had the high with 14. I guess we could not put the ball in the hoop. It seems like everyone on the team this year is casting up 3's. I told mom, it is probably because they have not been coached by Klekas before and he has not had time to tear them down yet.
This Sat. we play Lowry at Lowry and next Tuesday we play at Spring Creek. So this next week will be the test.
I have been fighting off a cold. About a week ago my ribs hurt so badly that I could not cough or sleep etc. I could hardly breath, so I get up and try to sleep in the rocking chair but couldn't. It wasn't until mom woke up at 5 and gave me some pain medication that I was able to sleep for a couple of hours. I am not sure why my ribs hurt with these colds, but it is so painful that I can't hardly breathe.
It was good to have Amber and Erin home for a few days. I think these girls are trying to break the bank with all these wedding plans. But we are happy they all have good guys. All 3 of them have guys that are perfect for them.
Christmas was nice. I got a -15 degree sleeping bag to try and replace the one we lost at girls camp. That was a -30, so hopefully, it does the job. Mom's Kitchen aide broke so I spent the entire weekend pulling it a part and watching you tube videos to fix it. I have some parts ordered, they should get here today, so we will see if it gets fixed.
We love you. We were happy to see you last week. Keep being obedient and working as hard as you can. Trust in the Lord and he will bless you. Did you have any of those baptisms you were planning.
We will probably write you again on Sunday, but it will be a quick up-date, since these 2 emails are so close together.
Have a super week.
Love
Dad
Dearest Elder Nielsen,
It was freeeeezing cold this morning when I went out to do the papers. I knew it was going to be cold, but usually I warm up after about 15 min.---not so, this morning! My fingertips were icy, and I had to ball them up together for warmth. My legs were numb, but hey, I didn't slip or anything. I took Chica out this morning, she was EXCITED to go as usual. I don't always like to take her, especially if there is snow and ice, but there has been a creepy guy hanging outside of one of the houses we deliver to on Northside Dr. He's never there when Dad delivers to that house. I just don't like encountering him as it appears he doesn't have any pants on, but its dark and I don't linger, but I feel a little safer with "Ol' Blue" in case he decides to wait outside for his paper in just his chonies!
We have a lot of snow too. This whole Christmas Break it has snowed nearly everyday. We have a big snowman out front with the tag, "Elder Nielsen". Amber and the girls made it when she was home over the break.
It was so good to see and talk to you, even though there was a lot of distraction. You looked very happy, and lit up with the spirit. I got to speak in church last sunday for the missionary mom talks. I tried to give a good overview of culture, your everyday experiences, and the spiritual stuff. As I was looking through your emails, I noticed a lot of stories that I didn't ever hear the endings to. Like the wild pigs you ran into--- you were supposed to expound on that story when we talked on Christmas. There was one other one about a guy who read every pamphlet and all the introductory pages in the BOM, much more than was expected of him. Did he get baptized?
What did you think of Kevin, Amber's man? He is a sharp guy, we like him a lot. I am in the final stages of planning Erin's reception. I am borrowing decorations from peoples' Christmas displays around the neighborhood. I have gotten so bold, I just ask if I can use stuff for the wedding and they say "sure, when is it?" I could so be a missionary, I think.
Now, we have Amber and Kevin's to consider--its still early and we may have to be a bit unconventional because there is a difficult time frame to fit everything into with her graduating and then she and Kevin will be in Detroit for the summer with his internship. We will work something out...stay tuned.
Our New Years plans are still up in the air. Dad has been sick all week, not just the sniffles, but the hacking up gunk kind of grumpiness--a mean gunkiness. We had hoped to go to Farmingtion to be with Chelsea and Brian since they are blessing David this sunday, but he hasn't slept much this week, so we will see.
Wish I could blow some of this frigid air your way, have a great week. It was wonderful to see your handsome, beaming face. Love, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment