Sunday, December 6, 2015

Christmas Prep in Full Swing

Dear Elder Nielsen,

So we got up at 3:30 and no papers.  Got up at 4 still no papers.  Got up at 4:30 and they were here, so we hurried and delivered them and headed out hunting.  These papers sure throw a kink in our hunting plans.  So sense we were getting a later start than anticipated, we decided to go to the Moore exit area as it was closer. Bob said he and Gary Powell hunted that area on thanksgiving and that is when they had all the snow, so I was a little nervous. But he said they had seen about 40 elk, nothing real big for them.  I thought mom would shoot any thing at this point, we just wanted elk steaks.  The snow was still about 18 inches, but light an fluffy.  We were heading to that area where I called in your bull, but before we got there, we stopped and glasses and on the left hand side over in the grassy areas with no trees or bushes, we spotted 2 bulls walking/ running.  I also spotted a herd of about 8 bedded down, right in the open, nothing to hide them or us.  They were about 3 miles away.  We spotted 2 other hunters hiking down the mountain (the left part of Black Mtn with no trees or bushes).  They were pushing the bulls. I told connie, let just follow their tracks to their bedding area and we will shoot them. So we got on their tracks and followed them for about 5-6 miles and we never did see them in their beds or see them again for that matter. But as we were hiking we kept spotting other elk.  So we would start trying to sneak on them, but they could see you coming for miles away.  We saw 3-4 snow shoe hares. They were cool. Some were all white, some were half grey and half white. I know where we need to go to get your snow shoe hares. At one point I was glassing and spotted this thing on the ridge that looked like a burnt bush.  It had a dark middle area and 2 black things sticking up.  It looked like it could be a bull elk as well. I kept watching about ready to get my spotting scope out and I saw it move its head. It was a bull. A 6 point on 1 side and broken off on the other, but a nice bull.  We were about 1 mile away.  So I thought if we could cut the distance in half mom could get a shot.  So we dropped down into the bottom of a ravine and moved up towards the bull. We cut the distance in half, and popped up over the top to look and a cow was standing there looking to her right.  So I thought the bull probably booked it out of there down another ravine.  So we started moving to look down the other ravine and the bull stood up.  I said that is the bull shoot him.  It was still about 400 yards or better away. But mom sat down and I got the shooting stick ready and I said shoot it.  I am glassing waiting for the shot, and the bull walks over the hill out of sight.  I asked mom why she did not shoot and she said she could not keep the cross hairs on it.  So I told her at this point you need to squeeze the trigger as soon as you have him in your cross hairs.  So they all disappeared and about 5 minutes later they appeared further up the mountain.  There were about 8-9 elk the big bull and 1 spike and the rest cows and calves. I started cow calling and all of them stopped and looked at us.  I could not range them as they were farther than 400 yards.  But she shot 4 times. When I walked it off it was over 800 yards, so I am sure mom was shooting short... We followed their tracks for 4 miles back and they crossed the road 200 yards from where we parked the truck.

It was probably a blessing we did not get him that far back up the mountain. But over all it was fun when you are seeing elk all over the place.

I will send this and write about this week later.

Love 

Dad


Dearest Elder Nielsen,

This past week was so busy!  I didn't expect to be going so many directions.  The Festival of Trees started on Monday.  Carly had PAL practice at Flagview, so after she was done the three little girls and I went over to the new convention center to view all the trees for FHE.  Dad was in Las Vegas for work.  Adelaide got to ride a bus there and go see it as a field trip the next day.  She thought riding the bus was the best part.  The past 6 mos. there has been construction going on to build an additional convention center on that dirt lot where we would all park for things going on at the original conv. center.  Its not as big, but it will be able to add more space for mining expo and things like that.  Then on the heels of that the Creche Exhibit began up at the stake center.  Our ward was assigned to decorate the front foyer with trees and garland and things, so I got put in charge of that.  Then the next day I went up and set up our other tree in the gym along with our display of nativities.  I set up some of Erin's from Peru as well.  If you see a one you like there in the Philippines you should pick it up.  Becca's mom was there and I talked to her while she helped me set up the tree.  She told me how Becca was doing and that you were so good for her to be friends with and that you helped her a lot-emotionally.  I said the same thing to her, that Becca was good for you beacause she pushed you to do well academically.  Tomorrow I have to go up there and take it all down.   
Summer had a performance up at the creche on friday night as part of the Adobe choir.  Then the Choraliers followed them.  Remember last year the big blow up with Ms. Rogers about that?  I didn't stay for the Choraliers, but I know Creighton Cooper made the basketball team, so I hope they worked that out this year.  Peter Neff needed to borrow your bow tie, because his got swiped by someone else.  His mom ordered another one , but is wasn't going to get here for 2 weeks.  They were really grateful to be able to use yours until then,  but then his was recovered and he gave yours back to me.  Apparently, whom ever had taken his, had "found" his own on the floor of his room and no longer "needed" Peter's, so another boy gave it back to him for the kid.  Kind of cowardice.
 The Red Lion Tournament started thurs.  Elko won all their games quite easily.  Dad did the clock on Friday, so I went with him to watch Elko play Reno HS.  We never trailed, we started out well, and pretty well blew it open by half-time.  Eric Klekas was unstoppable, he had 6 threes.  He was shooting the long ball, driving making lay-ups and making little floaters.  he had 34 points.  The whole team played well, Baum plays a lot more confidently this year, and Creighton even made a bucket.
We got back from Utah tonight.  We went over to see Chelsea, Brian and little David.  They were in Provo, because Steve, Brian's brother were blessing their baby today.  David is sure a cute little fellow and I mean little.  He needs to fatten up a bit, he's still the size of a new born.  We went to see the Norman Rockwell exhibit at BYU with them, and then had hot chocolate at Steve and Angela's place afterwards.  We stayed at Darhl's house and that was very nice.
Hope you have wonderful week, we sure love your letters, and your faithfulness as a missionary.  Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment