Saturday, February 14, 2015

Happy Valentines Day!

Hola Elder Nielsen,

How was your week. Here I sit writing another letter. It seems like I blink and another week passes by us. I was working the books and clock with Mr. Marc Suyematsu and he asked about you and how you were doing and told me to make sure I tell you hello from him. So that promise is completed. He said he really like your group of kids that they were all good kids.

Monday we had PAL practice, Tuesday we had a PAL game. Mom had to coach as I had to do the books and clock for the Elko Lowry bball games that same night. The JV girls game went into double over time, so all the games were delayed and pushed back. Elko varsity girls got crushed by Lowry girls by about 30 points. That game would determine who would take 2nd in league and get a bye for the 1st round. So Elko girls will take 3rd in league. Elko boys beat Lowry handedly. They played with us for the 1st half, but we opened it up in the 2nd half and won by about 20 points. And that game was to determine who would win league.  Out PAL team won 14-13. Summer had 6 points. So mom is 2-0 in coaching. We did not get home until around 10 pm.

On Wednesday, I had to go to Wendover to West Wendover high school for the FAFSA. Usually I go and talk about financial aid and then help them fill out the FAFSA. But they had a new counselor and she scheduled me from 10 am to 4 pm. And students and parents would come and go as they pleased during that time frame.  But I did not leave until around 5 pm. So I hurried home and we had another PAL game. We lost to a Spring Creek team 16 -4 or something. We could not make any baskets and they made some lucky baskets.  So mom is 2-0 and I am 0-2.  I better turn over the reins to mom to coach.

We had PAL practice on Thursday night and then Summer and I had YMYW. But 2 of our girls were waiting for their grandpa to come pick them up and we waited with them for 40 minutes. Finally, I said, I will take you 2 home. And they lived close to the church, so Carly ended up going with us to mutual as mom had left earlier to take Summer to a Presidency meeting.

On Friday, Elko played Dayton and both boys and girls won. I did the clock and books for those games. On Saturday, we had a PAL bball game in Spring Creek at 11 am, so we went out there and we beat a team from West wendover. My 1st win of the year. Both Carly and Summer scored in that game. The other team was not very good and we only had 7 players, so we could play every one a lot. Then mom dropped me off at the high school and I did the books for both varsity games. Both teams won, we beat South Tahoe.  It was senior day. Eric had 6 3s and 28 points and Baumer had 3 or 4 3s and 20 points. So Elko went undefeated in League again for the 2nd straight year. Regionals is this week in North Valleys this year. The Elko boys JV team went undefeated again this year at 22-0, so Dennis D has gone undefeated in 2 out of the last 3 years. We did not get home until after 4. That was a long day. Mom and I were going to go to the adult bi-stake dance, but we had been gone all day and decided to stay home and relax. I worked on taxes Sat. evening.

The weather has still been very cold, barely getting above freezing.  However, today, it was 47 degrees. It felt nice and the snow was melting quickly. Your snowman's head fell off. But it has lasted since December and hardly melted at all. I have started doing a lot of taxes and will enjoy Monday to get caught up on all of them since it is President's day and we all have the day off.

We had our ward conference today and Maddie Esplin gave her fair well talk. She is going in the MTC on Wednesday, then to Vancouver Canada. We are going over to the Esplins tonight for a little get together for her.

Keep working hard.  We love you and are happy you are serving a mission. Brother Reid Smith told me that you were on a billboard on Idaho street today. So we drove downtown to see it. It is that picture of Nate and Sam Klekas in warm ups for a bball game from Pace Coalition and you were standing there with your back to the camera with number 12 and Nielsen on the back. We took a picture, but it did not turn out too well. We will have to take another and send it to you.

Brandon Jenkins is doing very well on his mission in Arizona and seems to really be enjoying it.  Have a great week, humble yourself as a child and serve the Lord the best you can. Have a happy Valentines day today. We love you and are well pleased with you. Do they celebrate that in the Philippines?

Love,

Dad



Dearest Elder Nielsen,

Well, today is that wonderful holiday... Valentines Day!  Isn't it great? you get to tell the people in your life how much you love them and eat cookies and chocolates. Today was Ward Conference and Mattie Esplin also spoke for her farewell talk.  She goes into the Provo MTC on Wed.  We came home from church and had Layered Beef Florentine for dinner.  It was just our family.  We haven't had people over quite as much as we used to, the missionaries once or twice a month, but its been kind of nice to have more relaxing Sundays.  Adelaide said she likes it this way because we don't need to clean up.  Then we went over to the Esplins for a little open house for Mattie and we just got home.  Pres. Shumway was there and asked how you were doing and it was nice to tell him all the great things you are doing.

This week-- We had a PAL practice or a game every night this week.  Our girls are getting better, we won 2 out of our 3 games.  Dad has worked with them on the man to man offence of doing baseline screens and they do it OK in practice and then we get in the games and it goes out the window and doesn't happen at all.  They are fun girls though and one of them is Filipino.  The first practice Dad tried talking to her in Spanish because her last name is Guzman, but she had no idea what he was saying and then he realized she wasn't hispanic.  This last week he met her family at one of our games  and was talking to her Dad and telling them about you serving there.  Their family is from the very most North part of the Philippines.  Dad has been working with Carly on her shot and she is doing really well.  She is still a little squirt and can hardly make it from the free-throw line, but her form inside the key is getting to look real good.

This past weekend was the last home games of the regular basketball season.  It seemed like it went by quickly-- I'm sure the players don't feel that way.  Creighton Cooper has seen a lot more playing time and usually scores at least once in each game. Alex Klekas was brought up from JV when one of the varsity players sprained his ankle.  He does well, he puts pressure on the player bringing the ball down like you used to do. I cross guard the cross walk that Sam Brown's kids use to get to school and I have become friendly with his wife Jo.  I asked her last week if she still bakes cookies for the basketball team, and she told me "no", that that group of boys were special and she only did it for them (you), and that you guys always called her "Mrs. Brown", and thanked her each week she did that.  That's quite a compliment to your class.  Reed Smith informed us today that you were on a billboard on Idaho Street as you drive into town.  So, after church we took a drive to go see for ourselves.  Between CVS and 3rd Street there is a billboard sponsored by PACE Coalition and on it there is Nathan Klekas and Sam on Centennial Gym floor during warm-ups for a game--he's holding Nathan's hand facing the basket. Then there is another picture right next to it and Nathanis shooting the ball and you are in there too.  You are facing the basket, but you can clearly see the "Nielsen" on the back of your warm up shirt.  Its kind of cool.  We took a picture, but it was dark and too far away to see it well. I was glad he told us about it , because if I had just been driving down the road and saw that, I probably would have driven off the road.
Adelaide had her first school Valentine's party on friday, she liked getting all the candy and Valentines.  One came with a tatoo and she told me to throw it away.  She loves school and is starting to read.  She's still crazy though, but she is doing better after going to see the doctor.
Well, I hope you have a wonderful week, know that we love you and feel so blessed to have you for our son.  Love, Mom
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment