Aloha Sister Nielsen,
It was great to get your letter. You really are going to get know that island pretty well. I guess when ever we go back to visit, we will have our own personal tour guide. Things are going well here. It is still extremely cold. At night it gets down to -9 to -16 and the highs are from 8 to 19. We don't know how long this cold will last, I guess there is a high pressure system and will not move and allow storms to come in and push it out.
Cody and Erin both had games this week. They played Lowry on Tuesday, the team that beat Codys team in the state championship game last year. Both Erin and Cody's team won. Erin had an outstanding game. She had 19 points. She made the first 8 points of the game for either side. Cody played and did well. Cody had 6 points 1 3-pointer and 3 free throws. But he shot an air ball free throw, so he owes the team milk shakes. Erin could have had 25 points, she only went 3 for 9 from the free throw line. She was shooting all of them long and cody was shooting all of his short. But they were good intense games at Lowry.
Then on Thursday they both played at Ely. Erin had 8 points and cody did not play. They rest his knee on games they don't need him. Both teams won. Erin said she did not have much energy in the game. Erin's team came back to Elko and Cody's team continued on down to Las Vegas. Codys team beat a 4-a school from vegas on Friday and lost on Sat. by 8 points to another 4A school. Cody only played in the game on Sat. He had 4 points. He came back yesterday, and missed church so he went to the late sacrameeting last night.
Grandma Nielsen is doing well. She does not like to go outside when it is so cold, but I don't either. I went to Winnemucca this past week to meet with students there and to do a financial aid night.
One student I was meeting with spoke spanish so I was talking to her in spanish. She asked me where I learned spanish and I told her I served a mission in Argentina. I asked her what religion she was and she said she was still trying to find one and was in the search. I told her before she makes her decision, that she should read the BOM and then make her decision. I explained to her about the BOM and told her I would get her a copy of the BOM as she said she would like to read it. She said can I get one here in Winnemucca? She has a friend that is LDS and I told her she could get a copy from her friend. Any way, it is amazing how many people out there are searching for the truth but don't know where to find it.
I have today off for Martin Luther King day, but I will work any way. I have a lot to do. I am teaching Accounting 202 this semester and it starts tomorrow and I don't have every thing ready yet. Also, the first week of school it very busy for us. So this will be a very busy week. Cody and Erin play Battle Mtn here tomorrow and then they play Spring Creek there on Thursday. So that will be a huge came for Erin and her team. The boys are not very good, so Elko should win easily. Both Erin and Spring Creek are undefeated in league play, so this game is crucial.
Well I hope you have a super week. Is the windward side of the island on the West side? I have looked on the map but can not find your locations. Adelaide and the kids are still as cute as every, just being crazy. I heard the young single adults branch presidency here in Elko were released and a new branch presidency was called. Steve Portrey was call as a councilor, and that is all I know so far. Sister Fine is home now from her mission, but we have not talked with her yet.
The lady I met in Tonopah, I sent her a text, and she said she is reading her scriptures every day, so that is good. She was suppose to go to church yesterday, so I will send her another text today to find out if she went.
Well, I can't think of any thing else. We love you and pray for your success. I hope you and your new companion and new area are doing super well.
Have a super week.
Love Dad
My Dear Sis. Nielsen,
I'm interested to hear about this new area you are serving in. Cleaned out any horse stalls lately? What exactly is the name of this town? I want to get a map of HI and pin all the places that you have and will serve. Who is your companion now? Did one of the sisters stay and what does it take to get kicked out of driving privileges? You are a good driver, so I'm not worried about you. From what you've said, Honolulu sounds like a crazy place to drive. Is it raining yet? Have you grown any fonder of pineapple?
We are still freezing here. I was out doing a paper route this morning and it was -5. Everyone is getting is so tired of it. It makes it treacherous when I'm out in the dark trying not to slip, trip or stumble over ice boulders. I am subbing Romney Goulding's paper route while their family is on a cruise to Mexico this week. It was a surprise Christmas present to their kids. They've got the right idea-- going somewhere warm. I've been using the trooper as an extra freezer. Dad's been driving the camry so I threw some frozen pizzas in the back, because they take up so much room.
I took Summer and Carly to the museum for an activity. They showed the movie "Night at the Museum" in the little theater there, and then there was a scavenger hunt in the Wannamaker wing, as I am telling you this I realize I think I mentioned this last letter. Well, Addie didn't want to leave once the movie started so I ended up staying with all of them. It was fun, but Adelaide kept getting lost in the dark. She wasn't too worried though.
Other than basketball, we are just doing the normal stuff. I think Dad gave you all the details about games. I'm trying to think of anything that Addie has said. Erin taught her that when Dad sings to tell him, "you sing like a duck". So, she's been saying that quite often. She told Dad that the bed that we sleep in was "our" bed, meaning her's and mine. She really needs to be set straight-- in a bed of her own. I'm on the look out for a bunkbed with a trundle underneath for her. I've been babysitting Lilly Bjork, the little 4yr. old down the street, when her Mom substitutes. She likes to have a friend to play with and she is so nice to Lilly and helps her with her withered hand.
Erin is finally sending her letter to E. Edwards. She wrote one, then didn't know which picture to send, then she found one, but misplaced the letter, then found it, but wasn't sure where she put the picture. We finally have both together, and it's getting mailed tomorrow! So, hopefully he hasn't gone home yet.
Well, my dearest, looking forward to your letter. Have a great week,
Love, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment