Monday, January 7, 2013

Back to the grindstone

Dear Sister Nielsen,


There goes another week.  It seems like the time just keeps flying by.  You blink and another week goes by.  We had a good week. I had a day off on New Years day, but worked the other days of the week.  Brian and Chelsea left Wednesday to go back to New Mexico.  It was nice having them here.  I made a couple batches of jerky for Brian and Chelsea to take back with them, but the kids seem to eat it faster than I can make it.

Cody and Erin both had games on Friday and Saturday against Truckee and  Sparks respectively.  They both won both of their games.  Erin had 13 points on Friday and 12 on Saturday.  Fridays paper said that Erin is the leading scorer on Elko's girls team averaging 8.3 points per game.  So these last 2 games should bust up that average a little.  Cody did not have any points on Friday and hit a 3 pointer on Sat. and was fouled and had an opportunity to have a 4 point play but missed his free throw.  His knee still gets stiff and sore.  He said the back of his legs behind his knee hurts.  Like he pulled something back there.  I think he has to stretch his muscles a ton to help that.  But they both played pretty well.

Adelaide was sick a few days this week and Grandma Nielsen has the flu.  She said she was throwing up and going out both ends.  I guess there is a lot of people with the flu in Utah. 

Adelaide graduated to Sunbeams now, so she is not in my nursery class any more.  They called mom today to serve with me in the nursery.  That will be fun, but it would have been better to be with Adelaide.

I also ordained Cody to the office of Priest today, so he can bless the sacrament next week.  Tomorrow I go to Pahrump for the week.  So I am writing to you today as I will not have time tomorrow.

This last week has been freeeeeezing cold.  We had 3 or 4 days at -16 degrees below zero and the high was in the single digits.  Today it was 22 degrees and felt warm.  We got this snow before Christmas, but is has not been above freezing since.  It will be nice for me to get down to pahrump to warm up a bit.

By the way, just because the mission lets you stay up until 11:30 pm does not make it applicable to Nielsen family rules.  We were all in bed by 10:30 to 11:00 on new years eve.  The older you get, you will learn to appreciate good nights rest and going to bed early and waking up early.  I wake up about 5:00 am every day and I was just reading the other day, that getting at least 7+ hours of sleep a night is healthy and actually helps a person lose weight.

Well, I can't think of any thing else new or exciting to write about.  Notre Dame plays Alabama on Monday for the NCAA National Championship game.  Notre Dame has an all star linebacker who is LDS from Hawaii, Honolulu that was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy.  He played with Elder Sanft from Hawaii, and has big tattoos on his arm.  Elder Sanft says he is not too active in the church.    

I hope you have a great week.  We love having a missionary out in the field and you are setting a good example for Erin and Cody.  With the start of the semester, in a couple weeks, these will be very busy weeks for me.

Have a super dooper week,

Love Dad


My Dear Sis. Nielsen,
     You probably didn't get my letter last week, because I wrote it kind of late, and I was having a hard time  getting onto my e-mail.  But, here I am!  We had a wonderful Christmas break with Chelsea and Brian.  They went back last wednesday to Provo to stay with Steve and Angela for the night, and then onto Gallup for a day and then home.  So, it's now 2pm an  once again I think you are going to get this next week since I have already read you wonderful letter.  How amazing, all those contacts that you are now going to bring the joy of the gospel to. Superb! ( a little 17 Miracles lingo there, Chels and Brian watched it for the first time on their stay).
     Elder Sanft came back!  He's now a traveling zone leader with another Elder.  They go around and train all the companionships in the mission because a majority of the missionaries here are 8 mos. out our less.  It was so fun to see him, I think he gets a kick out of our family, he laughs a lot at Cody and Dad. He brought us a Christmas gift of..... you know it, choc. covered Mac. nuts and carmel corn.  We talked about how great you are doing and he said he should give you the names of his friends to teach.
     Dad left for Pahrump this morning and will be back on thurs.  He read me the letter he sent you so  I won't repeat what he's already told you about basketball games and points.  Cody got ordained to the office of a priest yesterday.  Dad did it in the Bishop's office where his quorum meets.  He invited the other boys who were already priests to join in he circle.  I guess they had never done that before because one of them said, " we can do this?"  So, that was a neat experience for them.  I got a new calling on Sun.  I will be working in the nursery along side Dad.  I'm sorry to be leaving YW, but that is the nature of the church-- always changes.  So, it will be OK.  Addie's moved on to Sunbeams so I'm sorry to miss out on being her teacher.
    The kids went back to school and things have returned to being more quiet with just Laidee May and I. She loves her Hawaiian dress you sent her, she's wearing it right now.  She finds it in the hamper or wherever and puts it on without anything underneath, I don' know how she doesn't freeze.  Hey, It's actually warmed up today to 24 degrees, quite a heat wave!  Do you have a raincoat yet?
Erin was supposed to go shopping with me to pick out some clothes for you, but that hasn't happened yet.  SOON. Being expecting a pkg.  I forgot to tell you in my last letter that when we went to the movies to see Les Mis, the De Angelos were there- Trisha, Lindsey and Olivia.  The projector was having technical difficulties, so we were all waiting for things to get started when Lindsey walks to the front of the theater and says, " Can I have your attention please?  I"m getting paid $30 dollars to do this"  and she proceeds  to sing "I'm a Little Teapot" complete with actions.  We all clapped.
Have a fabulous week, we love that you are an amazing mish.  You make us proud girl!
Love, mom  

No comments:

Post a Comment