Elder Nielsen,
How was your week? This was another fast week. On Tuesday, Elko played SC in SC. The SC girls team is the worst team I have ever seen them have. They really do not have any one that can play bball. Elko girls won and the Elko Boys won. But the boys game was a lot closer than it should have been. I think SC led at halftime by 2 points. SC had a guy guarding Eric every where he went, they never left him, but he still had 29 points. But it was kind of an ugly game. A spring creek player elbowed an Elko player and his tooth went threw his lip. Kyron had 2 dunks and the took him out on another one, and the kids were pushing and shoving each other. Then near the end of the game, Baum and the Oliphant sp?? boy went up for a rebound and Baum was behind the kid and his arm was being pulled down over the other kids shoulder, so Baum just flipped the kid over backwards on to his head. Baum got a foul a technical and ejected from the game. That other kid is about 6'3" and about 230 lbs. But the SC kid landed on his head and had to leave the game. I guess he has a concussion and bleeding on the brain or something and will miss their next 3 games for sure. The Patten kid was going after people as well in one scuffle as their was a lot of crap talking etc going on. Any way we won by 13 points but the game was ugly. After the game, there was about 3 inches of fresh snow, so I was glad I took the van, the trooper probably would not make it over the hill. It spins out in 1 inch of snow.
After the game, I saw Marshall, Tim, Daniel, Robert and Hailey Simpson, and they asked about you. They said, Cody would have loved this game with all the physical play and pushing and shoving etc. They were reminiscing about the time you closed line the short stocky kid up in Washington. They all looked heavier to me, like they have gained weight. Probably a lot of drinking.
On Tuesday at bball in the morning, Dennis deArrietta was driving full speed to the hoop and I stepped in front with my arms up high and he hit me with his elbow right in the ribs. I think I have another cracked rib. I am having a hard time staying heathly with this bball stuff. So now when I sneeze of cough it really hurts badly.
On Wednesday, I had to go to Winnemucca to meet with students and to Lowry high school for the FAFSA night. The roads were wet going over, but there were patches of thick fog between Battle Mountain and Winn. While I was meeting with the students I had a lady come in and was visiting with her about her financial aid. I sneezed and she could see me in pain and I told her I had hurt my ribs in bball the day before. She said "church ball"? I said, no, it wasn't church ball, but I had played a lot of church ball. I asked her how she knew about church ball and she said the lady in the winnemucca GBC campus had told her that I was LDS. And she said she was LDS. So I said that is great and asked her who the Stake President was now in Winn. She said to be honest, that she was not active in the church and did not know who the stake president was. I told her she could change that and get active. She said lately she had been thinking a lot about going back to church. Her husband was not a member and she had not been to church for 10-15 years. But her dad had died last week and he was really active and she had been thinking a lot about going back to church. I said, well there is never a better time. Start now. A new month, a new year, now is the time. She said she cusses like a truck driver. I said to stop then. She said she had not cussed that day yet. I said that is a good start. She said do I have to go to all 3 hours. I said, start with sacrament meeting. Let's work into this gradually. And I promised her that her life would be so much better and she would see the hand of the Lord blessing her and her family. Her family was struggling financially. I told her she has to return and report. I want to know how her life has changed in a few years after she started living the gospel again. She said she would let me know. I find it interesting that I meet people like this all the time with my job.
I came home from Winn. on Thursday. A storm was suppose to be moving in and I wanted to get home before the storm hit. We had combined activity for YMYW. We played apples to apples and had ice cream.
On Friday, Elko played Fallon. The Elko girls got slammed by Fallon by about 20 points. The Fallon girls team is 15-0 and have beaten Reed, McQueen, Douglas, etc. They have 2 freshman Tongan girls on their team who are cousins and they are big girls that can play very well. I was wondering if they were LDS? The Elko boys beat Fallon by about 3 or 4. It was a close game that we were trailing about the entire game. Eric only had 16 points. The big tall skinny 6'7" kid for Fallon had about 30 something points. He was making everything. We saw the Groffs and they asked how you were and told us to tell you hi and they are thinking about you.
On Sat. mom and I went to a draft for Summer's PAL team. I guess we are going to coach again. We came home and worked around the house trying to get everything ready for the wedding. Then Elko played Fernley. Both Elko girls and boys won. The games were quite boring. I watched a football playoff game on Sat. night.
Today we had good meetings at church. We had a couple of college girls over for dinner. One girl had been coming in to visit me a lot and I had been helping her with financial aid. And she brought her new roommate in from Ely named Britany, and Britney got baptized in the YSA branch yesterday and confirmed today. When they told me she was getting baptized, I invited them over for dinner. Mom made swedish meatballs and they ate all of them, no leftovers. I think they enjoyed that. Britany said she would love to have an ideal family like ours someday.
Keep working hard. Stay cool. And be exactly obedient in every thing and the Lord will make you into the missionary he wants you to be. Let him form you into the man you should be and ought to be. We love you and pray for you always.
Have a super week and invite everyone to come into Christ and receive the blessings of this wonderful gospel. I know it is true.
Love
Dad
Dearest Elder Nielsen,
Well, it's almost game time! I have about 25 loaves of nut breads in the freezer in the garage. I'm going to be cranking out cheeseballs the next 2 days. I saw a cool thing on Pinterest that you put sliced almonds layered on the top of the cheeseball and it looks like a pinecone. Perfect for our wedding theme. And I finally talked to the guy with the canoe. There is a house on the paper route that has a canoe on the side of the house. I want to borrow it for the reception just as a prop. We are going to put the gifts in it and put a sign on the back that says, "Just Married". The fellow was really nice, I was explaining what I wanted to borrow it for and before I could even finish, he said. "Take it, and don't bring it back!" It belongs to his Uncle and it has a crack in it, so it's not sea worthy. He's been wanting to get rid of it. I told him I would probably bring it back, unless there is someone who wants it. I think everything is coming together quite nicely, it will be fun to see how it all turns out. Next week at this time I will be clicking my heels together. I have quite enjoyed all the preparation, but it will be nice to have it done. You are going to be present in flat-form at the reception as well.
Dad went to the Spring Creek - Elko game out in SC last tues. I could have gone, but I had a RS activity that same night. But , I could have gone because no one showed up for the activity! I think everyone forgot. It sounded like it was a typical Elko vs. SC crazy game. Lots of fiestiness going on. Baumer got ejected for a flagrant foul. You would have loved it. Then friday we played Fallon and they were good. We had to fight to win that one. They led most of the game, and then 4th quarter we had some big shots (Cole Smith hit two 3's in a row) and somehow we escaped with the win. Eric didn't have as many points as usual. They were double teaming him a lot. We didn't have Dustin because he was suspended one game because of the ejection. We battled and got the win. It has been about 4 years :) since we have had a game like that, where it was close and exciting. Fernley the next night wasn't that good and we beat them by 20 I think. They had all the subs in during the last quarter-- except for Eric. (Stats padding you know).
Saturday morning we went to the PAL league draft. We said we would coach again this year, so we had to go watch them and pick more girls for our team. It should be better this year, since the Indian twins went into 9th grade. One actually plays for EHS. We got some decent girls. More importantly, we hope we have girls that we as a family can have a good influence on.
We were wondering if you ever get invited to eat with the members, and what do they fix for you?
I hope you have a wonderful week. I sure am blessed to have such wonderful children. I know you are a very good missionary. Love, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment