Sunday, January 31, 2016

Freezing Rain

Hola Elder Nielsen,

We were glad to hear that you were called as Zone Leader.  That is great, just work hard and be exactly obedient and an example to all the other missionaries.  This week was kind of crazy. It was very busy at work as it was the 1st week of classes and we have had many issues with students and things at work.  I am not teaching my accounting class this semester as I only had 10 students in my class and another teacher only had 8 students, so they combined the 2 classes and since I am a part time teacher, they gave the class to the other teacher.

On Tuesday, Elko played Spring Creek and the SC girls played a lot better.  SC was leading almost the entire game and in the final seconds Lexi Baum got a rebound and put it back in and Elko won 52-51.  Elko boys won again by about 15 or 16 points, but there was not any drama.  They had lots of police officers, etc patrolling the game.

On Wednesday, I had to drive to Eureka for the FAFSA night at the Eureka high school. The roads were good and I drove down there and came back that evening and got back about 8:30 pm.  It was a long day and I was tired.  The SC games did not end until around 10 pm.  

On Thursday, we had our PAL practice, but Summer went to YMYW.  We had practice a couple nights before and mom had to run it alone as I did the clock for the games and was in Eureka the other night.

Friday was an interesting day. Mom and I woke up early and went out and did the papers. Every thing was good, then mom went to take the girls to school and we had freezing rain.  The roads were pure ice.  The cars were all sliding in to each other and there were 100s of wrecks all around town. Hwy 80 was closed from Elko to Beowawe because of the ice and many big rigs were jack knifed all over the highway.  The Elko girls bball team made it to Carlin and could not go any further.  But they could not get back to town until around 4 pm when the roads were open again. They sent out a message and said if you were not at work to stay home until 10 am or so when the roads started to melt.  So I stayed home until 11 am.  I could not hardly even walk any where as it was soooo icy.  I have a video I will try to forward to you all of me on the ice.

We did have out bball games, we played truckee on Friday but the games were delayed for about 3 hours. We did not get home until about 10:30 pm. Elko won big by the 40 point rule plus. Truckee has not won a game all year. Saturday we played Sparks and beat them, it was about an 8 point game the whole game and then Sparks wore out.  But they are athletic.

I came home from the games and worked on W-2s and W-3 and year end reports that are due on Monday.

Sunday was a great day.  I love Sundays, to go to church and then mom and I went home teaching to the Harris family and the Christiansens.  We had great visits.  I love home teaching, I feel like I am the one who is always being blessed by out visits.  I am sure that is how you feel as a missionary.  When you teach these people and bless their lives, you are the one who is really being blessed the most.

We love you and are well pleased with you efforts and your service as a missionary.  Have a super week.  Enjoy sharing your knowledge and testimony with everyone you see.  Invite them all to come unto Christ.  You never know who is ready or prepared to receive the gospel in their lives.

Work hard and be exactly obedient and you will be blessed beyond your comprehension.
Love,
Dad




Dearest Elder Nielsen,

What a crazy week of weather!  We have tons of snow.  I haven't seen so much snow in our yard in years.  It's kind of fun though, and it is very beautiful.  It makes doing the paper route more time consuming, since we have to trudge through all the piles of snow.  

Wednesday I took Adelaide to see Dr. Hernandez.  She has had kind of  "a condition" for awhile.  I think it goes back to when we were in California swimming in Grandma's pool and Ads had to get out and go to the bathroom every 20 min.  She has a hard time staying dry.  Its not like she wets her pants, but she will be doing something and then all of a sudden she has to go potty--right now, and she can't hold it, so she will leak a little bit until she can get control and then she will use the restroom.  We have been kind of getting after her because she always has a stinky smell, like she needs to change her chonies, but it's probably not something she has a lot of control over.  Dad looked up her symptoms on the internet and it described "over-active bladder".  So, I finally took her to the Dr. and she said she probably had some irritation in her urethra and that she shouldn't take bubble baths or bath in soapy water, and to put Vasoline on it to seal it and keep it clean.  So, far it has been working and she has done much better.

On Thursday I went with Carly and all the 5th graders out to the Spring Creek Horse Palace for a field trip.  The high school rodeo team put on a rodeo.  It was kind of chaotic.  It was hard to hear the announcer, because the kids were so noisy.  It was fun to be with Carly though.

Then on Friday we had freezing rain, it was crazy!   I took Summer to school at 7:30 and all seemed fine, it was just starting to lightly rain.  By the time I got up to Northside to cross guard at 7:50, it was starting to freeze when it hit the road.  It was like an ice rink. The whole cross walk, roads, and sidewalks were covered in a sheet of shiny ice.  It was sooo slick.  Car tires were spinning, and all the cars were just creepy along very slowly.  I didn't see any accidents, but I heard on the radio that there were many and to not be out on the roads unless it was necessary.  I took Carly over to Flagview, trying to avoid any hills.  I went 15 mph  the whole way home and I was OK, but it was hairy- cairy out there.  I told Dad he was not driving to work, especially in the Trooper, can you imagine?  He went out and just stood on the top of the driveway and I video taped him just standing there and sliding down towards the sidewalk-- its pretty funny.  Then the next day, we woke up to even more snow!  about 4 more inches.  

Elko had another successful weekend on the basketball court.  The Yopps kid has been playing well, and Eric is over his slump and is shooting better again.  I was falling asleep on Friday night watching the trouncing of Truckee, it was so warm in that gym!  Kyrin Allen's grandpa asked me how you were doing and if you missed basketball.  I said the only thing you said you missed was hunting.  He said he was sure you didn't miss Klekas yelling at you, I agreed with him that I am sure you didn't miss that.
We are excited for your new leadership role as a zone leader!  that is wonderful.  Do your best.  We are very proud (Can I say that?) of you.   Have a wonderful week, Love you, Mom 

No comments:

Post a Comment