Hola Elder Nielsen,
Another good week has passed us by. On Monday we had PAL practice. On Tuesday, we had another PAL practice but Mom had a relief society activity at the church and I had to drive to Round Mountain, NV that day for a FAFSA night. It was 240 miles each way and I only had 1 student and 1 parent that showed up. I got home after 9:30 pm. Addie was sick with a cough and a cold and I think I started catching it that night. Mom started catching it over the past few days.
On Wednesday night we had a PAL game and we got beat badly. Carly got fouled and was 2 for 2 at the free throw line. She now has a sweet little shot. Her form is very good and from 6 feet and closer she is deadly. She just needs to get bigger and stronger. She is still a little stink. On Thursday, the teachers were over the combined YMYW activity and we watched Ephraim's Rescue. I still love that movie, but I thought it would be good for the youth to watch as it relates to the trek they will take this summer. We had Brother Scott Christiansen bring his projector and speakers and we watched it in the gym. We had a pop corn maker, nachos and cheese, licorice, pop, etc. Just like the movie theaters. It was a good evening, but I am glad it is over so I don't have to worry about it any more. Good movie, good food, + good company = enjoyable evening.
Thursday morning, I had to go to Elko High school and talk to 3 class periods about financial aid, and then I went over to the Juvenal detention high school and talk to them about high school, so I talked for 4 hours. In one of the classes there was a girl named Maria, who was wearing her BYU sweat shirt and she said she was planning on going on a mission. I recognized her face, but I don't know where I know her from or if she is in our stake or not.
On Friday, I had meeting all morning for the committee I am on for the retirement system in Nevada. I was feeling miserable all day with this cough and cold, so I came home and went to bed early. Summer and Carly went over to the Gouldings for a late night.
Saturday, we watched Summer in her volleyball games. Then we played the club team from spring creek in PAL and they beat us badly as well. But our girls are getting better. We have 2 that have never played bball before, then we have 2 5th graders on our team as well. So I would say, we did fairly well. Summer was 2 for 2 from the free throw line. We only had 7 points and they had about 30. I was talking to the Filipino girls dad again and he asked how you were doing. And he said, his daughter Victoria, I think was her name, was in your grade and had a class with you or something. Do you remember a Victoria, Filipina girl?
The Harris' had extra tickets that their family had bought for the crab feed but did not come and they gave them to us. So mom and I had all you can eat crab last night for our date. I was talking to Eric about his season and he said to tell you hello for him. Nathan was there as well. I guess he was on spring break. It was good, but since we don't drink I don't think it was worth the $60 per tickets that people pay for that. I was also talking to Dustin Baum there and was wondering how the baseball team did over the weekend in Reno, and he said not too well as they were short handed. Benton is sill not ready to play, but should play when their league opens. He also told me the Harris kid, Kyle, Yocum and Weston all got caught drinking in the parking lot of a football game last fall, so they are missing a few games as well. That is half their starting players out. The paper said they should have a pretty good team if they can avoid distractions this year. I guess that is what they were talking about. Our refrigerator stopped working again yesterday, so we will see if we can get that working again. It seems like it is always something going out.
Had good meetings in church today. I always love fast Sundays. We were suppose to have the missionaries over for dinner today, but another family wanted to switch with us for next week. So we will feed them next week.
We hope you have a great week. Keep being exactly obedient and do all you can to have the guidance of the holy ghost in your teachings and daily activities. We love you and pray for you daily. We have been have some nice weather, but last night the wind started blowing and it is suppose to snow here again the next couple of days. The sierras are suppose to get 18 inches of snow. It was raining and snowing today, but it has all melted thus far.
We are very happy you are on a mission. You are doing exactly what you are suppose to be doing at this stage of your life. Enjoy being that special witness.
Love,
DAD
Dearest Elder Nielsen,
We have had a beautiful week of weather. It feels like spring, but it is still a bit chilly, perfect sweatshirt weather. Today though we had rain and winds, and it was cold! We had a good day at church today. It was my turn to teach Relief Society, and the lesson was from Preach My Gospel--Lesson 2 The Plan of Salvation. We are using PMG as our lesson manual this year. Its a little tricky adapting the lesson to teach RS, but it went fine. I even had the sisters doing role-play scenarios of which I gave them a situations where a person asks them a question related to the Plan of Salvation and they had to answer with "teach the doctrine" then "testify" and lastly an "invitation" to continue the discussion with the missionaries. I thought it went well. We had great entertainment during Sacrament Mtg today. We sat behind the Myers and their littlest girl is a hoot. You thought she was funny as a baby, well, Emma the Toddler is a lot of fun to just watch. She told her Dad she had to go potty and he had just brought her back from going. She knows exactly how to get out of Sac. Mtg.
This past week we a had a couple of PAL practices and a game out in SC, which we lost terribly by like 30 pts. Some of the teams are pretty stacked and that was one. The best part was that Carly made both her free throws! she has been practicing hard on her shot. Just last week, she was having a hard time getting her shot to reach the rim. So, now she has 2pts in the books!
Tuesday, was our RS Birthday Dinner and that went well. We just had a party, we had make your own sub sandwiches, salads and ice cake--YUM! Carly and Summer were in charge of the nursery, but no one brought their kids, so they went into the gym and shot baskets. Little Gym Rats they are.
I got a call from Susie Harris on Friday, asking us if we wanted to use an extra set of Crab Feed tickets.
We said "sure". So, there we found ourselves in the middle of the Crab Feed again this year. It was just like last year-- lots of crab, boozed up people, and Delmo getting overexcited with the microphone. It was good to get to go for free, we didn't win anything, and Cole Smith's family donated another BYU players autographed basketball. He got aced- out on the bidding again, this year, by only 25 dollars. Maybe next year Cole.
Well, another week gone by and another email. We pray for each day, and hope you have a great week! Love your Mom
PS Sister Simons said she got your email and will read it to the girls in young womens.
No comments:
Post a Comment