Sunday, November 22, 2015

Happy Birthday Elder Nielsen!

Elder Nielsen,
You probably celebrated your birthday yesterday since you are 15 hours ahead of us.  This was a hectic week.  At work, there were issues that would come up and prevent me from doing what I had to get done.  I had a big report that was due on Friday.  But I got it done and sent it off.  I am still behind in my class in grading.  I am trying to get all caught up. 
On Wednesday night we had the a capello group from BYU called vocal point come sing at the convention center.  There are 9 guys and they are very talented, but the sound was not that great.  They had a guy b-bopping and with him and all the other noise, you could not hear the melody singer.  But they all had great voices and could sing very well.
On Thursday, I went to go play bball, I have been playing for about 2 weeks now, but I had an extremely difficult time breathing.  It was like I was short on air.  It happened like that the very 1st time back, but I thought it was because I was out of shape.  It got a little better, but on Thursday, I could barely breathe. I am not sure what is going on, if I had something wrong with my lungs or what.  I have a cough, but no other signs of a cold.  I went to work, but I was exhausted.  I get out of breath just walking from my car to my office.  I came home from work and slept for 3-4 hours woke up for 2 hours and slept for another 3 hours, and then went to bed.  I felt better on Friday morning, but my lung capacity is still not where it should be.
Friday Carly had a game and they beat a team that beat the other team that beat Carly’s team.  I hope you can follow that.  Carly did not play much, but she played well when she was in there.  She is a good passer.
On Saturday, mom and I got up at 3:50 am and got the papers out and then we got all ready to go and went elk hunting.  But with day light savings, it was starting to get light by the time we left the house, so we were 2 hours late and missed the miracle hour.  We tried to go to that area down low where Chelsea got a shot at that huge bull.  We never did find that area.  You cannot get up Division Canyon where we went with Chelsea as it has those 4 foot deep wash outs where the tires go.  That is where you and I tried to get the 4 wheeler up last year. Bob Hayes told us we could get up division coming from the lower side, so we tried that.  We took the 4-wheeler up and found a guzzler called the Cotton Thomas Guzzler.  All the water was frozen solid, but we did see fresh Mountain Lion tracks within the last 2 days. We hike around the guzzler for about a couple miles, found a lot of elk sign but nothing extremely fresh. But there was some good country. We drove around trying to explore roads to see which one lead to Division canyon, but never did find it.  We heard some shooting down below us, but we never did see an elk. There were tons of camps along the main road.  I guess there are 80 tags given out and we probably saw 50 of the hunters and their buddies.  The only elk we saw was a small 6x6 which would score around 250 on the back of a side by side.  I think those were the guys below us shooting.  They said there were 5 other bulls with the one they got.  And they said they saw someone else take a nice bull.  It was a beautiful day on Saturday about 53 degrees. Next week it is supposed to snow on Wed, and the high is going to be 30 degrees.
Anyway, this is becoming more of a nightmare than an enjoyable hunt as we had to leave carly and addie home alone all day and summer had to find a ride to her bball games.  We did not think about no one being home to take care of the kids or get them to school with mom and I out hunting.  So we are trying to make arrangements for tomorrow to go again.  Mom said she did not bargain for this and she is going to shot the very 1st legal bull she sees, (if we see one). So far, we have not been so lucky.
I guess we decided to stay here for Thanksgiving and Amber and Erin will come to Elko.  Chelsea, said Brian needed to know to plan for buying food, etc, and we would not know if we were coming or not until mom got her bull.  We only have this week left to hunt as I have to go to Las Vegas next week for training.  So we will see what happens.
Our internet is down and has been since Thursday.  They said the 1st time they could come was Monday and we will be out hunting, so who knows how long we will be without the internet.
We hope you had a great b-day.  We will give you another do-for for your b-day.  Keep working hard and rely on the spirit to direct your thoughts and actions and you will be blessed.  We love you and always pray for you.  Addie and the girls sang you happy b-day today.  Have a great week.

Love Dad.

ps: Fallon beat Moapa Valley for the state title.  It was a close back and forth game.  Utah got beat by UCLA, BYU won I think, and Ohio State #2 in nation and undefeated got beat by Michigan St.


Dearest Elder Nielsen,
How are things in the land of the Philippines?  I got an email from Sis. Brady and she said you were a very dedicated missionary, with a “warm personality”.  I wrote her back and thanked her and she wrote me back and she wants to keep in touch.  So, I guess that makes Sis. Brady and I pen pals!
This week was pretty much a normal one around here…School, games and chasing around—except for the elk hunt (more on that later)  We went to the BYU Vocal Point mens acapella group Wed. night.  The Choraliers sponsored  them and they sold every ticket.  Talk about a fundraiser item that people actually wanted to purchase. They were very good and a lot of fun—the young girls were screaming and carrying on like it was a Justin Bieber Concert. Summer and Carly got their autographs and I think they may have the paper framed in their room. ?!?
Carly had a PAL game on Thursday and Friday.  She made a put back bucket in the first game and then on the next game they didn’t play her that much because the team was more competitive, but she made some nice passes and had 3 assists in that game.  She is just now starting to feel comfortable in the league.  (5th and 6th) last year she was playing on the lower hoops and this year it’s the regular 10 ft.  Everyone else grew, but she stayed kind of small.  You were playing 7th and 8th graders at this time in your career, as I recall.  And kicking their hind quarters.
OK, the elk hunt—We got up at 4 am and did papers on Sat. then we left just as it was getting light, you know about the time we are supposed to already be up there? J  We went up by Winecup Ranch, jumped on the four wheeler and headed towards some small mountains covered with Junipers.  Then we came to guzzler and we left the four wheeler and  hiked for about 2 hrs. We saw a lot of elk sign, but as far as anything to shoot—Nada!   Had a nice snack and a nap on the sunny side of a mountain and then hiked some more, back to the four wheeler and then drove around a bit more, still no animals.  The only animal we saw was a couple of birds.  It was so quiet and still up there , you could hear just the breeze.  All and all it was a good day, I am not looking forward to messing up my week with more hunting—we are going out again tomorrow and so I had to make arrangements for all the kids and get cross guard subs and Thanksgiving is this week and I would like to prepare for that.  Pray that this is the day! Or it could get ugly around here.
I hope you had a good birthday today/yesterday, whenever you celebrated.  Did anyone know it was your bday?  Have a great week, and keep up the good work you are doing with the investos you have found and have been working with.  

Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment