Hola Elder Nielsen,
I am sitting here trying to remember or think what happened this past week. I was busy, but nothing very memorable pops up in my head. I booked mom's flight to Peru. So we will be going together on the same flights. I used my sky miles and it only cost me $76 for taxes and fees. But now we got to figure out what we will be doing when we get down there. Since Erin is pregnant, they don't think it is a good idea for her to go down there with the Zika virus and getting bugs from the food, etc. So our tour guide is not going. We will leave Oct. 10th and get back Oct. 20th. Right during my hunt, but that is ok.
This past week it was raining a lot and it snowed in the mountains. Val and Ruth Esplin left Wednesday to go and hike the Ruby Crest trail. They got in there 12 miles to their first stop and it got very cold and was raining hard all night. They only had sweatshirts for the cold. They decided they better start heading back to where they came from and it was snowing very badly and they could not see the trail. I guess they were fearing for their lives and praying a ton to get our safely. The snow was pretty deep. Val talked to one guy on Sat who was up there and had to have a helicopter get him out as the snow was up to his waist and chest at some points and he could not get himself out. They made it back out on Thursday, and I guess Ruth just started bawling when they got back to the truck. They were very scared. We had talked about going with them, but we will do it earlier in the fall.
On Thursday, the student body had free hot dogs and hamburgers and I was eating lunch there and Iris came through the door. So I told her to come eat by me which she did. She acted as if nothing had ever happened. It was a good visit. We had given her a $2000 scholarship and a bunch of the ladies in the nursing department heard about her and had bought her about 6 or 7 bags of groceries which I told her I had and she should come by and pick them up. We had another good visit in my office. She came by my office again on Friday to bring a thank you card and I invited her to hear the sister missionaries again that evening. So we had the YSA sisters come over on Friday after work and teach her again. She was afraid of what she was getting herself in to. She asked what is the difference between Mormons and Christians. She also told us that she had told her mom what I told her and her mom told her that "that was not Mr. Scott talking, that was God speaking through Mr. Scott". That is what she calls me Mr. Scott. I asked her what did I tell you? She said it was the part I told her about if she kept the commandments of God and did every thing she could to study and prepare for her classes that Heavenly Father would bless her in her studies. I told her a lot of things so I did not know what she was referring to. She is a very sweet girl and very sincere in her seeking spirituality. The lesson went well and the spirit was there.
We wanted her to come over for dinner today, but she didn't. She works 12.5 hour days on Sat. and Sun. and then studies all the time during the week to prepare for her classes. She is the most focused student I have ever seen. That is all she does.
I also invited that Mexican family that we would see when we went to those 4-H activities with Cathy Demick that Summer and Carly use to do and the entire family was invited. I know Cody you were in that activity up Lamoille canyon that skit we put on as a family.
But that family came in and I invited them to listen to the missionaries and they said they would. So I need to arrange a time when the spanish Elders can go over them and teach them. I got their address and phone number and will call them.
Summer played soccer in So. Tahoe on Friday and Fallon on Sat. They lost to So. Tahoe 3-0 and beat Fallon 4-3. I guess she did not play that well on Friday and did not start on Saturday's game. So we need to get her hustling all the time.
Elko played Truckee on Sat. and they were behind 32-0 in the 4th quarter. Truckee is back to there greatness and undefeated again this year. BYU played West Virginia and lost 31-27 or something. BYU was driving for the win in the last few minutes of the game and Taysom through a pass in the end zone and the BYU receiver tipped it and it was picked off by West Virginia and game over.
We had fast Sunday today as General Conference is next week. We had a really good sacrament meeting with all the testimonies. We were suppose to have the Becks over for dinner, he got baptized when Bishop Bryce was bishop and then they moved to the 5th ward and he was struggling a little, but one of their kids were sick and did not come.
Mom and I are going out home teaching now.
We love you. Keep working hard and being a great example to the rest. Learn every thing you can while working so closely with the President. It will benefit you for the rest of your life.
Have a super week.
Love Dad
Dearest Elder Nielsen,
Can you believe that our little "Car-Car" is turning 12 tomorrow? She is ready to be in YW. The Primary Program is in Oct. She was kind of glad that her birthday came first so that she wouldn't be up there. But the Primary President wants her to help them out because she knows all the songs, and our Primary is so small. She said she would sing, but she didn't want a speaking part. Adelaide said she wanted to take her place in Activity Days, that's the group of 8-11 year olds that do fun activities twice a month.
It was picture day last week at Northside, and it was a rainy day, but Ads still looked cute--she told me so. It rained really hard that morning ; off and on all day. We were supposed to have the Ruby Mountain Balloon Festival this past weekend, but it was kind of a bummer, because it was too windy and cloudy to really launch anything.
Val and Ruthe Esplin had plans to hike the Ruby Crest Trail this past weekend as well. They have really gotten into hiking this past year, and have hiked up to a lot of the lakes up in the Rubies. It was at Amber and Kevin's Open House that they told us their plans to take 3 days and backpack across the Ruby Crest. Val even invited Dad and I to go along when we told them that that was something we would like to do. I asked what they would do it it snowed and he kind of pompously said, " bring it on". Well, that is what happened. They hiked up to their first campsite and it rained all that night on them, and they were wet and cold, so they decided to go back and then they got caught in a snow storm, which they were not dressed for. They couldn't see the trail because it was covered with snow. They said a lot of prayers and made it the 12 miles back to their truck, but they weren't sure if they would make it. She talked about it in her testimony today. Kind of scary. I would have never gone with an impending storm--you know me... I am a fair weather hiker!
Summer had soccer games in So. Tahoe and Fallon. They lost to Tahoe 3-0 and finally got their first first league win againt Fallon 4-3. Her coach told her she needed a lesson from her big sister in shielding. The bus had some engine problem (something with the oil gauge) and so they were stuck out by Rye Patch for and hour and a half until a bus from Winnemuccca could get out their and get them.
I bet you are looking forward to Conference this next weekend--Super Bowl for missionaries right?
Dad booked my flight to Peru this past week, so I guess we are going. I am not sure yet how I feel about it. I'm excited to go, but I have a hard time being gone away from the kids. Erin is coming and staying with them while we are gone. She finished her Cosmetology schooling so she is available. I wish she could go, it doesn't seem right that I am going and she isn't, but we told her when she and Landon go someday we will babysit for them.
I hope you have a super week. It sounds like things are going well, with lots of people progressing. Keep it up!
Love, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment