Monday, March 18, 2013

Springy

Hello Sister Nielsen,
 
We have been wondering all week where you were going to end up with this transfer.  Where ever it is, I know you will do well and be a great trainer, if you did get your baby.  We are all doing great here.  I am a year older and wiser now.  On Friday, Summer told me in the morning, "Dad, enjoy your last day of being 48 years old".   When she put it that way, I wasn't too excited to complete another years.  Then that evening, she said, well, did you enjoy your last day of being 48?  This week again went by too fast.  I worked on taxes and tried to get caught up with them.  Work has been very busy and we have had to deal with alot of problem children students lately so that has not been too good.  On Wednesday night, they asked me if I would referee the Mid-night basketball here at the college.  I said yes and I was refereeing or shooting from 9:30 pm to 1:30 am.  I was tired, if nothing else of being on my feet that long.  The YSA group had a coed team with the Polish? kids and the one girl that said she was your friend.  A tall girl from Spring Creek, that graduated in 2008.  I believe by the name of Katie.  She said she had been at our house a couple times, and at your farewell.  Then on Thurs. morning, I still went and played bball at the high school.  So I was very tired through out the day. 
 
On Friday, we were going to Utah for my bday and the sportsman expo. in SLC, but we did not get away on time so mom and I went to a BYU alumni association fireside.  It was really good.  The guy who spoke was the 2nd counselor in the General Sunday school presidency.   He did a good job, the subject was living a sacred life in a secular world.  He told some stories of Ephriam Hanks, one of the people that save the martin handcart company.  I guess he had a beard down to his belt buckle and would run his hands through it all the time.  One time at a dance, in 1893, Brigham Young saw him walk in and went up to him and said, "Eff, it is time you get clean shaven".  This is a time when all the 1st presidency and quorum of the 12 all had beards on their faces.  So he went home and shaved off all his beard, but left his mustache, and went back.  Brigham saw him again and went up to him and started rubbing his face with his hands and said, Eff, I said completely clean shaven.  So he went home and shave off his mustache and went back to the dance.  But he was completely obedient.
 
We had fun in Utah.  Mom and I went to the jordan river temple and did an endowment in spanish.  That was the 1st time I have done a complete endowment in spanish.  I had listened to them before, but never did the veil work in spanish.  It was kind of hard being the 1st time.  But it was neat.
 
Then Cody, me, Darhl and Joe went to their church and shot hoops for a while, and i did some soft tosses to Cody to hit the baseball behind their church.  Afterwards, all the brothers and sisters and spouses came over and we had cake and ice cream at mom's for mine and Darhls bdays.  It was a good time.  Our family and mom went over to Sharons to eat after church yesterday, pappa murphys pizza and then we came back to Elko.  Erin stayed home for a track meet and take care of the dog.  That was the 1st time in months that mom has gone to all 3 meetings.  Erin got a 66 seconds in the 400 and a 28 in the 200.  The 66 was 2 seconds faster than last week, so that was good.
 
Other than that, things are all going well.  We love you and hope you and your new baby have great success in your new area.  We pray for you daily.
 
Have a super week,
 
Love DAD


Dear Sis. Nielsen,

     It's finally starting to feel like spring is coming.  We had a pretty nice weekend, but today there's kind of got a chilly wind.
We went to Utah on sat. morning after Cody finished his papers.  It was stk. temple day at the SLC temple, but we just went to the Jordan River Temple.  It was Dad's birthday, and he kind of wanted to go to the sportsman's expo, but most of the day was done, and he didn't think it was worth it.  So, he and Cody went and played basketball with Joe and Daryl for awhile and I went to Costco and picked up the usual-- syrup, pecans, olive oil, and I got a pair of colored jeans for myself, (turquoise color-very fashionable) a birthday cake for Dad, and the new Josh Groban CD, that Dad will be giving me on my birthday :)  Then everyone came over and we had a little party for Dad and Daryl(his birthday was the next day).  It was a lot of fun.  Adelaide decided she likes playing with Trevor, Jedd's boy.  So, she made him play hide and seek with her.  --funny side story--  Carly wasn't feeling well one morning last week, so she stayed home from school.  When Addie got up Carly told her, "Adelaide, I'm sick", to which she promptly replied, "I'm not sick, I'm healthy!"
Brynna is the popcorn maker now, they make it in this popper that has a rotar on the bottom that spins around and moves the kernals as it heats them, so they don't burn.  We thought that would be a good thing for Dad, so there wouldn't be any more fires, blackened pots on the bottom, or scorched marks on the grass.  We had a fun time, the Jazz were playing and won, so Grandma was really happy about that.  She is really into Jazz games now, she watches every one of them.  Sometimes Dad will call her at night and if she's watching the Jazz game, it's a really short conversation.  She really likes Dancing with the Stars too.  That's starting a new season tonight and she mentioned that to me 3 times while I was there.
     We went to church with Gram,  Dad found 2 girls, that were 17 and told them to help Cody find his class.  Did you know he's going to prom with Whitney?  He's going to wear Dad's grey suit from his early working days and then renting a teal vest and tie to match her dress.
Erin didn't go with us to UT because she had a track meet.  So, she and Chica hung out.
     Sharon had us over after church for Pizza, salad and fruit.  That was yum.  Then we went home. It was St. Patrick's Day and I forgot to wear green, I didn't fix any rainbow jello, or do any of the traditional Irish stuff.  Erin kept some tradition by opening up the Lucky Charms for breakfast,  I wondered if she would remember.  I  guess they are constantly reminded every time they go to get cereal and they see it there and know they can't have it until Leprechaun day.
     Be on the lookout for a letter. I put some money in there for a new camera.  We did purchase the warranty so I called them and they will replace it.  We have to send it back with all the accessories, and they will send me a gift card for the amount  of purchase.  They are sending a return label via e-mail.  I think the easiest thing to do is to forward the label to you if you can print it, and have you send the camera back directly. There shouldn't be any cost with the return label on.  If you can't print the label, then send the camera here and I will send it back.
     I'm very curious to hear where you are now,  if the prediction of your transfer was correct.  Soooooo, looking forward to your letter.
Love from Elko,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment