Monday, November 4, 2013

Happy November

Another week gone and we are sitting at the computer trying to remember what has happened this past week.  Halloween, trick or treaters, etc.
 
I taught my accounting class on Monday night which went long.  I only have two classes left to teach, so I am trying to cover as much as possible before the next test.  On Tuesday, Cody and I went out hunting.  My tag expired on Monday, so Cody decided he was going to take a doe, if we could not find a buck.  It snowed most of the night and it was pretty slick going up Krenka Creek again.  The clouds were low and we could not see much at a distance.  We hiked 3/4 of the way up the mtn. and we saw a herd of about 30-40 deer.  There were no big bucks in the group that we could see, so he picked out a doe and shot.  He hit it and it started running down hill like crazy.  We followed her tracks and she took us all the way down to the trail and he finished her off.  But we still had about 2 miles to drag her to the truck.  He had to be back to school by 1:00 pm so he could practice football and play on Friday night.  So we drug her out whole and hurried home.  He made it to school on time, but we were both exhausted.    I ended up taking the day off so I could take care of it.  The elko girls soccer team was suppose to play spring creek that afternoon, so mom and I and the girls went to the game, but it was postponed as the field was too wet.
 
Wed. we had the trunk or treat at the church.  Mom made chile and we took the girls to that.  It was pretty cold, co the chile inside the church was nice.  We had alot of people show up.  Afterwards, mom and the girls went to a cancer fund raising event where the cheerleaders were playing the dance team in bball.  Cody was coaching the dance team. and then they had a dance that they did at half time.  I guess everyone had a good time and tons of people showed up to the event.
 
Thurs. was Halloween.  Adelaide really had fun and like it alot.  She told mom, trick or treating is really fun.  But after our block, she was tired and said I want to go home.
 
Friday, Elko played Spring Creek in football.  Elko won 43 - 8.  So Elko, Fallon and Lowry all tied for 1st, but with the point system, we took 2nd and will host a 1st round game this week against Lowry.
 
Sat. I spent most of the day cutting up the deer.  Sunday was really busy.  Meetings, church, choir practice, etc.  We had 4 missionaries over for dinner and another family of 6 over who are moving to California.  We got everything ready and I had to leave for a missionary meeting with President Shumway.  He is going out with a bang.  He is not waisting any time.  It was a great meeting.  All meetings with President Shumway are great.  He said missionary work was the biggest thing on his mind the entire 9.5 years more so than any thing else.  He worried more about that than any thing else.  After the meeting everyone was still there, but they left soon after I got there.  So I missed all the excitement at home.
 
Then we did out stake choir practice as a family.  We moved our clocks back yesterday, so that will take some time adjusting to the new schedule.
 
On Wed. night when we got home from trunk or treat, we had a message on our phone from the missionary couple that you served with on the big island that just went home.  They said they were traveling through Elko to pick up their car.  We were sorry we missed them.  Mom called them back and left a message and then the wife called mom back and talked for about 15 minutes.  They said you were a great missionary.
 
Mom also got an email from Ardis Jensen who said they met up with you over there and that you hardly recognized them.  Bishop Esplin and his wife spent 10 days on Hawaii island??, and ran into some sister missionaries who knew you.  It is neat meeting people who know you and have worked with you as a missionary.
 
We love you and are so greatful you are on a mission.  Erin leaves in less than a month and 1/2.  She wants to keep her temple recommend with President shumway before he gets out.  So she is trying to get that done this week.  Whitney went to the temple again on Sat. and she was asked to speak in sacretmeeting in 2 weeks.  That is great.  All saturday night sessions now at stake conference are going to be about missionary work, which came down from the 1st presidency.  The hastening of the work.
 
Have a super week.  We love you and pray for you daily.
 
Love
Dad 


My Dearest Sis. Nielsen,


I started out the week training a fellow on the paper route that I have been subbing.  He lives in the Cimarron Trailer Park, and he said he worked at  Motel 6, and that they had cut his hours and so he thought this paper route would help pay for his rent.  He grew up in Carlin, and is 33 yrs. old.  We were delivering the paper to the Catholic Church and I asked him if he was Catholic. He said No, he didn 't really belong to a church, but his Mom was Mormon.  So, I queried him a little about that.  He said his mom had attended BYU, and met his Dad in Utah, who wasn't a member and she quit going to church and didn't raise him in the church.  After that I kept throwing out little comments about the church.  Finally, when it was time to part ways, I just came out and popped the question... I asked him if he would be willing to listen to a brief message from the missionaries.  He said, "OK, I don't get many visitors."  I did it!  I made a big move from my comfort zone, and opened my mouth, and you know,  it wasn't really that hard.  I called the missionaries and gave them his info and they have an appt. with him today.  Do you do the "Willing and Brief" program?  The sister missionaries came over last week and explained it and gave me a challenge to try it.  Are you so proud of me?  Now, I want to try it again.

Summer tried out and made the Flagview Choir.  Ms. Kaitee Ackerman is the music teacher there. She practices twice a week after school.

Trunk or treat was Wed.  We didn't decorate our trunk, it was pretty scarrry as it was.  I made white chicken chili for the chili potluck afterwards, and it was gone before I got to it in line. I think because it was different and not the typical red chili.

Summer went trick or treating with 3 other friends up  in the Poplar St. area.  She had fun going out without parents.  Carly and Adelaide and I went down our street and back.  Addie was really able to get it this year.  I made her some Jasmine princess pants and improvised the rest and that was her costume.  Carly was a cute witch.

You  got a letter from BYU-I that said you were accepted for Spring/Summer semester after your missionary deferment.  Classes start Apr. 26th.

The Esplins just got back from  10 days in Kauai for their 25th anniversary.  I told Dad, "Esplins went to Hawaii for their 25th, what are we going to do?" He said  we were going to go to Owyhee, and we could stay at the Feather Lodge.  Ha Ha

I talked to Sis. Raviere (?)  from your mission.  They said you were an excellent missionary and a wonderful trainer.  She had so many good things to say about you.  They are giving their homecoming talks this Sunday.  They said they would come out here when you give yours.

Have a fabulous week,
Much Aloha,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment