Hola,
I am now sending this email to 2 daughters on missions which is awesome. This past week was really busy. Monday night we had the choralier concert and it was great. We think it was one of the best concerts they have ever done. Not that the singing was that much better, but all the students were enjoying themselves and having a good time. They had the dancing and singing group which Cody participated in and they had this group of 5 seniors singing a few acapella songs that they had made up them selves and they had a little band with drums, base, guitars, piano etc. It sounded like he that musical group who does Christmas songs. But Ms. Rodgers was in a good mood and it was a very fun evening. Erin was able to go up and sing the alumni songs with the group so that was good. We got there 15 to 20 minutes early and were still late. We could not find seats. So we had to break up and sit in different areas.
Tuesday night, Erin got set apart as a missionary by President Lewis. President Shumway and his wife were there along with President Esplin, and then our family and Whitney. We thought is would be good for Whitney to see and hear the setting apart. It was really good. He asked President Shumway to give the opening prayer. And in his prayer, he mentioned something about those present here and those present in spirit (both from this life and the next). President Lewis gave Erin some advice. Told her not to get discourage and Satan will use discouragement as one of his biggest weapons on the mission. He told her she would see alot of poverty, etc. Then he asked Mom to bear her testimony and Sister Shumway and President shumway and President Esplin and myself. It was really neat. President Shumway said that Amber was only 1 of 3 that he could not set apart in his 9.5 years of service, so being there with Erin kind of made up for that. President Esplin said he had known Erin since the day she was born. Any way, it was all very nice and then President Lewis gave Erin a very nice blessing; that she would be healthy and avoid sickness, that she would learn the language and love the people that she is serving. It was a very special night and evening.
We came home and had prayer an scriptures and Erin was getting all the last things done and packed etc. At about 10 pm the phone rang and we thought it was Ben, so we said, do we answer that? I told mom, yes we should and that is probably Chelsea calling to talk to Erin before she leaves. It was a lady from the church travel department and she said that Erins flight from Elko to SLC had been canceled and wondered what we wanted to do. We had 2 choices, we could have her catch a 12:30 flight out of Elko, but then she would miss all her connecting flights and have to stay the night in a hotel in SLC, and fly out the next day by herself, or we could drive her over to SLC to catch her noon flight out of SLC. We asked Erin and she did not want to travel by herself and wanted to drive to SLC. If we missed the flight on Thursday, she would not be able to fly out until after Christmas, which she did not want.
So mom got up at 3:30 am and woke me up, I was trying to sleep until 4:30 but was not able to go back to sleep, so I got up and showered and got every thing ready and we left at 6 am. We had good roads, but there was quite a bit of fog in Utah. Some places were pretty thick. But we made it there in good time and I dropped off Erin at the airport and she made it to Lima. We got an email from her the next day. She got to the Lima MTC at 3 am. I guess in the SLC airport she met up with a group from the provo MTC going to Argentina and her Lima MTC companion was on that flight from Heber Ut and an Elder John from Idaho Falls. We were glad she got there.
After I dropped her off, I went by mom and dad's house and met Sharon and Deeray there and I took home alot of mom's old food storage. They are trying to get rid of all the junk and old things. Charlene will inherit the house, but we think she should sell it and get something more manageable for her to upkeep. I brought home soup, and pickles and old meat from the freezer, etc.
I left Utah around 2:30 pm, as I did not want to be traveling in the dark with alot of fog. I got home around 6 Elko time and then we went to Summer's FFA activity and decorated gingerbread houses. I was tired when we got home, it was a long day.
Thursday was just another day, I played bball in the morning and went to work. Cody left with his bball team to go to Utah for a tournament there. They played Logan on Thursday who was undefeated and suppose to be the #2 team in the state in 4A. Elko won by 3 points. Cody had 7 points, one 3-pointer and 4 for 4 from the line. So without his buckets, they would have lost.
I worked a half day of work on Friday and the kids got out of school at 1 pm, so we went to see Cody play in SLC. We took Whitney with us as this would be the only time she could watch Cody play while she is home. Elko played Heriman and lost 50-41. Elko's 1st loss of the year. Elko did not play very well. They could not make any of their baskets. Cody was 1 for 2 shooting with 2 points total.
We stayed at mom and dads house Friday night. It snowed quite a bit Friday night and sat in utah. Since he lost they played at 1 pm. They played Syracuse and won by 3 points. Cody had one 3 pointer and 1 jump shot for 5 points. He was 0-2 from the free throw line. He missed 2 front end of 1 and 1s. Afterwards, we went to temple square as Whitney had never been there before, to see the lights and temple, etc. We met a ton of visitor sisters missionaries and it was fun. One sister asked me if she could take my phone number and use me as a member present when they are teaching people over the phone. So I said, heck yes. I think that would be great to share the gospel with missionaries when they are calling referrals over the phone. FUN FUN FUN.
We went back to mom's house and Darhl and Deeray, Timmy, Nate, Brenna, and Trevor were there. We had a fun time watching BYU bball team play Oregon, the #13 team in the country. BYU led the entire game and lost in OT. But it was a fun night with tons of laughs. Whitney thought we were all crazy.
Sunday we stayed over to let the weather clear up. We were planning on driving back early and go to church, but it was still snowing, wo we decided to go to church with Charlene. Cody and I did not take our church clothes. The girls had skirts. Cody and I wore 2 of dads old suits, with his cowboy boots. I had a green shirt on of my own, not a church shirt and it did not match at all. Cody said, he had a white shirt of grandma's on, but I am sure we looked liked a couple of hicks. We left after church and drove back to Elko and had great roads. No snow, no fog, etc.
It was a long but short week. Erin, we wanted to know if you were able to take you jerky with you on the plane and through customs. Whitney said she was not allowed to take food or drink with her on the plane.
I hope you two have great weeks. Study hard, learn alot, choose the right and return with honor. Erin will you be able to call or skype on Christmas? We hope you are learning the language and adjusting to the MTC life. How is the food down there in the MTC.
Enjoy this time as a missionary as it goes by very quickly. We will talk to you Amber in a few days. We love you both very much and pray for you daily.
Love,
DAD
My Dear Daughter missionaries,
No comments:
Post a Comment