Monday, December 30, 2013

Welcome 2014!

Hello you two sister Missionaries,
 
It was great to skype Amber Lee for an hour on Christmas day.  It is too bad that Erin could not skype or we could have had a 3 way skype conversation going.  Amber looked great and sounds like everything is going smoothly and wonderfully.
 
This past week was kind of a blur.  I took off the day before Christmas and the day after to work on some house projects.  I had wanted to finish the food storage cabinets and then my air compressor went out on us.  The tank would not hold air.  That thing is practically new and already does not work.  So I went and worked on "Chelsea's bedroom" down in the basement.  Cody and Amber will now probably put dibs on that room when it is done. Christmas eve was interesting as Summer and Carly were throwing up all night long.  Then the next day, Cody and I had a bit of the Flu bug.  I was not throwing up, but had to stay close to the Bano with the Rocky Mountain quick step was going on with me.  Cody just felt bad, but I don't think he ever threw up.  Friday, I went back to work and Mom and I and Cody and Whitney went to the college to watch BYU play in the bowl game.  They got beat 31-15 by Washington.  They played decent the 1st half, but did not do any thing the 2nd half.  The 3 younger girls had a late night at the Goldings house and did not get home until 11:00 pm, way past their curfew.
 
Saturday, I worked in the basement on the room again.  One of Whitney's referrals to the Sister missionaries got baptized Sat. afternoon.  I don't remember her name, but last name of Williams and is a junior in high school and plays softball as well.  Cody knows her.  Cody went to the baptism and then he and Whitney spent all afternoon and evening playing games.  Cody was beating her and she was not happy, (very competitive).
 
Sunday, mom spoke in sacratmeeting about her 2 daughters serving missions and did a good job.  We had Whitney, and the elders and sister missionaries over for dinner after church.   Then our home teachers came over to visit us.  And Cody and I did our home teaching for the month.  We were suppose to have a discussion with Matt, the paper route guy that mom did a willing and brief question to at 7:30 but he was not home.  We did have a discussion with him in our home with the Elders on Friday night about the restoration and he seemed interested and wanted to read the BOM, but had no real religious background knowledge at all.  I was not very impressed with the teaching abilities or presentation methods used of the Elders.  I liked the way the sisters taught Whitney.
 
We watched Ephram's Rescue with Whitney Sunday night, but both mom and I were out sleeping very quickly.  Amber, have you seen that movie yet.  The missionaries here were able to watch it on Christmas day.  It is like the 17 miracles.
 
Tricia, Whitneys roommate is getting baptized this Sat. at 7 pm.  So that will be good. Ol whit is quit the missionary already.  Not a whole lot more going on in our lives.  Cody got 3 days off from basketball and now they have league games this Friday and Saturday.  Cody is trying to finish his eagle project, so he can get his eagle scout and drivers license.  He is pretty anxious for his license.
 
Well I hope you 2 have a great week.  Erin, I hope your companion straightens out.  You still need to keep being obedient and doing every thing you are suppose to whether she does them or not.  Your mission is very similiar so far to mine.
 
Erins Mission                                            Dad's Mission
Erin left 2013                                            Dad left 1983
Erin left 10 days after 19 yrs old           Dad left 1 day after I turned 19
Erin went to Peru Lima South                Dad went to Argentina, Buenos Aires South
Erins MTC comp named Sissons            Dad's MTC comp named Sexton
Erin's MTC comp struggling at MTC      Dad's MTC comp went home from MTC after a week or 2
Erin named SHE HULK in MTC                Dad named MAN HULK in MTC, (no just kidding) Elder Smiley was my name
 
A few similarities but I thought they were kind of interesting.
 
Have a super week.  We love you two and pray for your success daily.
 
Love Dad
 


My Dear Daughter Missionaires,


I hate to admit it, but I am so relieved Christmas is over!  It is just so overwhelming.  I make a goal each year to try and not get so stressed out, but its hard to avoid.  I was doing pretty well, enjoying the whole season...loved Choralier Concert, caroling with Shumways, lights at temple square, then the last week kind of snuck up and bit me.  I still had shopping and wrapping to do on Christmas Eve Ahhhhh!  Where are my elves?!!!  I had to let something go and it was the Christmas letter.  I finally got everyone together for a picture the night Erin was set apart, even then Cody was still in his sweats from practice.  I just sent out cards and the picture.

We had a good Christmas.  Everyone seemed happy with their gifts.  Most of Cody's gifts were ones he would have to pick out for himself, so he got lots of gift cards.  One gift was "the gift of food",  he got a giant size Toblerone Chocolate bar with gift cards attached to it for various food establishments that he can use on road trips. Addie loved the pink dress Erin.  We call it her party dress.  She wore it to church on Sunday and looked really adorable.

We had papers to deliver on Christmas and so I took a card and a little box of candy to the house where I killed their candy cane, and left it by their mailbox.  I said I could see that they had either fixed or replace the lighted candy cane that I had taken out, and I appreciated how kind and understanding they were about my little mishap in demolishing candy cane lane.   A couple days later when I was delivering past their house a guy came out and said, He really appreciated the card and candy.  He was so touched by it I thought he might hug me.  It was a warm fuzzy moment.

I got to speak on Sunday and talk about the both of you.  I thought Dad should take one missionary and split it up and we both talk, but her said it was, "a Mom thing " and that I could do both.  I opened up by giving a big,"Aloha!"  they responded pretty well.  I told them to be prepared for you Amber when you get home and speak, so hopefully they will be ready to give it right back to you.
After church the girls brought home some things from Primary that we had put in a time capsule when I was Primary Pres. 10 years ago!  There was a picture of Cody's primary class when he was a CTR 7, with Aubrey Carroll, Elizabeth Grow, Tamara Terrillion, Trevor Stone, Trevor Garvin, and some other kids that have moved away.  Erin's class was in there too, and there was also a little questionnaire.  One question Erin answered was what is you favorite primary song and why.  Erin put "Popcorn Popping, because she knows how to sing it and she likes popcorn".  There was a picture of my presidency:  Me, Paula Stetler, Linda Hirst, and Nikki Dart was the secretary.  I remember making that time capsule and but, had forgotten that 2013 marked the year to open it.
We had the Elders and Sisters over for dinner.  There wasn't a lot of talking at the table, everyone was focused on eating-- I guess they liked it (Swedish Meatballs is always a pleaser)
Amber-  Sachelle is pregnant and on bed rest, so the ward is taking sign ups for sisters to go over and help her and bring meals.
We are having a very relaxed and easy week now.  If the girls ever finish cleaning their room we are going to go to the movies and see "Frozen".  It's the Disney movie about the fairy tale of the Snow Queen.  I told them to go look in the freezer because there was a "frozen" treat in there for them-- and that's where they found the movie tickets.
Cody went jack rabbit hunting with Clancy this morning.  They took Chica and I guess she enjoyed that and didn't even mind the shooting of the guns.  Cody shot one.  Yum!  we threw it away.

We don't have big plans for New Years.  I think we will play our 7 or 11 game.  Carly is really looking forward to it. She is always asking about it.  Cody's got games this weekend, that will be fun to see him back in action.  He's been practicing driving the bug, but I had to postpone his drive test yet again.  He is getting really close on his Eagle though.

Hope you are both doing wonderfully.  I love you both so much.
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment