We are in the deep freeze currently right now in Elko. I left to Vegas Monday morning around 5:00 am and the weather was usual for that time of year. Vegas was in the 50's when we got there, but then the artic freeze moved in and Elko has not been above 32 degrees since. Last night it was suppose to be -18. Winnemucca and Ely got down to -37 or close to that.
Well I had some good department of ed training in Vegas. I stayed at the Luxor hotel and it was ok. The conference was in the Mandalay bay hotel and the two hotels are connected by walk strips. So I did not leave the hotel the entire week. I missed lunch everyday as we had training meetings the entire time. Vegas was even getting down to 23 degrees. We came back Friday night at 6:30 pm. I had to do the books for Cody's game. Elko beat Damonte Ranch by 40 points 83-43 on Friday and then they beat Reno High school sat. by 20 points. 76-56 or something like that. Cody did not have any points either game. He played ok, but does not have any confidence in his shooting. It look to me like he had changed his form. So Sat. morning, cody, summer, carly and I went to the church to work on their shooting form and get his shot back. We shot for a little over an hour. He was doing good when we left, but was tired. Then I did the books for 3 games including Cody. So I was gone most of the day. It snowed last Tuesday and again Sat. morning. Some girl got hit by a car Friday night after the game crossing the street. I guess she is ok, broken leg, etc.
Sunday, Erin gave her farewell in the YSA branch, so cody, mom and I went to listen to her speak. She did a good job. Next week she speaks in our ward and that is her last sunday until her mission. She received her itinerary and she flys out Wed. morning on the 18th from elko, around 6 am. I believe she flys to Dallas, then atlanta, then lima. We still have a lot to do to get her all ready. She has semester tests this week, and then we have a lot to get done.
We had tithing settlement on sunday afternoon, and we had the elders from the YSA branch over for dinner for ERin's big 18th birthday. After tithing settlement, we went to the Creche festival at the stake center. Mom stayed and did her 2 hour turn there from 6-8 pm.
The paper truck broke down today coming from Twin Falls, so the papers were late, and mom was out delivering all 3 routes all day long.
Well, I can't think of much else to say, as I was in meetings all week. We love you and hope you have a very special, successful week.
Cody starts league play this week in Fernley and Fallon friday and sat.
Keep working hard and enjoy these last 2 months.
Love,
Dad
Dear Aloha Girl,
It has been so cold lately. I saw on the national news that the whole country is in a deep freeze except for two places... Miami 80 degrees and Hawaii was 81 degrees. Lucky you. Chica wants to be in all day because of the cold. She is such a wimp. She just stays curled up on her little bed in the utility area.
Today was a crazy day! It started out topsy turvy because the truck that brings the paper down from Twin Falls broke down on the way and they had to have another one come and get the papers and bring them to Elko. They got here at about 10 am. Cody of course was gone to school, so I had to do them all by myself, which took about 3 hrs., since I had two big paper bags full of huge Christmas Ad packed Finders to deliver as well. My spine just gets crushed by the weight of the papers. My arms were going numb from all the pressure on my shoulders. I was waddling down someone's driveway and there was a part of the driveway that was buckled up about an inch higher and because there was snow on the ground I couldn't see it, so of course it tripped me up and I fell forward, but my overloaded paper bag broke my fall and I wasn't hurt, but worse, I was seen! A guy came out and asked me if I was OK. I told him I was and that falling and slipping was just a hazard of the job. It didn't get better. Two of the Finders I threw exploded when I threw them because the rubber bands had broken. The topper was when I was chucking one of the big ol' log sized Finders and it hit one of the decorative candy canes lining the walkway and it sheared it right off and broke it. Oooops! I went to the door and apologized for killing her candy cane and said I would replace it. The lady was really understanding. I felt like the little baseball kid who broke a window and had to go confess.
Then I had to go collect our nativities from the Creche. Do you know this is it's 9th year? Its such a great missionary tool, with all the school choirs they have come sing, you know there are a lot of nonmember families coming to watch and look around. Some would never have ever come in to one of our churches otherwise.
I did the monitoring on Sun. night and I had my badge (sticky label) with my name on it, and when I walked through the door at home Adelaide saw me and said, "Did you go on a mission?" I did do some missionarying this week. I invited a gal to the RS Christmas dinner last week. I see her everyday when I am cross guarding up at Northside. She walks past me and we chat for a few seconds. When I heard that quote about the hastening, and that with the surge of new missionaries, Heavenly Father is also preparing people for them to teach. Elder Christiansen said "You pass them on the street..." I immediately thought of her. I think she really enjoyed it. It turned out really well, everything was really yummy.
Erin's days are numbered. I am starting to get a little melancholy about it. Not so much because of the mission, but this is her first time leaving me. Just like when you and Chelsea went away to college, and I missed you both so much.
Cody and the bball team had a great showing at the Red Lion Tournament. They beat all teams handedly. They all play really well. Nate Klekas is playing great. Cody needs to shoot more. He's lost speed with his increased size and knee problems, but he will still help them. He is such a fun fellow. We like the humor he brings to the family. He will soon get his Eagle and drivers' license, he is ready. (to not have Mom drive him everywhere and bum rides home)
I hope you are enjoying your glorious weather. Dad and I hit the big 25 yr. mark tomorrow. I think we are going to The Star for dinner.
I love you and am proud of you for being a wonderful missionary,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment