Como anda todo en la mision? Espero que todo ande bien. Andamos bien aca en la casa. We had a pretty good week. We still have many activities as the school year is rapping up. Summer had her piano recital on Tuesday night. Sister Bryce is her piano teacher and that only lasted 1/2 hour so that was good. Summer had a baseball game on Monday night and they won again. Whitney is home from college now and she came and watched the game. Summer was really excited and nervous for Whitney to watch her. She got the game ball, so I guess she did ok. She is not swinging the bat too much these days, it appears she is looking for a walk every time. Summer also go selected to the over the summit team, which is where they choose the 3 best players from each team and they will play the 3 best players of all the spring creek teams. So she is excited about that. Carly had a talent show at school, so we went and watch her last week as well. She and Payton made up this dance routine and did very well. They were selected to dance in the finals the next day.
Monday, May 26, 2014
Happy Memorial Day!
On Wed. Summer had her spring singing concert at Flagview. Thursday, we had YMYW. So we had something everyday this week. On Sat. we were trying to decide whether we should go to Holbrook ID to get a tour of the places where my great grandparents (the Petersens and the Nielsens) homesteaded. But I guess they decided they would not have enough time for both so they decided to only do the Petersens and then sit around and talk. They will plan a bigger day and have a barbeque etc, we will try to attend that. We had 2 baptisms in the 3rd ward on Sat. Derek Beck a husband of a less active member and Lois Gurr, a single lady in her 60s. Bishop Bryce was out of town and Mason Simons went out of town to fish for the day, so we decided I better stay in town and represent the bishopric at the baptisms. Baptisms are always nice and they both had active members in the church in their families. Sunday Cassidy Nielsen had her farewell. She goes into the MTC this wed. She is going to Mexico. I guess they did not tell too many people as she has a boy friend and was wondering if she was going to go through with it or not.
Yesterday, we had good meetings at church. Whitney went to the singles branch and came over afterwards to dinner. Last night Cody and I went and visited 4 families for our home teaching visits. Amber is trying to plan a trip back to Hawaii and if we leave this Thursday, it is only $523 per person for the round trip flights. Since Amber is going to be visiting all her mission people, we were thinking that mom and I, Amber and Chelsea would go. But Chelsea has girls camp next week and we would have to find someone to take the kids to school and watch Adelaide, so I am not sure if that would work or not. The price is great, but we would have a lot to plan to get done. So we will see what happens. We were trying to figure out a time when Cody could watch the kids, but he has basketball all of June. Mom has girls camp in June. Amber is going to be a EFY counselor all of July, 2 weeks in Orem, 1 week in Pennsylvania, and 1 week in Palmyra New York. And I am really busy at work in August. So we will see what happens.
I was talking to Sharon last week and she told me some interesting stories. She said her Stake President is over all the vehicles for the church. And they had their stake conference 2 weeks ago. Well a week before their stake conference, her stake president got a call from Elder Bednar and Elder Bednar told him his car had a rattle in it and he wanted it fixed. So Bednar said I will come pick you up right now so you can hear the rattle and fix it. So they got in the car and drove around and sure enough no rattle noise. They got on the highway, no noise. Bednar said, I am going to go by my house as it always rattles then. Well they drove by his house and still no noise or rattle. So in the midst of all their driving around, the stake president told Bednar that they were having stake conference the next week and he told Bednar that he was going to challenge all the youth in his stake to do family history and to find at least 1 name to submit for temple work. And when Bednar heard that, he said, I need to pull over. So he pulled over the car and looked him straight in the eyes and said that family history is the only way we are going to overcome the addiction to pornography. He said pornography is rampant in the world and inside the church as well and that family history is the only way we are going to overcome that addiction. He said that 3 times. He also said that family history can help us over come any addiction, or any problem we are having in this life. Bednar said, think about it, we are helping these angles do things that they can not do and in return these angles will help protect us from any sin or problems we are having. He said that satan is trying to use the greatest tool we have to hasten the work the computer, to divert us to other bad things like pornography.
I told that to President Lewis and told him he was inspired when he told the entire stake to do all the names when they go to the temple.
Any way, I thought that was a good story. Also, Brandon and Ally Dunn got to go out to dinner with Elder Holland and his wife last week at Yale. That is where Elder Holland got his doctorate degree. They went to dinner with all the LDS married couples at Yale. There were either 7 or 14 couples, I can't remember. But Brandon said, he loved the part where sister Holland said it is a miracle to see how the Lord can take an ordinary man and chip off the rough edges and turn him in to an apostle of the Lord. She said they were so poor at Yale that there were times when she had to ask their neighbor to borrow 50 cents to go buy milk for her kids. Elder HOlland said that there were many times when he just wanted to quit school and he could not take it any more. One time he told his wife, I am done, I can not do this any more. I can go find a good job with the education I already have, we do not need to go through these problems any more. And he said, sister HOlland took his face in her hands like she has done many many times since then and looked him right in the eyes and said, "Jeffrey, you are not going to quit. We can do this. We can make it through these problems and we will get through them all".
Any way I thought that was kind of neat.
Well we love you and pray for you daily. We are going to spend Memorial day weekend here at the house working on home projects. l Have a great week. We were glad to hear you had such a great week last week. Keep working hard and being obedient and the Lord will bless you in everything.
Love
DAD
Dearest Hermana Nielsen,
It is a very lovely day today, and we will most likely stay at home and get things done around here, until this evening when we will go to Cody's baseball banquet. Its a potluck (the best banquets), so everybody gets to go.
We have been looking at flights to Hawaii and Dad found one that is pretty cheap (524.00/ person, round trip to Honolulu) thats a good deal, only its this thurs. and it takes off out of Vegas. Crazy thing is it leaves Vegas and then goes to SLC where there is a 3 hr layover and then goes to HI. Dad called and asked if you could just catch up to the flight in UT, but they said if you don't board in LV its like a cancellation. Sooooo, Idk, we are considering going, but its so fast to prepare for and Cody would have to take care of everything at home, school is still in session, so I would have to farm out Adelaide somewhere, ahhh, we are kind of befuddled about what to do. Amber of course is all for it, but we may have to find another time that could work better.
It rained quite a bit last week, I had to cancel soccer practice on tues. because it was pouring. The hills are getting green around town, and if you look at the Rubies they are covered in snow. Its beautiful.
Summer did well at her piano recital. She had a duet with Jordan Olsen and then a solo of her own. She was also selected as a player for the "Battle of the Summit" Team, kind of a little all star team for the league. There were 3 players selected from each team, and she was one from her team. The combined Elko team will play the team from SC and Wells, in 2 weeks. She was excited about that. She had a game last mon. night and Whitney came and watched her, which made her happy and nervous, she didn't seem to be concentrating very well.
Sat. we attended 2 convert baptisms for people in our ward, which was really good.
I don't know if I mentioned it in my last letter, but Sadie Goulding had to have her appendix removed, and she has a big long scar like Chelsea did and she has to let it heal without stitches, like Chels, because it was kind of ooozing. It has been kind of an ordeal for her.
Cody took your camera and went out with Romney and took her senior pictures for her. I was kind of surprised that she trusted him (although, it was free of charge) He said everyone was impressed with your sr. pics that "he" took. I said yeah, but Erin set it up and you just pushed the button. He assured me he took more creative control than that. I guess they got some good ones and she was happy with them.
I told Adelaide she had an "Addie"tude, because we kept telling her to pick up her coloring stuff and she would say,"fine". Here's another one I forgot to mention:
A- I want Mom
Dad- Why do you want Mom?
A- Because she's the best girl ever.
Dad- What about me?
A- Your're a good guy.
Well, we loved your letter last week, miracles are fun to read about, keep it up you wonderful girl.
Love, Mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment