Monday, June 16, 2014

Back on the mainland

Hola Hermana Nielsen,
 
Well we hope you are having a great time in your new area.  We are glad you are there to protect your companion as well.  How is the spanish coming along?  Any better?  Cody said it even says in preach my gospel that you are suppose to study your language for 1/2 hour every day.  Even though your companeras don't need to study, you need to tell them that you need that time.
 
Well we got back safely from Hawaii.  It was a good, fun trip.  I forgot to tell you last week that when we went to see Iolani's palace, it was going to cost $15 each to get in. When I questioned the price, the lady said unless you are military and then you can get in for free.  So I said, "Do I look military to you?" jokingly and then when I went to give her my credit card, there were some people behind me, and she just motioned us away with our tickets for free.  I tried to tell her Mahalo, thank you in Hawaiian and I said something like Malano.  I killed it, but it was really nice of that lady to let us in for free.
 
Monday after we wrote our letters, we got all our stuff ready and packed and left the Jensen's condo.  We also saved $50 as they wanted us to pay $50 for parking at the condo and I parked a couple hundred yards away down the street and did not pay.  Hopefully we were not breaking any condo rules, but we did not park there.
 
We went to a macadamia nut factory and they had all kinds of different flavors to sample for free.  I liked the samples, but what they were selling was very expensive.  We met a family from Provo, UT there.  I told Connie, I bet that family is LDS, and I asked them and sure enough, they were.
 
Then we went to a beach on the big island which was part of this expensive hotel's.  We spent about 1.5 hours there and I was getting bored.  You can only swim in the ocean for a certain period of time, and I had reached the limit.  And I am not one for laying in the sun on the beach.  That gets boring as well.  Then we went to costco and ross to buy the little girls some dresses and we drove to find Captian Cook's place where he landed and was killed, but by time we got there, we had to turn around and get back to the airport.
 
We caught a plane back to Oahu, and then back to Las Vegas.  We left Monday evening around 9 pm and got in to Vegas around 9:00 am.  We caught a taxi back to the MGM where I parked the car and then drove back to Elko.  We got back around 5 pm Elko time.  It was a long, fun, exhausting trip.  I was glad to be back home and try to get our lives back on schedule.  I have a ton of work to do to get caught up.  Summer had her 'allstar' game against Spring creek on wed., but she showed up 1/2 hour late.  So she only got to play a couple innings and struck out at bat.  Elko lost in extra innings.
 
Cody had youth conference and they had President Hermanson from the Reno Nevada Mission and his wife speak on Thursday, and then John Bytheway on Friday and then Chad Hymes, the paralized guy from Utah on Sat.  They said it got better each day.  Cody missed Sat. as he was taking the ACT test.  Cody and Vivian did a swing dance for the talent show.  They had some pretty impressive lifts, etc.  It was Elko, East, West, winnemucca, and Ely stakes.  So about 600 people.
 
Sat. morning, we got a call at 4:30 am from Dustine Conk the paper guy and he wanted to know if we would sub a driving route out in Spring Creek for $75.  I thought it might take us a couple hours and that we could recoop some of the cost of our trip and it took us 5.5 hours to do both mom and I.  I was not planning on wasting our entire day.
 
Yesterday was good, I had a good fathers day.  We did not do much, but it was a relaxing day.  The spurs beat the Heat for the NBA finals, which I was happy about as the heat and Labron James are erogant.  The spurs are all really humble.
 
Well we hope you have a great week.  I am watching the world cup soccer and I love it.  It was on 4 years ago when we were shingleing our roof on the house.
 
We love you and pray for you daily.
 
Love
 
Dad
 


Dearest Hermana Nielsen,


Well, we have returned.  We got back last Tues. evening driving back from Las Vegas.  I"ll fill you in on the happenings since
the last letter.  After we wrote to you last mon. morning we packed up all our stuff and tried to fit all our new additions of souvenirs and such into our bags and it was quite a squeeze.  We took all our bags to the rental car and left the condo.  We were supposed to be pay a $50.00 parking fee to park in the designated condo spot, but the ever cost-saving Dad decided that if we didn't park there we could save the money.  So, everyday we parked outside the gated condo place out in the street about 200yds away.  We went to a macadamian nut factory and gift shop and they had all these different kinds of mac nuts you could sample.  There was about 15 different varieties, even Spam flavored and we tried them all (a couple of times).  Then we drove to a really fancy hotel that was right on the beach.  The Jensens had told us this was one of the beaches they go to and that if you went to the front gate and asked for a beach pass you could get in, because they give out 30 passes a day to the public.  It was a nice beach, the waves were not near as big as the other beach on Oahu that we went to.  It was great for paddle boarding which we saw a lot of hotel guests trying out.  We stayed there about and hour and a half.  Amber made a sand castle and I just sat at the edge of the water because the sand was blistering hot! Dad found a canopy (for hotel guests I think) and had a little rest.  We had some time before our plane left so we tried to find the beach were there is a monument to Capt. Cook at the spot he was killed.  We took a drive to a place called Captain Cook, but upon getting there I realized the whole town is called Captain Cook, and some locals told us that you can't drive to the monument that it is a guided tour only accessible by kayack.  It was was time to head back anyway to catch our flight.

We got home and I was so happy to see my babies, even the big one.  He did a good job holding down the fort.  He went shopping and got stuff to make stroganoff on sunday for dinner.  I pictured him pushing his little shopping cart looking like the kid on Home Alone.  He said he was thumping watermelon and squeezing fruit, like a real consummer.
The house was in pretty good shape, but it looked like orphans had been living there for 2 weeks.  Its good to be home, but in church yesterday I could not help think of the last time we were in church was in HI and how they shared so much spirit of aloha with us and it made me cry, I was tearing up all during sac. mtg.  I couldn't help it, I thought how Amber must have felt after leaving all that and how hard it was.  (sniffle, sniffle)

Well, I leave for Girls' Camp tomorrow.  It's Summer's first year, so that will be a lot of fun.
Hope the recipes made sense.  I love you so very much, Mom




No comments:

Post a Comment