Monday, April 27, 2015

Missionary experience

Hola Hermana Nielsen,
 
We think there must be transfers this week as I believe that is what Hermana Bott said in her email.  We had a good week.  It rained alot on Wed thru Sat.  But we need the moisture so that is good.  Elko played Spring Creek on Tuesday and won 5-2 or something like that. So we swept the series with spring creek.  I had my blood work done on Tuesday to test for cholesterol, etc. so I was fasting that day.
 
Mom told you about the good discussion we had in our home.  I think Cody really liked it as well as he can relate to what it will be like for him in 2 months.  The Filippino people are very humble and very sweet like the south americans.  The mom was getting emotional as she feels guilty that she is not doing enough to raise her kids with religion in their lives.  We basically soft set them for baptism on June 6th.  The mom said she would do that and her kids will follow her example.  But the spirit was there and we had 3 Elders teaching.  1 was a zone leader.  The mom prayed in Tagolog and she was very emotional in her prayer as well.  We did not understand much, but it was cool to hear.
 
As mom said, yesterday, was a very full and busy day.  I started with my bishophric meeting at 6 am and was busy all day until about 8:30.  Cody and I took the sacrement to the shut ins and we went home teaching.  Cody had missionary prep, then we had the bishops youth discussion in our home.  And we watched 2 episodes of the district for FHE.  Cody is suppose to watch all those episodes before he goes into the MTC.
 
We love you and hope you have a great week.  Keep working hard.  We know you will finish strongly.
 Love
 Dad




Dearest Hermanita Nielsen,


The weeks are just flying by... there is only about 6 weeks left of school.  I register Adelaide for kindergarten this week.  Life is going to be different next year.  

We had a missionary  moment this past week.   Carly has a friend that has come over and gone to activity days and some ward activities with us, and her family is Filipino.  Its a single mom and 4 daughters.  I pick the youngest 3 up and take them to school, since they live in the West Sage apts. and its on  my way anyway.  I have spoken to the mom, Anna, a few times and this last time she said the Mormon missionaries had come by and they had taught her a lesson.  We quickly arranged for the next lesson to be taught at our home this past Sat. night.  It went well, she is really open, and said she started praying a year ago that she could have answers and help with her family.  All the girls went to church with us the next day, but Anna had to work (Walmart)  they said that they liked it.  The oldest girl, Angel is Summer's age and then Danielle is friends with Carly and then there are two little ones 8 and 5.  They speak Tagalog to each other and its been fun to ask them words. They are all super shy and hardly speak to you at all.  Of course Dad had to share his limited mastery of the language, "Ma baho kili kili mo".  Cody has been learning and teaching us, "the word of the day" in Tagalog.  They stayed for dinner and ran around and played, made messes with Addie and generally had a fun time here.  We made a plate for them to take home to their mom, that she could eat when she got off work.  
We had a bishop's youth fireside here at 6 pm and Pres. Shumway spoke, that was really good.  He talked about missions--the age change , going to the temple, marriage in the temple, and worthiness.  It was really good. Then later that night I picked up Anna and she went to the late night Sacrament Mtg that they do at 8:30pm at the Stk. Center.  It was a full day.  I bet you have a lot like that.
Summer had a  softball game in Wells on thurs. and she pitched.  She did really well, I think she struck out 6 batters.  She needs to keep working on her technique but she got those girls to swing.  They lost, but they hung in there close for a while.  She said her shoulders and arms were really sore the next day.
Cody went on a 3-1 date with some girls,  Becca, Leigha, and Jaylee Hankle.  The school musical this year was Mary Poppins and Kim Bates had the lead as MP, so these girls talked him into going with them if they sprung for the after show treats.  They had alot of fun, they each posted a picture with him with each one on Instagram.  Cody has had a great Senior Year,  free, fun, but focused. Well I hope you have a wonderful week, keep working hard... you have rounded that last curve (metaphorically speaking ) and are heading down the final stretch of track  to the finish line..stay focused and keep your form is what I would always say.  Push hard, leave it all out there.   Love, MomMissionary experience

No comments:

Post a Comment