Hola Elder Nielsen,
I had an extremely busy and stressful week. Classes start tomorrow at the college and all the students want their money, but I have to deal with all the problem students and students that require professional judgement etc. I did not make it home one day for lunch this past week and worked late almost every night until 7 to 8 pm. I also found out that my accounting 202 class is going to happen this semester and I was hoping and planning on not having enough students for the class to go. But I have 11 students and they told me Thursday, it was a go. So I have been scrambling around trying to get every thing ready for that class. I have not taught Acc 202 from this new book we are using so I had to basically start from scratch.
Monday was Martin Luther King day and we all had the day off. I worked around the house trying to get things ready for my busy tax season. I have a bunch of things I need to get done by the end of the month. W-2s, W-3's, year end reporting, etc. In past years I had until the end of February to get all that information to the IRS, but this year they moved the due date up to the end of January. So this next week is going to be a killer for me as well.
We also have continued to receive a bunch more snow. On Friday we got another 8 inches. It has been crazy this year with the snow. And our vehicles are not working too well. The van is parked and can't be driven until we get it fixed. It does not drive well and it rolls backwards in park if it is on any kind of incline. The Trooper, that thing is a disaster in snow. Summer and I were coming home from the basketball game late Friday night and on that hill by the Presbyterian church to our house, there was about six inches of snow on the road and I was in 1st gear, with no gas and not turning the steering wheel and started down the hill and I was doing 360's, I'm not sure what was going on, but it was a good thing no other cars were coming up the hill at that time or there were no cars parked on the side of the road or we would have taken them all out. We were not going fast, but had absolutely no control over where we were going. I think the only wheel that spins on that thing is the back passenger side wheel and it causes me to do 360's to the left. That is the 2nd time this winter it has done that. Then mom has been driving the Suburban these past few weeks and on Saturday, when we were coming home from the bball game, I went to back it up and it sounded funny and I had a hard time backing up and then the "Service 4-wheel drive" light came on. So I am not sure if the 4 wheel drive is working or not. So we need to park it until we get it looked at. So we are left to the truck and bug. The truck has been leaking oil and with it so bitter cold, I have not been using it. So we will have to see if it even starts. Any way we will be glad when all this snow and winter ends. We have about 4-5 feet of snow around out drive way and sidewalks.
We are suppose to get another 8 inches tonight and snow until Tuesday and then it turns bitter cold again, so this snow will never melt.
Elko played Dayton on Friday and South Tahoe on Saturday. Elko swept all the games. Summer did ok, played good defense, but still over thinks every thing instead of just playing. I think that comes with experience though, so she should get there. She has the ability, she needs to just develop her confidence and dribbling ability. South Tahoe boys came into this weekend undefeated and lost to spring creek in OT and Elko beat them by about 15-20. I guess in Spring Creek a few of the best players fouled out and that is how SC won. But is was a very close game in Elko until about mid way through the 3rd quarter. Elko opened it up. Eric had about 33 points. South Tahoe has this kid who recently moved in who is a Junior and he is 6'5" 235 lbs and is being recruited to play football for Nebraska, Michigan and Duke. But he wants to play basketball. He has good hops and very athletic. He had about 30 points himself. He had a couple huge dunks and was knocking down 3 pointers etc. Kyrin Allen was guarding him and did a good job, but the other kid was a lot bigger. So. Tahoe has a good team this year and we will be very lucky if we beat them next time at their place as I remember you always saying the refs were not too good when you played up there. If every thing stays the same and they beat us there, they would win the league. We play Spring Creek this Tuesday. We hope to find a vehicle that will make it over the hill.
We had good meetings today. Cecilia was out of town in Sparks today, but said she wants to come to church with us again next Sunday. So we are excited about that.
Have a great week. I will be happy when I make it through this month. I have a lot to do before the end of the month. Keep working hard, we love you and are happy you are serving the Lord as a Missionary. It sounds like your district is doing well. How many lessons did you and your comp teach last week.
I wish we could send you some of this cold and snow. You would love it since you are sweating all the time.
It looks like Atlanta will be in the super bowl playing the winner of the steelers an the Patriots.
Have a super week.
Love
Dad
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to share another cool missionary experience I had this morning. So there is this lady (Amy) that has worked with me in the financial aid office for over 11 years. She just came up to me and asked me which church I attended. I followed her question with "which church or which building?" as I thought it was obvious to everyone which church I belong to. She said "which building?" So I told her I attend church in the building over by Home Depot. She was not aware of that building.
She then followed up that she and her husband have been talking a lot about it, and they wanted to go attend one of the Mormon churches as we are "all so happy." She said, there has to be something to that religion. Her husband work with President Lewis at Barrick and has for years and she has worked with me for years and they want to find out why we are all so happy all the time. She lives in Ryndon, so she would be in the East stake, Meadow Valley ward, but I told her to let me know when they want to attend and we would attend with them. I also said, I am sure there are missionaries who would love to come to their house and teach them about what we believe as well. She said her husband works this next weekend, so it would probably be the following Sunday.
Pretty neat experience! I hesitate to make religious invitations to those I work with as I do not want to create a " hostile environment", but when they bring it up, that is all the better.
Just wanted to share with everyone while it was fresh in my mind. You never know who is watching and what kind of influence you have on the others around you.
Have a super week. We love you all.
Dad
Dearest Elder Nielsen,
Did I mention we are getting lots of snow? It just keeps coming. We had a heavy storm on Friday--about 5 inches of new snow. I shoveled it and then a couple of hours later it needed to be shoveled again. I have been driving the Suburban, and that has done great in the snow. I go quite slow and I do just fine--no sliding or anything. But now.... there is a problem with the four wheel drive. It popped up in the dash that we needed to : "Service four-wheel drive". So, now Dad doesn't want me to drive it until we can get it looked at. We are supposed to get another 6 inches tonight and I am a little worried about tomorrow's commute to school. I may be driving the bug (thank you Kevin) tomorrow morning and I hope I can get up the hill. I would be happy with a "snow day" tomorrow, we haven't had one yet. We have had 2 delayed starts--they have started all the schools 2 hours late, to let the snow plows catch up on clearing the roads. If we have a snow day, we have to make the day up at the end of the year, but delayed starts do not have to be made up. It's crazy the amount of snow we have had.
On Wednesday Carly, Ads, and I went to see "Moana", the new Disney Princess movie. It takes place in the Pacific Islands. Summer had to miss out because she had practice. It was cute, and the music is good, but I don't think it will be as popular as "Frozen". I got a free movie ticket for donating my blood. There was only one other family in the theater and it was cold in there--quite similar to our house, we just kept our coats on. About half way through the movie I noticed the spotlights were still on and they were kind of distracting. I thought about alerting someone, but I didn't. After the movie was over, I asked a girl if those lights were supposed to be on and she said they had forgot to turn them off, after they had some guys working in there to fix some seats. !!! Kind of annoying.
We had ball games in town this weekend and that was fun. Summer is doing about the same, she just needs to relax and play to win, instead of play to play the plays. We played Dayton and South Tahoe and swept them all both days. It was a good win for the Elko boys. It put them back into 1st place. So. Tahoe was undefeated and we ruined their weekend, because SC beat them by 3 in OT.
We are headed over to the Simons house tonight for a birthday party... their dog Maybelle! Mandy said the kids thought their dog needed to have a birthday party and so Chica and us are going tonight for cake and ice cream. (anything excuse for a party is OK by me. If their fish died and they wanted to have a funeral I'd go for ham and funeral potatoes too!) We are taking her one of our old deer bones. It's all wrapped up and everything--kind of sweet madness!
It's great to hear your new area is doing great, is it because of the sisters you have in your district? keep it up, we love you and hope you have a super week. Love, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment