Dear Elder Nielsen,
I am glad we do not do the ground hog deal in this area as we still have about 1-1.5 feet of snow on the ground. We could not find the ground hogs hole to see if it sees his shadow. It has been very cold again this week. This morning it was -3 at about 6:30 am.
This week was busy but not as crazy as last week. Classes started at the college. My Accounting class starts tomorrow night. On Tuesday, Elko played Spring Creek in SC. We got the kids out of school early and headed over the hill at 2:30 pm. Summer played at 3 pm. She did pretty good. She had 4 points and played quite a bit of time. Her coach likes her defense. She always hustles back and does not seem to get tired like the rest of the girls. Summer's team lost to SC by about 13 points. The starters gave SC about a 7-8 point lead at the beginning of the game and at the start of the 2nd half. The girls coming off the bench played them equally, but could not cut into their lead. All the other Elko teams won. The boy won by about 20 points, Eric had 28 points. Elko girls won too by about 13 points. They were kind of boring games. We got home around 10 pm.
Thursday, I went to Young Men's we did not have any teachers show up, so I watched the BYU girls bball team on BYUTV. I had to meet with a lady needing church assistance and set her up on a budget, and then I had to wait as the Bishop met with her so he would not be alone with one of the opposite sex. I did not get home until after 9 pm.
Summer left early Friday to travel to Truckee and Sparks over the weekend. Summer's team beat Truckee and Sparks did not have a JVs girl team. Both boys and girls varsity teams won both days. Cole had 5 3's on Saturdays game. They went a box and 1 on Eric, so someone else had to step up.
We were trying to take the van to the mechanic to see if they can fix it. We had to use the truck to bull the van out of the ice block it was stuck in, but then the serpentine belt came off and it was bitter cold, so the battery died. When we would put it in drive or reverse, it was making load noises and did not sound good. So I had brother Hiles come over and he said to charge the battery overnight and then put the belt back on and we could drive it to the mechanic's place. It was stuck in front of our driveway. But we had to put bricks in front of all the tires as it rolls frontwards and backwards when in park. I was worried it would roll down the street and take some thing out.
We got up and did the paper route early on Sat. It was bitter cold. I went and got a serpentine belt tool and mom and I worked on it for 2 hours trying to get the belt on. We had to take off the front wheel to get to the belt, but every thing was frozen on the car. We finally got every thing in place except we needed to get the belt about 1 inch higher to get it in place as the belt was frozen and not very pliable. Brother Hiles showed up and in 5 minutes helped us get the it over the top. So we drove it to the shop. It needs a new CV boot on the front passenger side wheel. The shop will look at it and let us know what it will take to fix it.
The rest of the day on Sat. I worked on year end reports for tax clients and W-2s, W-3s etc.
Cecilia was suppose to go to church with us again today, but she texted me at the last minute and said she had some family things come up and could not make it. I had to give a talk on "Ordinances and Covenants" so I prepared for that all morning. Brother Madsen called late Thursday night and asked me to speak. I also had to sub a primary class today. So it was a busy morning. Brother Smith talked with me, as the high councilman who was suppose to talk never showed up. So he was shooting from the hip. He shared the letter you wrote to in in December with us and said he really appreciated our ward family. He really appreciated your letter and you encouraging Cole to serve a mission. He always has enjoyed your friendship. Those were fun times home teaching the Smiths and other families we home taught. I was telling mom this evening, that I love going home teaching. I always end up feeling blessed and edified every time we go. It is a wonderful thing how the Lord blesses you for doing what he asks us to do.
Then we celebrated the Chinese new year and we all spent about 4-5 hours in the kitchen cooking all of mom's Chinese dishes. We had the 3rd ward sisters and the spanish Elders over for dinner.
Mom and I went home teaching, and I went with Brother Simons to give Florence Lane a blessing. She had fallen and hurt herself the night before.
Well that is all for now. We were suppose to have missionary discussion today in our home with Cecilia, but it never materialized. There is always next week. I saw and talked with Landon Howe today at church, he seems to be doing very well. He still has to wear a helmet, but he recognized me and is walking and looking normal.
Keep working hard, we love you and are happy you are serving a mission. Be the example to all the other missionaries.
Have a great week.
Dad
Dearest Elder Nielsen, (1996--year of the rat)
Cock-a-doodle doo! It's the year of the rooster this year. We had our usual Chinese dinner menu today for dinner to celebrate the holiday. Joining us were Sister Martinez and Sister Miner and the Spanish Elders: Jensen and Ramirez. They seemed to all enjoy it very much. After we got home from church the girls and Dad all jumped in and we got everything prepared. Dad even prepped the egg rolls. He learned how to roll them up and Summer fried them up. I love it when we are all in the kitchen making dinner together. I like it even more when we are all in the kitchen cleaning up dinner!
We had a pretty good week. It's still really cold and we got a few more inches of snow last week. It's like we live in Narnia. But, Spring is coming...someday. Adelaide woke up one morning last week and asked groggily,"Is there a delayed start today?' She kind of liked going to school two hours later. Then on thursday, she woke up and didn't feel very well, (or so she said) so, I let her stay home from school. It was obvious by 10 am that she was feeling pretty good. She was reading books to her stuffed animals like she was the teacher. I asked if she wanted to go to school, but she didn't act too enthused. We had a play date planned with the Simons girls for that afternoon and I told her if she didn't attend school that she could not have them over to play. That still did not sway her, so I called Mandy Simons and left a message saying that Adelaide had stayed home sick today and we would have to reschedule the play date. She didn't get the message and when we got home from school they were here waiting. Her girls were already walking up to the door when I broke the news to Mandy-- I almost didn't say anything, but I thought I'd better stick to my guns. She called them back, saying that Adelaide was sick and they couldn't stay. Oh my goodness... little Mackie just burst into tears, it was the saddest thing, but we had them come the next day, so it ended up being Ok. So, Ads had a little hookie-day last week. I told her the next time she wasn't feeling well and didn't want to go to school, she was going to have to produce some vomit, because now I can't always believe she is telling me the truth.
For our basketball report for the week: Elko played Spring Creek on Tues. JV girls lost by 13. Summer had two good cuts in the key for a couple of lay-ups (4pts that game). Girls varsity was closer than it should have been, but we ended up winning and the boys cruised to a win also. This past weekend they traveled to Truckee and Sparks. Summer said there was alot of snow in Truckee--about 2ft on the ground. Girls and Boys won both their games easily, and Cole Smith had 5 three-pointers against Sparks. They were keying on Eric, so other players had to step up.
Carly went to a Deacon/Beehive Etiquette Dinner that the East stake sponsored and invited the wards from the West to attend also. They served sloppy joes (was that supposed to be ironic?) She told us later that they really didn't learn about etiquette, they talked about dating, and then Chip Stone was there and they played the songs that everyone knows the choreography, like Cotton-eyed Joe, etc. So, that when they begin to attend the dances they would already know them. These are 12 year olds! Dating? Seriously?
Summer tried out for All-State Choir. Other kids told her she did well, so we will see.
I hope you have a great week, and that you and Elder Peterson will have great success. Watch those barbed wire fences, you don't want to rip your pants out! Love, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment