Sunday, January 8, 2017

Snowy and Cold!


Elder Nielsen,

This past week has been very cold. -16 some days and with the wind it feels like -30. I don't know what the highs were, but they were very low. One place in Utah was -54. I feel so badly for the homeless in temperatures like these. We go out to do the paper route and we are only out there for an hour, but they have no way to escape the cold.

On Monday we all had it off as it was the day we celebrated the new year. There were 3 or 4 football games on. We just worked around the house here.

Tuesday, we were suppose to play Lowry here, but they did not come due to the weather. They postponed those games until Thursday. I was suppose to go to Pahrump on Wednesday, but with all the weather reports and winter warnings, I decided to stay home, besides I wanted to watch the bball games against Lowry. We were without power for a couple hours on Wed. and for about 3 hours on Thursday. I am not sure what happened, but it is hard to work without power. We did end up playing Lowry on Thursday. Summer did a lot better in her game. She was playing with more confidence and went 1-3 from the field. She hustles well and plays good defense. Elko JV girls lost by about 20. The Lowry team, made free throws and were a good team. Elko's girl varsity team lost to Lowry by about 20 as well. Elko boys varsity killed Lowry by 30+ points. They were almost in the mercy rule by the 2nd quarter.

On Friday, the Elko teams traveled to Fallon and on Sat. to Fernley. The boys beat Fallon Badly. I believe Eric had 28 against Lowry and 29 against Fallon. But the boys lost to Fernley on Sat 42-39. We were up by 4 points with 2 minutes to go and were in our 16 stall game, and Alex Klekas turned the ball over twice. Fernley tied it up, and got the ball back with 16 seconds and Alex fouled a guy shooting a 3-pointer and he made all 3 free throws. That is the 1st time Fernley has ever beaten Elko in bball. And that is the first league game Elko has lost in 42 games. The last time was when Lowry beat us in Winnemucca right after Amber got home off her mission. The Elko girls lost to Fallon and beat Fernley. Summer's team lost both games and she did not have any points. We need to work on her playing more confidently.

Saturday, it was suppose to be snowing and then we were suppose to get freezing rain. It snow a little, but it was still very cold, -2. We worked on house projects and did not got any where on Sat, except for mom went to Camron Steflic's wife's bridal shower in the afternoon.

Today was our fast and testimony meeting, and I had to teach the sunbeams. I had 2 little girls and that was like a circus. I had 1 girl escaping and I was trying to chase 1 and not let the other one out. They were busy girls and would not sit still for a second. I think nursery is easier as they have toys to occupy them. I had nothing to keep their attention and a lesson was not happening. They were cute though. I finally had to try my magic tricks to keep them from running out the door and keep them in the room.

Tonight we go to Adelaide's 8 is great, activity at the stake center. I can't believe she will be baptized this year. We saw Landon Howe in church today. He is walking and seems to be doing better, but has to wear a helmet on his head and they will need to staple his skull back together when all the swelling goes down.

I was reading an church news from a month ago and reading a testimony from Elder Cook. And in that testimony, he said, "I know the Savior's voice. I know the Savior's face." I have been pondering that a lot this past week, and I know that they in reality know the Savior better than we could imagine. They are his special witnesses to the world. You are his representative and witness to the people in the Philippines. Marc Suyematsu always asks me about you and how you are doing. He always says that he really like you a lot that you were a good kid. Tim Meo, Baum, Wes warrick, and colt jorgensen were all at the bball game on Thursday.

We hope you have a great week. We love you and are happy you are serving the Lord as his missionary. Keep working hard.

Love,

Dad


Dearest Elder Nielsen,
 Monday, was the New Year's Day holiday observed, so the kids didn't have school and Dad got to have the day off.  We didn't do much, at least I can't remember anything exciting.  Summer had practice with the Varsity.  Kaaren Ross is now the Varsity coach and she has a daughter that is on JV with Summer and they are good friends.  She told Summer that her mom (the coach) has said good things about her, and that she has been impressed with her effort.  Tuesday, Lowry was scheduled to come over and play, but they cancelled that morning because of the forecast of snow.  It never really stormed, but they rescheduled for thursday instead. Those Lowry girls are always competive and the JV lost by around 20, and the Varsity girls was about the same.  Summer had a little jumper and scored 2 pts.  She plays good defense though and was on the ground scapping for balls.  The boys won easily.  Eric Klekas had 5 threes.

I gave blood this past week.  The Blood Services people were offering a free movie ticket for a donation.  There is a new Disney movie out about a Hawaiian princess.  Its called "Moana" and Adelaide and Carly really want to see it.  So, I gave my blood so we could to the movies.  I asked Dad if he could offer himself up for the cause and he basically said, "NO WAY".

I ran into Randy Jenkins at Albertons and I was asking him about Brandon and he said he is doing wonderful and Randy mentioned something about when he comes home and Elder Jenkins said, "Home?... I am home".  He just really loves the Mexicans and the Native people.

I went to a Bridal shower for Cameron Steflik's fiancee yesterday and she is really cute.  A bit older than him, but they made a cute couple.
The Elko Varsity Boys' league winning streak that began after your team lost that league game to Lowry back in 2014, came to an end last night.  They lost at Fernley by 3 pts.  It sounded like an off game for Elko.  they were double and triple teaming Eric, and he only made one 3 pointer.  They didn't even go out to eat afterwards, but went straight back on the bus.  That must of been a fun ride.

Well, we are super cold here and we have had lots of storms, but we are warm in our hearts, and we are doing quite well.  I look forward to hearing about your week and how you and Elder Peterson are doing.  We are heading over to the stk center now for "Great to Be 8" for Ads and all the kids turning 8 and getting baptized this next year, can you believe it?  She is saying the closing prayer.  

Love you lots, Mom




No comments:

Post a Comment