Hello Elder Nielsen,
Another good fast week. I can't remember much that happened. I had to fly to Las Vegas on Thursday for a meeting on Friday. I got back Friday night at 9:45 pm. The wind was blowing like crazy, so the flights were a little interesting as we were bobbing and weaving around in the air. The passengers actually started clapping when we were able to land safely.
Elko baseball went to State on Thursday. They played Sierra Vista and they won 2-0. They scored their 2 runs in the 1st inning and never scored again. Yocum pitched a complete game and gave up 5 hits and only walked like 2 batters. Then we played Boulder City the next morning. And Elko was winning 4-3 heading into the bottom of the 6th inning and they gave up 3 runs (gave up a 2 or 3 run home run) and we ended up losing 6-4. Yocum and Whitted each hit home runs, but the wind was blowing really hard, so I am sure that help. Fallon was also leading Boulder city in the bottom of the 6th or 7th and then gave up 6 or 7 runs. So Elko had to turn around and play Sierra Vista again and they beat us 8-2 or 7-2. I think the wind was taken out of our sails after losing the 1st game. Had we gone on and won, it would have been very different. I read yesterday that Boulder city beat sierra vista 4-3 for the state championship. Kyron Allen won the high jump again at 6'8" and the Elko boys took 2nd in state behind Desert Pines.
On Saturday, we worked around the house. Our garage storage shelves are starting to pull down from the sheet rock on the left side of the shelves. I don't think we hit any studs as I am not sure there are any in that area. So I was working on that trying to get some chains to hook the bottom of it to and chain it to a stud on the ceiling. I did not get it done as I only bought the parts at about 9:30 sat. evening. So another project to work on.
We had a good Sunday, Summer and I and Sharon were finding names for Summer to do baptisms for after the trek. We found a couple, but are trying to get all the info. we need to get them added. Sharon runs circles around us, and half the time we are not sure where she is looking, but she is very good at that. We got more rain this past week, so that is good.
Keep working hard. We love telling everyone about our missionary. That sounded like a great week, 33 new investigators and 9 investigators in church. How big is that big family you found where the mom had read to Mosiah in 2 days. That sounds like she is very interested and will be a great investigator. Chelsea had a great missionary experience this past week, and we are anxious to find out how that went. I will let her tell you all about it. We love you and are happy that you are serving a mission. In Priesthood meeting this morning, they asked if any one had any missionary experiences and I shared Chelsea's with them. I also shared this quote from Elder Bednar from his May 2008 conference talk that goes along with her experience.
He said "I testify that prayer becomes meaningful as we ask in faith and act. I invite all of us to pray in faith about our divinely given mandate to proclaim the gospel. As we do so, I promise doors will open and we will be blessed to recognize and act upon the opportunities that will be provided." Chelsea's experience was an exact answer to that promise from Elder Bednar.
Perhaps you can share her story and the quote from Bednar with the members in the Philippines to help them find people for you to teach.
Have a super week. Be the example of how a faithful missionary and representative of Christ should be.
We love you,
Dad
Dearest Elder Nielsen,
Well, here it is another week gone by. Things are going fine. We went to the Choralier Concert last monday night. We thought it would be a good family home evening activity. It was a good concert, although I think the best Spring Concert they ever performed was the one when you guys sang "Happy" as the final song. They had gone to Hawaii for their trip, so the show choir was kind of a combo of Beach Boys music and Hukelau stuff. Half the group was in show choir-- they had a lot this year ( See what you inspired) We talked with Pres. Shumway afterwards and of course he wanted an update on Elder Nielsen, and we told him about how many new investos you found last week and how many came to church and he was amazed. He thought that was a lot different numbers than the Reno Mission, but it still takes work on your part and he recognized that. He and Dad commented on how some of those "dancers" in show choir were a little stiff and Dad said that they reminded him of you-- all smiles and having the best time up there, but not a natural groover. Ha ha. It's kind of weird to think Summer will be up there next time. I went with her to the New Choralier-Parent Mtg. on Wed.night. We made sure we were on time. Ms. Rogers did start right at 6pm and she said she is a stickler for time and that some of her students still have nightmares about it. She said one time she was teaching 6th grade band and one of the students who was late literally did the Army crawl to her seat, so she wouldn't be seen walking in late. (You should have thought of that Chelsea!) The group will do a small trip next year either to San Fran for a festival of Gold, or possible to Hollywood for a regular choir fest. taking place at Universal Studios. Everyone liked that idea because it has a "Harry Potter World". Let the fund raising begin...Uhhhg! Summer has been saving her paper route money so that is good.
I had to go to a Stk. RS meeting right after that and I had started to come down with a cold the day before and so by the time I was at that meeting and it went long, like almost until 9pm and I was dying. My head hurt and I was dripping from my nose (not sweat) as soon as the prayer was over (I had to give it or I may have left sooner) I was "Bam" out the door. I didn't even stay for refreshments (although I did take a plate home with me, duh).
Then the next night Summer had the Adobe Middle School awards night. We knew she was going to be recognized for Student Council, but she also got the Academic Excellence Award for 8th grade girl in Common Core Math given by Mrs. Kellum. We were both kind of caught off guard by that-- I was nearly asleep up in the stands--well, not really but I was holding my still aching head and wanting it to all end soon, when they said her name, and I hadn't really paid attention to what was said about "this student". I did hear her say that "they" (a boy got one too) were really helpful, respectful and didn't whine. Gotta love those Non-whiners. She wasn't awarded the Presidential Physical Award, afterwards I asked her why not and she said, she couldn't get the flexibility. That was the hardest part for you too, wasn't it? But, you worked on that and improved right?
Elko Baseball went just about as far as you guys did last year. They beat Sierra Vista on Thurs. 2-0, but then lost to Boulder City the next day 6-3, and then had to play Sierra Vista again and lost to them--Season over. But, they did really well, this year. It's been rainy and cool again this week, and as we were driving home from church today we looked out over the hills and they are just green as green and the Rubies are white with snow, it was a beautiful contrast. I am finally feeling better and just about kicked this cold--the one in my head. It is always wonderful to hear from you and it is the highlight of my week, although posts of David are right up there too. We are going to go visit him (and Chelsea and Brian) in June after the trek, and I think Chelsea is more excited for that than Christmas. Keep being a wonderful missionary! Love Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment