Hello Elder Nielsen,
On Tuesday I received a call that I have been dreading for the past year and a half. I got a call from the Federal Department of Education saying they will be at GBC the week of June 20th for 12 hours a day. This is the 1st time GBC has ever been audited by the feds. The college of Southern Nevada in Vegas got audited about 3 years ago and were fined $4 million dollars. So I am hoping we don't have any fines for non-compliance with the federal regulations and that I still have a job after all this is said and done. I don't think the administration at GBC are taking it as seriously as they should. This is a huge deal, and there are 1000's of regulations that they require us to be adhering to to receive federal aid. I have not slept well since I got that call. We are suppose to have policies and procedures for all our processes and other federal requirements and I have been talking about writing them for the past few years as I had this feeling that we would be audited. Any way, I have been working 12 hour days writing policies and procedures this past week. I was suppose to have the day off on Friday and I worked 10 hours and about 4-5 on Saturday. The week they are going to be here was the week we were planning on going to visit Chelsea and Brian. So cancel that trip!
I guess the scripture is true, if ye are prepared ye shall not fear. Well I am not prepared. There is not a lot we can do at this point, but get our policies written and try to check every thing to see if we find the mistakes. But at this point, it is what it is and we can't change too much before they are here. They have a list a mile long that they want us to send them by this Friday and the rest should be waiting for them when they get here on the 20th.
Summer had her concert at Adobe on Monday. She was suppose to be there at 5:30 and we got her there 5 minutes late, and Ms Rogers, made some comment about people are up for a rude awakening when they get to choraliers. I know Chelsea knows how she feels when she is waiting for us to take her to these events. She was ready and waiting for me to get home from work.
On Thursday night I took the teachers and priests up north 5th street to shoot 22's and the shot gun. A few of them had never shot before that day. But by the time we got up there we only had about 1/2 hour to shoot.
Kyle Whitted was named the MVP in the North and him and Benton made 1st team all state and 1st team all north. Their number were in the top 3 for almost every category. I think Yocum, RJ, and Baum made 1st team all North.
Well it is Memorial Day weekend and I sure wish I could enjoy it, but with this audit over my head, that is all I can think about. I will be working tomorrow as well. Erin and Landon drove down on Friday. So it was good to have them here. They will go back tomorrow. We skyped with Chelsea and Brian today and David sure is a cute little guy and very active.
We got a call from President Esplin this morning wondering if we wanted to go on Trek to help with the food committee. I would love to, but with the audit, I am pretty sure I can't. So mom might go by herself and I will stay home and do the paper route and take care of Chica. If they had asked us last Sunday, I would have said yes for sure. We both love that and would love to go.
The Warriors and Oklahoma are tied 3-3 in western finals. I think Cavaliers and Toronto are close to being tied as well for the Eastern, but we have not watched 1 game as they are all on ESPN or TNT or TBS.
Well we are excited to here where you will end up with this transfer. We love you and are so happy you are serving a mission. Keep working hard and enjoy every minute to have as His special representative. The Gospel is true. It is all worth it. Invite everyone you see to come unto Christ, I am sure there are many out there waiting. We had Kayla Carpenter come over Friday night to visit Erin and She was here until after midnight. But it was a great visit. I did not realize what a hard life she has had since the 6th grade. Her mom is in and out of jail, doing drugs, etc. Her dad has the twins trying to keep them with the necessities of life. She looked really good and being in Westpoint, she has matured a great deal and really has had time to focus and think about life. We felt like she is very prime to receive the gospel in her life. We fasted for her today. Hopefully she can see our example and the example of the Stetlers, who she is really close to and want to have that kind of family life. Erin was going through the relative search today in church and we found out that Elder Stevenson the new apostle is like our 4th cousin from my mom's side. Kind of interesting, no??
Have a super week. We pray for you always.
Love,
DAD
Dearest Elder Nielsen,
I am anxious to hear about transfers... Where you are now serving and who is your companion. I am sure you will fill us in. Today is Memorial Day, you may not have remembered that. Erin and Landon came down for the weekend, so that has been fun. They stayed at the Welches, since they had an extra bed, and then they just split time between the two families. Erin cut the little girls' hair, just a good trim on all of them, and also Dad got his hair cut and he is very happy with it because it is shorter than how I usually cut it. Erin went through her storage tubs of the clothes she stored from before her mission. I think Amber was right; you store all of these clothes from high school for 2 years and then when you get back, you go through them and there is nothing you really want to wear anymore. She had one whole tub full of t-shirts and sweatshirts from HS, she kept a few of her favs, but the rest we are going to make into a t-shirt quilt. She has just about as many as you do. It was great to see them. They came over for dinner on Sunday and at Erin's request we had Chinese Coleslaw. I can tell that Landon is very patient.
Monday, Summer had her Adobe MS choir concert. She was on the top riser and when it came to the dancing around stuff, she didn't move around a whole lot because she said she was afraid she might fall off the back. the Choraliers came and joined them for the two final "fun" numbers. I think Ms. Rogers likes to include them so she has someone to put away the chairs at the end. It is confirmed that they will be going to Hollywood for their trip next Spring. Summer is pretty excited.
It was my turn to host Book Club this past thursday. I made a recipe that Chelsea recommended to me -- Steak mango Salad. Everyone wanted the recipe. It all went pretty well. I was scrambling there just before they arrived, but it all turned out fine. ( I put all the kitchen paper clutter in on my bed)
Trek is the week right after school gets out and we were resigned to the fact that we weren't going this year, but then Pres. Esplin called on Sunday and said they had a couple that was going to be on the food committee drop out, because their daughter had to have knee surgery and they felt that they should be home with her. We were so excited, except that GBC is getting audited the week after trek and Dad is kind of freaked out about it because it's his department that is getting the review. We thought maybe we could make it work, but that was not reality. Then we thought perhaps, just I could go, but it looks like he is going to need my support at home so I am going to have to be home during that stressful week, so that Dad doesn't have to worry about Addie beating up on Carly --they being home alone and all. ah...Poo!
Well, I hope you have a great time in this new area-- more people and adventures await! I know you are doing wonderful things, keep it up!
Love, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment