Monday, October 8, 2012

Mom's facinatingly fun family letter

Aloha Sister Nielsen,
 
Well, you better have a good excuse for not writing last week.  We went all week waiting for your letter, and it never came.  I did not hear of any hurricanes or Tsunamis last week in your area.  But we will be glad to hear from you this week.  Adelaide has been potty trained since last Monday.  She has not had a single accident.  Which is great.  We all knew she could do it when she wanted to do it.  Yesterday between sessions of conference, mom said we better check on Adelaide.  She was outside and had locked herself in the dog pen and was trying to climb out.  When I went out there, she was sitting on top of the chain link with one leg on each side and was getting teary eyed.  She said, that was scarry.  I guess it scarred her a bit.  The fence is 6 feet high.
 
Sara, Charlene's daughter had twin girls on Charlene's birthday. Oct. 1st.  So that is nice, but I guess they are not breathing or eating on their own yet.
 
Grandma Nielsen is doing well, but she has high blood pressure all the time she does not feel well.  Her blood pressure is 190 over 107 and that is bad.  But it gives her a head ache and makes her hot and she said she can't think very well.
 
I am still working on taxes.  I have until next Monday to get them all out.  I will be glad to get that worry off my mind.  Then Cody and I can go deer hunting.  Hernold had a big horn sheep tag that opens next Monday, but I have to teach my class that night.  Perhaps I could join him on Tuesday to pay him back for all his help with you kids.
 
The weather has been nice here still, but it is starting to get frosty in the mornings.  I love the fall weather.  Cool at nights and warm during the day.
 
We were wondering if you got transferred last week.  I hope all your investigators are doing well and that they were able to listen to conference.
 
We loved conference and we are excited about the new missionary ages.  That means Erin could be on a mission before you get home and Cody could be leaving 4 months after you get home.  Pretty crazy, but fun and exciting times.  The church needs more missionaries and I think this will help get many more sister missionaries.
 
Well we hope to hear from you today.  We look forward to your emails, and remember it is a misison rule to write your family every week.
 
We love you and pray for your success continually.  I hope you have a great day and a super week.  By listening to conference, it always makes me want to be a better person and live a better life.  The gospel is the greatest thing on this earth and by living it, we can find true happiness. 
 
Love Dad



Dear Sis. Nielsen,

A week without receiving an e-mail from my aloha girl is like going to the freezer and finding someone ate all the ice cream--- disappointing!  We had all kinds of theories as to what could be the reason, we thought, 'was she transferred?, maybe there was a Hawaiian holiday and the library was closed, or the computers were down, or perhaps there was a hurricane!'  So, what's the scoop?  Your e-mail today was from last week.  So, you're still one down.  

What did you think of conference?  Is there a lot of buzz about the new missionary age change?  We watched the press conference on ksl tv after the session.  Pres. Holland addressed the news media and went into a bit more detail and answered questions. He said only the 1st pres. and Quorum of the 12 knew about the announcement--Not mission presidents, mtc staff, or the 70's.  He said he hoped this will encourage more sisters to go on missions because they are"shockingly successful".  I thought, ' I've got one of those out.'  I think it is so wise to get young men right out into the mission field and not even mess with the Preemie college year.  Often times it ends up being a waste, because they mess around and don't take school seriously.  It also eliminates the possibility of moral mess ups when they're not under the watchful eye of parents.

_____ I just talked to Dad he said he got both E-mails today, so now you probably will  not get this today.  Oh well, two scoops next week.______________

I was in Honks a few days ago and who should check me out at the register????????????? Tiffani !  I was surprised that she was working there.  What happened with the P.T. job she usually has?  She looked different to me.  Her hair was longer and pulled in a ponytail, but that wasn't really it.  She looked so much more relaxed than I've ever seen her.  And her ring is beautiful.  I sent her mom  an e-mail asking if there was anything I could do to help.  I told her we'd take care of getting a cardboard cutout of you, so start posing--full length,  wearing something cute and smiling of course!  Get on it theres not much time.
She  responded and invited Erin and I to her bridal shower.  she also said their family is very grateful to you.

Dad told you Addie's potty trained-- like you!  Is that a missionary term? Do enlighten us.

I was watching studiio 5 last week and they had a dietitan on there and she named off the 10 worst things you  can feed your kids.  I thought you'd be interested in hearing.
starting at 

#10 Top Raman-- too much fat, 14 grams!
 #9 Pop Tarts
 #8 Pot pies -too much fat and sodium
 #7 Sunny D juice--not really juice, water and high fructose corn syrup
 #6 Squeezy cheese, the kind you squirt on a cracker or directly in your mouth.
 #5 Hagen Daaz ice cream --too rich with all that cream and mix ins
 #4 Sugary Cereal
 #3 regular soda pop-- too much sugar
 #2 Lunchables
 #1 no surprise....... Energy drinks!--loaded with caffiene
I was feelin' like such a good mom because I rarely, (somethings -never) buy any of that stuff.
As a matter of fact I made whole wheat rolls on Sunday, but they never get very well raised because the dough is so heavy.  they were described as very dense.  Even Elder Sanft got in on it, he said they were like a hockey puck, more like a billiard ball I said.  Elder Sanft said they carve coconuts in HI instead of pumpkins.  He was telling us a story about when Elder Holland came to speak at the MTC and he spoke on obedience.  He asked if any of them had ever fallen asleep during personal study time to stand up.  Then he said if you've ever gone to bed after curfew stand up, if you've ever overslept stand up.  After a few more questions nearly everyone was standing.  Then he proceeded to fully chasten them, " You rob God, How so you expect to be his servants when you disobey" and so on.    Ouch!  
Dad caught a pan of oil on fire when he was heating it up to make popcorn.  the flames were a foot above the pan, we looked like a bunch of Keystone Cops running ,bumping into each other trying to get the door open.  He threw it out onto the lawn and it darn well burned my grass!  The fire alarm went off, and Erin and Cody came running out to see what the comotion was all about.  I think we discovered a new way to call them out for scriptures :)
Love you tons, Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment