Monday, October 29, 2012

Hello from Elko

Hello Sister Nielsen,
 
It was great to get your email last week and to hear how well you and your comp. are doing.  18 lessons, 11 w/ members and 8 investigators in church, that is awesome!!!!!  Keep up the great work.  Elder Sanft said, 8 investigators in church in Hawaii is awesome.  You two will be setting the bar for others to follow if you continue.  I hope the 10 year old boy was able to get baptized and if not last week, then this week.  Elder Sanft got transferred yesterday on an emergency transfer.  He was made a zone leader in Sparks and he has only been out 10 months.  He came by the house at 9:30 Friday night to say good bye as Cody and I were out deer hunting.  Friday was Nevada day and the ward had their harvest festival so the girls and mom were in goofy costumes, Cody was in the shower and he got out and had his bath robe on and I was all beat up and bloody from the deer hunt.  I am sure we looked like the Adams family or a bunch of wackos.  His family will not know what to think about us.  Erin's soccer team beat Spring Creek last week, and they start regionals this week here in Elko.  They will be ranked #1 going into regionals.  Codys JV team went undefeated again this year in football and all 3 teams beat Spring Creek in Football on Thursday.  So that was good.
 
On Friday, Cody, Clancy and I went deer hunting up in the Ruby Mountains.  We went on the back side of the mountain from Ruby valley.  We hiked and hunted all day long.  It snowed the previous 2 days here and on Thurs. the high was in the low 40's and low was around 13 degrees.  So on Friday, we were seeing deer all over the mountain. We would go after a couple of bucks and then see more and go after them.  Well we had hiked a long ways back in there almost to the top (I think about at least 6 miles).  I shot me a 3x4 deer about 3:15 pm, and I told Cody and Clancy to go try and get Cody's deer but to be back by 5:00 as it starts to get dark at 6:00 while I take care of my buck.  I don't know if I told you, but a week ago thursday, I got hit by an elbow and I think I broke my ribs.  I have been in alot of pain.  But my buck had a huge body and I could not even hardly budge him with my ribs.  But I heard Cody shooting and he was getting further and further away every time he shot.  The last shots were about 1.5 miles away and it was 5:20.  Mom had made us a lunch but we left it in the truck.  So I was thinking, they do not have any food or water, and I am going to have to go look for them. I did not want to climb the mtn which they went over as it was straight up.  Any way eventually I saw them coming back over the hill and Cody had shot a real nice 4x4 , but it was about a 700 yard shot according to cody and they did not have time to go look at it.  He said they watched it for 20 minutes and it was still alive but could not move.  So they came back to me.  Any way, we took my hind quarters and packed it back to the truck and decided to come back and pack the rest out on Sat.  We did not get back to the truck until about 8:00 and we were starving.  So we got home about 9:30 and we were beat.  Clancy decided after all that hiking that he was busy on Sat. and could not help us pack it out, so we recruited Erin as our "pack mule".
 
So Sat morning, we do the same thing, eat a bowl of cereal and head out to pack out our deer.  Mom made us a lunch and we left it at home.  So day 2 on the mountain hiking through snow up to our waist, no food, and we are tired.  Erin said, this is alot better than the trek, as we were starving, snow up to our waist, wind blowing, Erins and Codys feet and toes were frozen and they were complaining the entire time.  This is more like what the pioneers went through.  Any way we got them back down but we were hiking and packing for 10 hours.  Erin said, I should count this as my 10 hour service project.
 
Every muscle in my body hurt on Sunday.  We were glad for a day of rest.
 
Well I better let you go for now.  We love you and pray for you daily.  Erin called mom on the phone last Friday from her dance and Adelaide answered it and she gave the phone to Mom and mom asked who is it?  And Adelaide said, I think it is Amber Lee.  So she still remembers your voice as you two sound alot alike.  We got a good laugh over that.
 
I hope you have a super week with lots of success.  We listened to Hollands conf talk again last night for FHE and we will have to review alma 5 and 6 and give you our report.
 
Dad
 
Every thing else is going well.




Dear Sis. Nielsen,
     I'm so happy you got the package! and that you are enjoying the efy cd.  My favorite song on there is "My duty to God", I thought when I first saw the title that it was for the young men to relate to, but the more I listened to it, I realized we all have a duty to God-- to do missionary work, to raise a righteous posterity, temple/ family history work, and on and on.  I had always thought of Duty to God as a program, a pamphlet basically.  Now I see it as action-- a commitment and an attitude towards living life and serving.  I'm probably told you that before, sorry, I realize that I repeat myself sometimes.
     We had Erin's soccer team over for a team dinner last wed. night.  There are 14 players on varsity, plus they brought up 7 more from JV to play up since their season is over.  So potentially we could have had 21 girls for dinner!  I made Cafe Rio because it makes so much.  Things were going along fine according to schedule, until Erin calls an hour before the intended dinner time and informs me, "Coach ended practice early because it was so cold, and everyone's coming over now."  WHAT?  So we had to jump into hyperdrive and get things ready. like the house, but it still took the same amount of time because I had planned to have it ready at 6:30. Erin made hot chocolate and they hung around and talked while we finished up.  We borrowed a long table and put it up in the family room to seat everyone.  Brittany Gonzales helped finish the Tres Leches cake.  When it came time to eat, I offered the blessing on the food, when I went to close in the name of Jesus Christ I felt this rush of warmth flood my upper body.  I'm not sure if that was a burning bosom, or me just getting a heat flash from being self conscience.  We always pray that someone will feel something in our home, and that someday they'll remember that feeling. Only 15 or so came.  They seem to like it.
     On fri. it was Nevada Day so there was no school.  We went to the parade.  Summer was actually in it.  She got to sit on the 4-H float.  She joined 4-H at Flagview.  It's not the same as with the animals and stuff, it's more of a mentoring program for kids and adults.  They so alot of fun family activities to help build relationships for the kids.  It's free, so why not?  
    Our stove is going bonkers.  I had to make cupcakes for the ward harvest festival.  the Beehives were in charge of the cupcake walk.  The first batch turned out OK but the next one the broiler was on and burned the tops and the rest was still gooey.  I thought maybe I accidentally turned on the broiler when I'd canceled the timer.  But when I put in the next batch it did the same thing.  Then it wouldn't turn off.  I had to pull the plug.  Even when I turn on the burners the broiler comes on and won't turn of unless I unplug it.  I think we'll be getting a new stove. It's 18 years old, and one of the burners doesn't work.
     The ward harvest fest. was fun. Carly went as an Egyptian princess, Addie was Rapunzel,  she wore Carly's last year's costume.  Summer was the Bride of Frankenstien, she looked more like a Zombie though.  We ratted and sprayed her hair black, put while make-up on and black around the eyes.  She always likes to be something scary while Carly is always something beautiful.  Erin was Cosmo the cougar mascot.  She dug out the Winnie the Pooh costume that Chelsea wore in the 3rd grade.  She actually got it on her body, the legs came up to her calves, the problem was the crotch  gave her a very uncomfortable weggie.  She opted for just the head thing and the foot coverings with a BYU jersey.
     Elder Sanft was emergency transferred to Sparks to be a zone leader.  He took the greyhound bus all by himself.  He wanted a picture before he left of the family.  Dad had just gotten back from hunting,  so you know what he looked like, Cody was told to interupt his shower so he came out wet and in his robe.  I looked like a Nevada Madame in my black dress that I had dressed up as a witch for the activity.  Summer still had crazy hair.  She'd taken off her make-up, but she looked more strange with it off, because now she didn't look like she was dressed up, she just looked like a wierdo-girl.  He thought it was funny and laughed at our Nielsen Family portrait.  He's been out 8 mos.
     We have new curriculum in YW.  No longer do we use those white manuals 1,2,3.  It's totally by the spirit.  Kind of like how Preach my gospel replaced the scripted discussions.  We have a topic for the month and a list of resources from The Magazines and conference talks, and all the great on-line video clips. How we teach it is totally up to the teacher and how she feels it should go as directed through prayer and inspiration.  We are all really excite about this approach, those lessons got a bit cheesy sometimes.
     I lost your password on how to pay your cc bill at Well Fargo.  Could you tell me again?  You aren't allowed to do that on Pday?
Carly wanted me to remind you to look for Hawaiian dresses for the girls.  I"ll put $ in your account for such things, and also look for a nativity depicting a Hawaiian theme.  It's Creche time here soon.  I want one and I want you to get one for yourself.
One more thing --What's your favorite scripture?  I inquired about getting a missionary plaque for you in the foyer, so we'll need a picture too.
We bragged about your awesome week.  the Elders couldn't believe it.  They said you must be being blessed for your obedience.  Keep it up you amazing lady!
I love you, Mom
PS we got your box.  the mac nuts were great, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment