Monday, December 29, 2014

Merry Christmas 2014

 Hermana Nielsen,

 
It was great to see and talk to you on Christmas day.  You look great and appear to be doing well.  We have had a good time reflecting on the diarea conversations.  I hope Hermana Bott was not too embarrassed about you sharing her moments of inconvience.  We had a good Christmas.  We stayed at home and just enjoyed the company of our family. 
 
On Friday, since this will be cody's last Christmas at home for 2 years, he got to pick what he wanted to do.  I took the day off work and we drove up Mountain City Hwy to go sledding and rabbit hunting.  There was not alot a snow, in the mountains.  We turned off on the dirt road that goes to Dorsey reservoir and there were a few hills with snow on, but mom thought it was too steep and dangerous for the kids to go sledding.  So Cody and Chica went for a walk to hunt rabbits.  He shot a cottontail, and was waiting for Chica to go retrieve it and she ran right pass it, and the rabbit ran into its hole.  But it was fun to get out and see some country.
 
On Saturday, my family had a family party at 6 pm, so we left about 10:30 am and drove over there and went to Costco, so Cody could pick out some glasses.  He has contacts, but he says they bug his eyes.  So we shopped around there for a while.  The price of gas there was $1.91 which is the lowest I have seen prices since the mid 1990's.  We had a good get together.  Sharon and Brian had gone to Israel, Egypt and Jordan for 18 days, and they showed us their pictures.  It was neat to see all those sites where the Savior did all his miracles, etc.  Brian had 2 tickets to the Jazz game, so he gave them to Cody and Joe and they went to that instead of the party.  They were on the 12th row, so really good seats. We stayed at Sharon's and Brians that night and Sister Teddy Wright came up to see Amber and they talked until 3:30 am. They seem to have forgotten the missionary time frames.
 
We got up early and came back to Elko for Church.  The Bishop and brother Simons were gone and I was the lone ranger up there.  It was missionary mom sunday and Mom talked about you and we heard from Sister Olsen and Sister Talbot.  Alex comes home in 3 months.  Brendon Smith's mom emailed me a letter note from him that I read.  It was a good meeting, one that I always enjoy.  It snowed about 3-4 inches yesterday, so all the roads are slick and every thing is covered with snow.
 
I can't believe where this year has gone.  The years seem to go by quicker and quicker.  We are so thankful for our wonderful family.  Mom and I comment all the time about the great kids we have.  We are thankful you are serving a mission.  We are blessed as a family almost as much as you are as a missionary.  We love to have missionaries out from our family.
 
On Christmas eve, I had to go down to the church to cut a check for a needy family in our ward, and so, Cody, Amber, Summer and I played a little bball while we were there.  I had to work with cody on his freethrows.  He went 1 for 8 the last 3 games.  They lost on Monday and won there game on Tuesday.  So they went 2 and 2 in the tourney.  The 2 games they lost were by 3 and 4 points, but they were leading in both those games almost the entire game.  Cody had 7 or 8 points 1 game and 4 the other.  If he could have made his freethrows, he would have been in double digits.  It was good to get him home.  It was like a 12 hour bus drive.  He got home at 4:00 am on the 24th of Dec.
 
Well Have a super week. We love you and pray for you always.  We are happy that you and Hermana Bott get along so well.  Where is she going to go to school when she gets home?
 Have a super week and work hard!
 Dad




Dearest Hermanita Nielsen,


Well, how was your Christmas besides talking to us?  Ours was pretty typical-- woke up about 7 am, everyone was checking out their stockings, and then we watched the Nativity and read Luke 2 in the scriptures, had prayer, then dug into the presents.  Adelaide was excited, but not too crazy.  Amber was given Addie's name for her person to give a gift to, and she had heard them complaining that they didn't have a boy Barbie, so she got her a brown island looking guy with swim trunks on and sunglasses.  Amber wanted to get her reaction when she opened it, so she recorded her on her phone and her response was funny.  She said, "Seriously?, a Ken doll?  This is worst gift ever!"  Amber said, "I thought you wanted a boy doll", and she said in a little whisper behind her hand,"I did, but not one with no clothes on and dark skin!"  Obviously, she needs some culture.  I think we told you this story when we skyped, but I thought I should record it here for posterity.  The rest of the day we just hung out and I think I actually took a nap.  The next day we did some more hanging out and then Cody wanted us all to go rabbit hunting and take Chica.  So, we drove up Mnt. City Hwy and pulled off on the road to Dorsey Reservoir, parked the Suburban and walked up a road looking for a good sled hill and bunnies to pop off.  There wasn't enough snow to cover all the sagebrush, so sledding wasn't really an option.  We saw some bunnies, but they always took off before we could even prepare to shoot.  Chica loved it, we got a picture with the girls in the sled, and walked off some calories from eating goodies, so it was a good time.
We went to Utah on Sat. morning after we got the papers out.  They have a new Costco on Bangerter Hyw. right at the turn off to go to Grandma's house on 104th.  It is so much more convenient for us.  We took Cody in there and he picked out some frames so he can have a pair of glasses to wear.  He doesn't wear his contacts regularly, because they kind of bug him.  We had a family party that night at a church and had fun eating, playing bball, games and looking a pictures from Sharon and Brian's recent trip to Israel, Egypt and Jordan.  Cody and Joe got to go to a Jazz game that night instead.  Brian had gotten tickets from his work and no wanted to use them, so they thought maybe Cody and Joe would enjoy that.  They were great seats on the 12th row.  They rode the Trax train downtown and back.  After the party, we went to Sharon's house.  They opened up the whole basement bedrooms to us to stay there that night.  Charlene's daughter Sarah, her husband and their twin two year olds are living there in Grams house with her for a few months, so it was nice to stay at Sharons.  Amber called her missionary mom, Teddy and she came and they chatted till the early morning hours.  They are good friends, and we love Teddy too.  You will be like that with Hermana Bott.
I spoke yesterday in Sac. Mtg, for the Missionary Mom Sacrament Mtg. along with Sis. Talbot and Sis. Olsen.  The Smiths were out of town, so she had a letter read by Dad for her and Sis. Harris was gone too, but she didn't have anyone read anything from Gordon.  Alex comes home in 3 months!  I shared some of your best stories--pick pocket, Family History, rain stopping miracle and some others.
We got 4 in.  of snow over the weekend and its pretty cold.  The girls want to go sledding at Angel park today.  It was wonderful to see you and talk on Christmas.  I  hope you had a good Christmas.  I love to hear  your testimony and that your love what you are doing.   I love you my dear, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment