Aloha Sister Nielsen,
Well this has been a very busy week for us. Chelsea told me to write and tell you everything and that could be part of my life history. I guess dad was progressing along about the same as always (being in very good moods but not able to get out of bed unless the nurses lifted him out of bed and put him in a chair) until Thursday morning and when the nurses went in to sit him up to eat breakfast, he throw up. But the nurse still was able to hand feed him a greek yogurt which is suppose to be very healthy. After he ate his yogurt, he spent most of Thursday in a non responsive state, as if he were sleeping. He would wake up every now and then but could not speak much. Mom told him she loved him and dad mouthed back that he loved her. I guess he started doing the "death rattle" which is what they do before they die. It is when they can't swallow their saliva and breathing through their mouth, the saliva rattles in their throat. So the nurse told mom that dad was dying. She said he might last a day, 2 days, a week or 2 weeks, but he is definitely dieing. Well, mom had a very hard time with that. She had been praying with all her might for a miracle to happen with dad like it happened to her. The week before Aug. 27th when classes start at GBC is the busiest week of the year for me. So I was running around like crazy at work and mom left me a message on Thursday afternoon and was very distraught. She said, Scott, this is your mom, give me a call, your dad is dying. But it was very hard for her to get through the message. But I did not have time to listen to my messages until about 6:30 pm. So after I listened to the message, I called mom to see how she was doing. She was better in the evening, but I told her she needed a blessing. She said there was no one there to give her a blessing as all my siblings were at the care center with dad. Jedd called me after I talked to mom to see if I had heard about dad, I told him yes, but that mom needed a blessing. Dad's condition was not going to change much, but mom needed a priesthood blessing of comfort. So my brothers went over and gave mom a blessing. DeeRay acted as voice in the blessing and blessed mom with comfort and understanding even unto visions. He also said that Heavenly Father would remember her as he does the Lilies of the field. But mom said after she got that blessing, she felt great. She was a rock the entire week. I did not see her shed 1 tear. So I asked Sharon and mom if they thought I should go over to Salt Lake on Thursday with Friday going to be a crazy day in the office. They said there was not much I could do there, but they would keep me posted. So Friday afternoon, Sharon and Jedd called me and said you better come quickly, dad might not last very much longer, but they thought he would not pass until his entire family was with him. So I worked until 5:00 pm on Friday and I drove to South Jordan, directly to the care center where dad was staying. They told me they would all be waiting for me there at the care center. I went alone over to South Jordan as, the kids would start school on the 27th of aug. and I did not know how long I would be over there.
So I had 3.5 hours to think and ponder and pray and prepare myself as I drove over to Utah. I knew dad would not die until I got there, I had a very strong feeling about that. I took the camery and was listening to the cd that you left in there which you were using after you were set apart as a missionary. After you left and I got in the car and heard that could spiritual EFY music, I thought, I am not going to take that cd out the entire time you are on your mission. We can all live like missionaries for a year and a half, at least when we are in the camery. So I was able to ponder alot about dad and spiritual things. I thought to myself we are probably going to have a family prayer together after I got there and that I would be the one to offer that prayer. So I thought what I might and should say in that prayer.
So I got over to the care center about 10:10 pm Utah time. I walked into the room and all my brothers and sisters and their spouses were there with Mom. I felt such an overwhelming amount of love for all my siblings and their spouses and for mom. There are times in life when the spirit is very strong, I feel over come for love for others. I know it is charity, the true love of Christ. I felt it in Argentina on my mission towards the Argentineans, when I was called as Branch President of the Spanish Branch towards the members of the branch, and now towards my family members. I know the veil was very thin that evening with dad being so close to passing, so I know we were surrounded by spirits: I'm sure Cleon was there, Grandpa and Grandma Nielsen and many others who had preceded dad in death.
They told me to go and try to wake dad up so that he could know that I was there. So I tried talking to him. I said, "Dad, this is Scott, I just got over here from Elko. Do you want to wake up and see me?" Darhl was trying to get him to wake up to see me. They all wanted me to be able to say my goodbye's, but I said my goodbyes everytime I left dad. The last time being when we visited with dad before we took you to the MTC Amber on Aug. 1st. So I was fine with dad not waking up. But I could sense that Dad knew I was there. He closed his mouth when I was talking. I knew he knew I was there and told my sibling that. I like to describe it as when you are in a deep deep sleep with rapid eye movement and someone is trying to wake you up. You hear them, and know they are there, but it is hard to open your eyes. Mom said he had mouthed to her that afternoon that he loved her. Which were the last words he spoke with this lips. I think that is a tender mercy as well.
We sat around and visited for about an hour and a half. Just like old times on Sunday evenings when the families got together at mom and dads for popcorn. We were talking and telling stories. I told them all about you and your stories and how you were doing. It was a very spiritual time. Darhl said he thought we should have a family prayer and asked mom who she wanted to offer it. Mom said, Darhl you are the oldest son, you can decided. So Darhl asked me if I would offer that prayer. I said, I knew this was coming and we all knelt down in Dad's room. They had just cleaned the carpets so the carpet was still wet and some asked if we should stand or kneel. I said, I know Dad would want us to kneel. So we got our knees a little wet. I knelt down next to dad and mom so they could hear me. I felt very strongly in the prayer that dad would not last much longer here on this earth. So after the prayer, we visited for about another 1/2 hour and I seriously thought dad was going to pass while we were still there. A couple times he started coughing and I thought Oh, here we go, he might be leaving us. It was decided that Jedd would stay with Dad on Friday night and that I was going to stay with dad on Saturday night. Mom was getting very tired and wanted to go home. So we all left Jedd there about 12:10. I took mom home and slept like a log. About 1:30, Jedd woke up and thought he should check on dad. I guess about 10 minutes later, his death rattle was getting worse. Jedd described it as 100 worse than what we had heard when we were there. Jedd called DeeRay, Darhl, Sharon and Charlene to let them know dad was not going to make it much longer, but he did not know how long. Jedd texted Jana and told her, and she said she wanted to go down and be with Jedd. He said no, "you will be scared for life". That is when he said his death rattle was 100 worse. But Jana went down any way and got there a little after 2:04. Jedd went running down to open the doors for Jana and they went running back to dad's room. When they got there, the worse part of it was over and he took his final breathe about 1.5 minutes after they got back up there. He died and 2:10 am. Jedd does not remember saying this, but I Jana and the nurse heard Jedd say, It's okay Dad, go toward Cleon. We will take care of Mom."
Afterwards, when we were all talking, we thought that dad did not want to go when we were all there. He was trying to go when no one was in the room to not make it so hard on mom, and all of us. When he was passing, Jedd was holding his hand and he thought he would grip it, but he did not as he was not in any pain what so ever. He also had a little smile on his face when he left this mortal world and Jedd and Jana took a picture of it as they did not believe it. Jedd said as he was there with dad, he knew exactly what dad was telling his savior. These were the words that Jedd felt dad was saying "I have glorified thy name here on earth. I have finished all the work which thou gavest me to do." Jedd said he knew what dad was saying, but he did not understand why he had a smile on his face.
So Sharon and DeeRay got there just after Dad had passed. DeeRay went in the room alone to be with Dad's body and when he came out, he said he just go a spiritual hug from dad. I will need to ask him more about that. But I guess Sharon and DeeRay started bringing home many of dad's things that were in his room around 2:30 to 3:00 am and walking around the house. Jedd called mom a couple of times around 2:15 to let mom know dad had died. She finially answered the phone and talked to Jedd and then went right back to sleep. I was sleeping in the basement oblivious to any thing going on and heard mom walking around a little after 6 am. So I thought, I had better go up there and help mom. That is when she told me that dad had passed. I had not heard the phone ring, people walking around the house, nothing. So a little later, Darhl and I went over and got all the big things, chair, tv, dresser, etc out of dads room.
The rest of the day, we spent most of it making arrangements for dad's funeral. Mom wanted all 4 boys to speak and Sharon did the life sketch and Charlene played a piano medley.
But from Friday night when I started over to Utah, to today, I have been on a spiritual high. We know that dad is happy now. This mortal body was holding him back. I can't be sad at all as I know Dad is off running doing missionary work in the next life. So now we have cleon, amber and dad doing missionary work.
The funeral was awesome. Many many people said it was the best funeral they had ever attended. I think we got it taped so you can hear it later.
One thing I forgot, Jana was not present when DeeRay gave mom that blessing, but Friday, she thought it would be a good idea to buy some flowers to have in the room with dad. So she went to the store and there were about 40 different flower arrangements and she said she looked at this one and focused on it and did not even look at the other bouquets and bought the one the 1st looked at. I guess Friday night before I got there the family was talking about a book by Gerald Lund, I don't remember the name, but on the back of the book, it says something to this effect: that there are times when the Lord blesses us with blessing, they are so individualized and specific to us that it is as if the Lord had his signature on that blessing. It wasn't until Sat. morning that Jana realized that the flowers she bought had Lilies in the middle of it, just like what DeeRay had promised mom in her blessing. This was Heavenly Father telling mom that he remembers her, that he is there to help her get through this difficult time.
Mom had been saying all along, that "if you would have told me a week ago that I would feel this good after losing my husband, I would have called you a liar." She and all of us have been extremely blessed with the spirit of the comforter.
Another neat thing, Sunday, mom and I went to her church for the meetings. They had their stake Patriarch speak and he is 73 years old. He said he was saddened to hear of the passing of Charles Nielsen. He said when they first moved here 19 years ago, Charles and Ralene Nielsen were the 1st ones to greet them and welcome them to the ward. He also said, "When I grow up, I want to be just like Charles, but I don't think that that will be possible." He also talked alot about patriarchal blessings and so sunday afternoon, I read Cleons, Dad's and moms. One thing that stood out to me from dad's is the following: "And when your mission is ended in mortality and you have completed all tht the Lord sent you here to do, the Lord will say unto you, 'come hither, the blessed of my Father' to inherit all the blessings that is promised..."
I shared that with my siblings and family Wed. night after the public viewing of dad's body. Jedd said that was the missing piece to the puzzle. That is why dad was smiling when he left this life. Jedd knew what dad had said to the Lord, but after I shared that with them, he said he now knows what the Lord said to dad, and that is why he was smiling. Pretty cool stuff.
Mom wanted the guy in Malad to do dad's body as he does such a great job. And dad looked great. I don't think he has looked that good for the last 2 years.
Well I will have to tell you more about the funeral in the next letter. We love you and are praying for you daily. We have a new missionary here in the branch born in Tongan and raised in Hawaii. His name is Elder Sanft- and he said you are serving in his stake, so he wants his parents to feed you guys. He shared his testimony with us yesterday and said, he and Sister Nielsen, switched places. He is here and you are in his home stake. Kinda cool huh?
I hope you are doing well. I know what you are doing is the most important work on earth. Oh by the way I got released yesterday as Branch President. So now I don't know what lies ahead for me.
Love you lots,
Dad
Well this has been a very busy week for us. Chelsea told me to write and tell you everything and that could be part of my life history. I guess dad was progressing along about the same as always (being in very good moods but not able to get out of bed unless the nurses lifted him out of bed and put him in a chair) until Thursday morning and when the nurses went in to sit him up to eat breakfast, he throw up. But the nurse still was able to hand feed him a greek yogurt which is suppose to be very healthy. After he ate his yogurt, he spent most of Thursday in a non responsive state, as if he were sleeping. He would wake up every now and then but could not speak much. Mom told him she loved him and dad mouthed back that he loved her. I guess he started doing the "death rattle" which is what they do before they die. It is when they can't swallow their saliva and breathing through their mouth, the saliva rattles in their throat. So the nurse told mom that dad was dying. She said he might last a day, 2 days, a week or 2 weeks, but he is definitely dieing. Well, mom had a very hard time with that. She had been praying with all her might for a miracle to happen with dad like it happened to her. The week before Aug. 27th when classes start at GBC is the busiest week of the year for me. So I was running around like crazy at work and mom left me a message on Thursday afternoon and was very distraught. She said, Scott, this is your mom, give me a call, your dad is dying. But it was very hard for her to get through the message. But I did not have time to listen to my messages until about 6:30 pm. So after I listened to the message, I called mom to see how she was doing. She was better in the evening, but I told her she needed a blessing. She said there was no one there to give her a blessing as all my siblings were at the care center with dad. Jedd called me after I talked to mom to see if I had heard about dad, I told him yes, but that mom needed a blessing. Dad's condition was not going to change much, but mom needed a priesthood blessing of comfort. So my brothers went over and gave mom a blessing. DeeRay acted as voice in the blessing and blessed mom with comfort and understanding even unto visions. He also said that Heavenly Father would remember her as he does the Lilies of the field. But mom said after she got that blessing, she felt great. She was a rock the entire week. I did not see her shed 1 tear. So I asked Sharon and mom if they thought I should go over to Salt Lake on Thursday with Friday going to be a crazy day in the office. They said there was not much I could do there, but they would keep me posted. So Friday afternoon, Sharon and Jedd called me and said you better come quickly, dad might not last very much longer, but they thought he would not pass until his entire family was with him. So I worked until 5:00 pm on Friday and I drove to South Jordan, directly to the care center where dad was staying. They told me they would all be waiting for me there at the care center. I went alone over to South Jordan as, the kids would start school on the 27th of aug. and I did not know how long I would be over there.
So I had 3.5 hours to think and ponder and pray and prepare myself as I drove over to Utah. I knew dad would not die until I got there, I had a very strong feeling about that. I took the camery and was listening to the cd that you left in there which you were using after you were set apart as a missionary. After you left and I got in the car and heard that could spiritual EFY music, I thought, I am not going to take that cd out the entire time you are on your mission. We can all live like missionaries for a year and a half, at least when we are in the camery. So I was able to ponder alot about dad and spiritual things. I thought to myself we are probably going to have a family prayer together after I got there and that I would be the one to offer that prayer. So I thought what I might and should say in that prayer.
So I got over to the care center about 10:10 pm Utah time. I walked into the room and all my brothers and sisters and their spouses were there with Mom. I felt such an overwhelming amount of love for all my siblings and their spouses and for mom. There are times in life when the spirit is very strong, I feel over come for love for others. I know it is charity, the true love of Christ. I felt it in Argentina on my mission towards the Argentineans, when I was called as Branch President of the Spanish Branch towards the members of the branch, and now towards my family members. I know the veil was very thin that evening with dad being so close to passing, so I know we were surrounded by spirits: I'm sure Cleon was there, Grandpa and Grandma Nielsen and many others who had preceded dad in death.
They told me to go and try to wake dad up so that he could know that I was there. So I tried talking to him. I said, "Dad, this is Scott, I just got over here from Elko. Do you want to wake up and see me?" Darhl was trying to get him to wake up to see me. They all wanted me to be able to say my goodbye's, but I said my goodbyes everytime I left dad. The last time being when we visited with dad before we took you to the MTC Amber on Aug. 1st. So I was fine with dad not waking up. But I could sense that Dad knew I was there. He closed his mouth when I was talking. I knew he knew I was there and told my sibling that. I like to describe it as when you are in a deep deep sleep with rapid eye movement and someone is trying to wake you up. You hear them, and know they are there, but it is hard to open your eyes. Mom said he had mouthed to her that afternoon that he loved her. Which were the last words he spoke with this lips. I think that is a tender mercy as well.
We sat around and visited for about an hour and a half. Just like old times on Sunday evenings when the families got together at mom and dads for popcorn. We were talking and telling stories. I told them all about you and your stories and how you were doing. It was a very spiritual time. Darhl said he thought we should have a family prayer and asked mom who she wanted to offer it. Mom said, Darhl you are the oldest son, you can decided. So Darhl asked me if I would offer that prayer. I said, I knew this was coming and we all knelt down in Dad's room. They had just cleaned the carpets so the carpet was still wet and some asked if we should stand or kneel. I said, I know Dad would want us to kneel. So we got our knees a little wet. I knelt down next to dad and mom so they could hear me. I felt very strongly in the prayer that dad would not last much longer here on this earth. So after the prayer, we visited for about another 1/2 hour and I seriously thought dad was going to pass while we were still there. A couple times he started coughing and I thought Oh, here we go, he might be leaving us. It was decided that Jedd would stay with Dad on Friday night and that I was going to stay with dad on Saturday night. Mom was getting very tired and wanted to go home. So we all left Jedd there about 12:10. I took mom home and slept like a log. About 1:30, Jedd woke up and thought he should check on dad. I guess about 10 minutes later, his death rattle was getting worse. Jedd described it as 100 worse than what we had heard when we were there. Jedd called DeeRay, Darhl, Sharon and Charlene to let them know dad was not going to make it much longer, but he did not know how long. Jedd texted Jana and told her, and she said she wanted to go down and be with Jedd. He said no, "you will be scared for life". That is when he said his death rattle was 100 worse. But Jana went down any way and got there a little after 2:04. Jedd went running down to open the doors for Jana and they went running back to dad's room. When they got there, the worse part of it was over and he took his final breathe about 1.5 minutes after they got back up there. He died and 2:10 am. Jedd does not remember saying this, but I Jana and the nurse heard Jedd say, It's okay Dad, go toward Cleon. We will take care of Mom."
Afterwards, when we were all talking, we thought that dad did not want to go when we were all there. He was trying to go when no one was in the room to not make it so hard on mom, and all of us. When he was passing, Jedd was holding his hand and he thought he would grip it, but he did not as he was not in any pain what so ever. He also had a little smile on his face when he left this mortal world and Jedd and Jana took a picture of it as they did not believe it. Jedd said as he was there with dad, he knew exactly what dad was telling his savior. These were the words that Jedd felt dad was saying "I have glorified thy name here on earth. I have finished all the work which thou gavest me to do." Jedd said he knew what dad was saying, but he did not understand why he had a smile on his face.
So Sharon and DeeRay got there just after Dad had passed. DeeRay went in the room alone to be with Dad's body and when he came out, he said he just go a spiritual hug from dad. I will need to ask him more about that. But I guess Sharon and DeeRay started bringing home many of dad's things that were in his room around 2:30 to 3:00 am and walking around the house. Jedd called mom a couple of times around 2:15 to let mom know dad had died. She finially answered the phone and talked to Jedd and then went right back to sleep. I was sleeping in the basement oblivious to any thing going on and heard mom walking around a little after 6 am. So I thought, I had better go up there and help mom. That is when she told me that dad had passed. I had not heard the phone ring, people walking around the house, nothing. So a little later, Darhl and I went over and got all the big things, chair, tv, dresser, etc out of dads room.
The rest of the day, we spent most of it making arrangements for dad's funeral. Mom wanted all 4 boys to speak and Sharon did the life sketch and Charlene played a piano medley.
But from Friday night when I started over to Utah, to today, I have been on a spiritual high. We know that dad is happy now. This mortal body was holding him back. I can't be sad at all as I know Dad is off running doing missionary work in the next life. So now we have cleon, amber and dad doing missionary work.
The funeral was awesome. Many many people said it was the best funeral they had ever attended. I think we got it taped so you can hear it later.
One thing I forgot, Jana was not present when DeeRay gave mom that blessing, but Friday, she thought it would be a good idea to buy some flowers to have in the room with dad. So she went to the store and there were about 40 different flower arrangements and she said she looked at this one and focused on it and did not even look at the other bouquets and bought the one the 1st looked at. I guess Friday night before I got there the family was talking about a book by Gerald Lund, I don't remember the name, but on the back of the book, it says something to this effect: that there are times when the Lord blesses us with blessing, they are so individualized and specific to us that it is as if the Lord had his signature on that blessing. It wasn't until Sat. morning that Jana realized that the flowers she bought had Lilies in the middle of it, just like what DeeRay had promised mom in her blessing. This was Heavenly Father telling mom that he remembers her, that he is there to help her get through this difficult time.
Mom had been saying all along, that "if you would have told me a week ago that I would feel this good after losing my husband, I would have called you a liar." She and all of us have been extremely blessed with the spirit of the comforter.
Another neat thing, Sunday, mom and I went to her church for the meetings. They had their stake Patriarch speak and he is 73 years old. He said he was saddened to hear of the passing of Charles Nielsen. He said when they first moved here 19 years ago, Charles and Ralene Nielsen were the 1st ones to greet them and welcome them to the ward. He also said, "When I grow up, I want to be just like Charles, but I don't think that that will be possible." He also talked alot about patriarchal blessings and so sunday afternoon, I read Cleons, Dad's and moms. One thing that stood out to me from dad's is the following: "And when your mission is ended in mortality and you have completed all tht the Lord sent you here to do, the Lord will say unto you, 'come hither, the blessed of my Father' to inherit all the blessings that is promised..."
I shared that with my siblings and family Wed. night after the public viewing of dad's body. Jedd said that was the missing piece to the puzzle. That is why dad was smiling when he left this life. Jedd knew what dad had said to the Lord, but after I shared that with them, he said he now knows what the Lord said to dad, and that is why he was smiling. Pretty cool stuff.
Mom wanted the guy in Malad to do dad's body as he does such a great job. And dad looked great. I don't think he has looked that good for the last 2 years.
Well I will have to tell you more about the funeral in the next letter. We love you and are praying for you daily. We have a new missionary here in the branch born in Tongan and raised in Hawaii. His name is Elder Sanft- and he said you are serving in his stake, so he wants his parents to feed you guys. He shared his testimony with us yesterday and said, he and Sister Nielsen, switched places. He is here and you are in his home stake. Kinda cool huh?
I hope you are doing well. I know what you are doing is the most important work on earth. Oh by the way I got released yesterday as Branch President. So now I don't know what lies ahead for me.
Love you lots,
Dad
Dear Sis. Nielsen
Alooooooooooooooooha! The Elder Sanft serving here from Hawaii (he said he knows people in the Arise video) opened his testimony with an "Aloha", but we were pretty weak with our response. ("some" of us knew what to do) I'm looking forward to hearing about how life as an Island Girl is going. Here's my weekly questions for you.
1) What am I supposed to do when Java updates pop up on your computer? so far I've just Xed out. Do you usually accept the offer to update?
2) We received a letter and picture from Pres. Dalton with your picture with them. What is the significance of the seed pod in the necklace?
School has begun and we are pretty much in the swing of things. Erin and Cody have been on time all three days that they attended seminary. I'm hopeful things will continue that way. I know Dad filled you in pretty well on how grandpa's funeral went. We arrived there just as the viewing was starting on thurs. night. He looked very peaceful. I told grandma she was right about how great a job the mortician from Malad does. I sat with the cousins for awhile and we had a fun time talking. It was Erin, Cassidy, and Cameron. we had a discussion about underarm sweat. Apparently this is a Nielsen curse because we all could relate about our mucho perspiration problems. Cassidy said her mom got her these pads on the internet that she just wipes under her arms and it stops it for like a week. I'm going to have to ask her about that.
Dad and all the brothers did an excellent job speaking at the funeral. the director from Malad recorded it I heard. If so, we can get you a copy. Braden Nielsen played a piano solo " If you could hie to Kolob" It was excellent. He has a recording of him playing it in his living room on youtube, I'm going to send the link to you. YMs' General Pres. Beck was there too. He gave Braden his official church business card and said he may use him with something in the church to encourage more young men to get involved with music. Dad asked if he could have a card too.
The puppies next store are getting really big and playful. Did I tell you Adelaide scales the chain link and goes over there and plays with them? I told dad we are going to have to put some barbed wire across the top like at the prisons to keep her in the yard.
Well, my dear I'm afraid I better get this sent or I'll miss getting it to you. Cameron said he is going to send you a letter with detailed strategies on how to eat less without being obvious. You don't have to give in to the "Paradise Pudge!" You can do it. I love you lots
No comments:
Post a Comment