Thursday, July 30, 2015

Chillin' by the pool in California

Hola Elder Nielsen,

It was good to read your last email.  I am sure you have passed me up now on my tagalog as I know no verbs or conjugations.  The app only teaches you words.  I am happy to hear that you are studying hard and showing an example of what can be done in the MTC.  Mom reminded me of your blessing when you were set apart as a missionary by Pres. Lewis, that you would "master the language".  It sounds like you already have a pretty good start.

Last Sunday evening we left Chica outside and during the night she was barking.  But half the time I disregard it as she is scared of her shadow.  But on Sunday night around 3 am or so, she was barking and I could tell it was her serious bark, but I just thought another dog was out there or something.  But when mom went out around 5:30 am, the passenger door to the trooper was open and all the contents in the glove compartment and in the middle of the seats was messed up.  Someone had been in the trooper looking for valuables and they also got in the van and broke the glove compartment door off and all the contents were on the floor.  I am sure they did not find much, but about a week ago I had found your makeshift wallet with your ID and $20 in it on the drivers side door.  So I took that inside. Good thing.  We are not sure if they took any thing, but I am sure Chica barking made them leave sooner than they planned as the door was left open.  I am not sure what she would of done, but at least she scared them.  Erin's scriptures from Peru were on the middle seat of the van with her peruvian cover, but they did not see any value in that.  Even though they did not get any thing of value, it made us feel funny and violated in a way that someone was on our property in our cars trying to steal something.  Thanks to good old blue.

We really did not do much this week.  I was working hard at work and on taxes to get things done and I felt like I had a good handle on things, so we decided to come to California.  It is extremely hot here.  On Monday night in Elko, it got down to 47 degrees and was suppose to snow in the higher mountains of Montana and Idaho.

Grandpa and grandma croft are doing well. Grandpa is walking around pretty good with a cane. He can go about any where, but he gets tired easily.  But they are doing remarkably well for their age and condition.  At the Round table pizza buffet this afternoon, there was a little girls softball team eating there and they brought out some cinnamon twists rolls and the 1st batch they made was gone in a second.  So when the 2nd batch came out, mom wanted some, so she was hustling over there, throwing bows etc to get them.  It got ugly. (No, not really, but she was determined to some this time) 

We left around 4:15 and made it in a little under 6 hours, so that was good.  We will head back Sunday and I leave for Pahrump Monday morning.  Chris Klekas was at bball on Tuesday and he said Julie is doing better, she can speak, but she messes up words like he and she, etc.  So that is good.

Are you getting alot of rain there?  Jacob Conk. went into the MTC yesterday, so I wonder how that went.  Hermana Bott got home from her mission on Tuesday, so we are excited to meet her.  I am sure that she and sister Wright will always have a tender spot in our hearts, since the loved our daughters so much.  

Keep working hard.  We love you and are happy you are a missionary.  I have been reading the white hand book, and I thought, I could still live this type of life when you are not a full time missionary.  I am conscientiously trying to act as his representative.  Like Erin said in her last email. My thoughts are his thoughts, my words are his words, and my actions are his actions.  If we lived that way our entire life, we would be pretty good sons and daughters of God.  Enjoy your time, realize the importance you have of being his special witness to the people of the Philippines and always act accordingly. Have a super week.  Carly said to tell Cody there are lots of Lizards here for you to catch.  I said, just make sure he is not wearing my church suit pants.

2 weeks ago, Becca's mom told me that she still had not heard from you, and that her email, does have 3 c's in it. beccca or something like that.  Did you get the email list that erin set up for you?

Have a super week!!

Love
Dad


Dear Elder Nielsen,

Well, you have been out nearly a month!  That went by fast.  We are all here at Gram and Gramps house in California and it is hot!  108 degrees yesterday, it was perfect pool weather that's for sure.  Dad wasn't sure if he was going to be able to come or not because he had a  lot to do before next week when he is heading for Pahrump with work.  We had a family council about it on Sunday night for FHE.  We called Amber and even included her, since she learned the proper way to conduct a council meeting after the pattern of the brethren, and had wanted go through the process with us.  It started out by everyone expressing love for one another--each individual, which was basically,"What I love about... so and so".  But that was kind of fun.  It is supposed to bring the spirit, and keep contention at bay.  We had a good discussion and weighed the pros and cons of Dad going on our trip with us.  The end result is to learn what the "will of the Lord is" concerning the matter.  We concluded that that was most likely to have our family together on family vacations.  So, Dad said he would do his best to get all done he needed to do to leave on tues.  Chica went to spend the week with Mel's family and we found a sub for the papers and off we went on tues. afternoon after Dad got home from work.  We had Mel at our house the week before, and we put him outside with Chica and he barked the whole time.  We figured out he likes to be inside just laying around with people around.  He and Chica are two of the same.

Saturday we (Erin too) went to Lauren Radvansky's and the former Elder Devin Bohdaine, (who served in Elko in 2012) wedding reception.  It was at the Nisbets's house.  They moved to a new house on Meadow Ridge with a big back yard.  It was nice, quite casual and we ended up talking with Bodhaines parents for most of the time.  He is a stk. pres. back in North Carolina.

So, now here we are in California.  Our goal is to get Addie to swim this year.  She has been sporting the life jacket and is quite comfortable in that, and jumps off the diving board all the time.  I told her today, that she was going to have to lose the jacket and work on her swimming.  She is a bit reluctant because that would mean limiting her ability to paddle all over, but it will be so much better in the long run.  Cousin Nate is here too, visiting.  He has been getting his teeth fixed while here and has had 4 new crowns and a bunch of filling done.  He has been nice and I think he is enjoying having some other kids here to hang around with.  We went to Round Table Pizza buffet for lunch and tomorrow is Summer's birthday, and I  realized on the drive over that I forgot to bring her birthday gifts for her to open.  The Johnny Crawford CD will just have to wait until we get home. We want to go to the Sacramento Temple while we are here and do some baptisms with her.  
We pray for you everyday, and think you are doing awesome!  Each letter you send home gets more inspiring.  450 verbs that is amazing-- you go Elder Guapo!  Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment