Hello, How was your week? We had a pretty good one. We spent most of the week at grandma and grandpa Crofts in the pool. It was very hot, around 110 each day and their air conditioner did not work. I think it was 115 in the house with all the sky lights etc. So we would go swimming 2 to 3 times a day to cool off. I was glad to get back to Elko on Thurs. about 6:00 pm. on the 4th of July. After we had been home a couple of hours it rained pretty good here and cooled every thing off. It felt great. It was raining during the fireworks, so I was not sure if they were going to be able to do the fireworks or not, but they did. We drove down to the college and stayed in the car to watch the fireworks. The 3 youngest girls got out and watched them outside with an umbrella. Adelaide kept saying she wanted to go watch them over there, right next to where they were happening. She wanted to get closer to the action I guess, but I told her we did not have tickets, perhaps next year we should buy tickets.
Monday, July 8, 2013
Hot, hot, hot!
I went to work on Friday and tried to catch up for being gone for a week. Saturday, I went in to the office and worked for about 7 hours on taxes. I have to get a lot done before my big elk hunt starts Aug. 1st. Sunday I have to go the Vegas for a training conference, so I want to get a lot done before that as well.
We had a good fast and testimony meeting yesterday in the ward. Alex Talbot received her endowments this past week, she received her mission call and is going to Jacksonville, Florida on her mission.
But one guy shared his testimony and said that his 2 grandkids (ages 4 and 2) were visiting and they decided to go swimming, in the upstairs bathtub. And after a while the 4 year old came down and told his dad that his brother needed him upstairs. The dad went up there and found his 2 year old floating in the water face down. They did not know how long he had been like that but the called 911 and rushed him to the hospital. He was in intensive care for 5 days and then pulled out of it and I believe is fine now. But the boys mother asked the 4 year old why he came down and got dad, and they 4 year old said. "We were playing in the bath tub and Billy or what ever the 2 year olds name is, was leaving the bath room. And the 4 year old said, Billy don't leave me, I want to play with you longer. And the 2 year old said, If you don't want me to go then you need to go get dad. " So the 4 year old went and got his dad. I guess that was the 2 year old's spirit that was leaving the bathroom. Any way, it was a good spiritual meeting.
Another thing Adelaide said this week was, as she was showing Grandma Croft her leg that was scratched up and bleeding from walking in the rose bushes, "Look at all that blood on my leg, isn't that disgusting?" They thought that was a pretty big word for a 3 year old to be using. Grandpa Croft thinks Adelaide is very smart. She is very observant and is aware of everything said and done.
Carly jumped off the diving board this week for the 1st time. She was a little nervous, but then after did it once, she loved it and jumped off constantly for the next 3 days. She is a diving board jumping fool now. Summer was learning how to dive off the diving board. Addie would not jump off the diving board but would run around the pool and jump in with her life jacket all by herself. She did that a lot as well. We needed a few more days more and I am sure she would have jumped off the diving board.
Cody got home from Gonzaga basketball camp in Spokane Washington about 11:00 sat night. I guess they won an AAU tournament up there, but lost to the Washington state champs by 6 points in the Gonzaga tournament. So it sounds like they did pretty well this summer. I am glad its over, now he can start on football here in Elko.
We were watching family videos last night and watching when you were going into the mtc and summer's bday, etc, and the kids have changed alot since you saw them last. Especially the youngest 4, Cody has filled out a lot. He was a skinny kid back then and now he is a lot bigger. And the 3 younger girls have changed a lot.
Well not much else to report from my end. We love you and hope you have a great week. We have been talking here at home and believe you are probably the only missionary who could put up with a companion like you have. You have always been the most patient and easy going person. I know me and Chelsea, and probably Erin would have lost our patience long ago with someone like that. That is probably why the AP said that you were the perfect companion for her. But 4.5 months is a long time, so we are excited to see if any changes will be made next transfers.
We love you and are happy you are serving a mission. Have a super week! We pray for you all the time.
Love DAD
Dearest Sis. Nielsen,
Dad had been writing his letter before me and then emails it to me so that I don't write exactly the same things that he wrote about. After reading his letter, I'm wondering what's left to tell you. He covered Calif. pretty well. It was really amazing to see the progress Carly made in the pool. She was a jumping fool. Adelaide was fun to watch too. She is so strong! she is really buff in her swim suit. She would pull herself out of the water by heaving herself up onto the edge, with the water logged life jacket on. She had a lot of fun, and grandma was really impressed with how well she ate. Grandma was has really slowed down, and she was kind of dizzy when she would stand up. She thinks she will get over the shingles and that her body will recover and she will be able to do more of what she used to; but I'm not sure. She isn't going to go to BYU ed week this year, and I wonder if she ever will again. I ran across a picture a few weeks ago of the last time I had gone to Ed week. I was prego with Adelaide, and in the picture was Mom and I and her friend Dorothy that died, and Betty Fredrickson. It made me kind of sad, I thought 'those days might be over', they certainly will never be the same. I guess it will just have to be different memories now, with my daughters. We didn't go anywhere when we were in CA, except to the temple and Costco. It was mainly about swimming skills. Dad was really miserable with the heat. It didn't bother me too bad, I think because I'm native. He could hardly sleep at night. I slept just fine. I actually sleep really heavy when its hot, and have a hard time waking up. The news said that the temperature in Death Valley could come close to its record high of 134. People were starting to flock there, because they wanted to be a part of history if it happened: the hottest temperature ever recorded on Earth.
We got home on the 4th of July at about 6pm. After the fireworks we stopped by Costa Vida to see Erin, since we hadn't seen her all week and she was working when we got home. She doesn't really enjoy her job, but it's a job. You had few of those. She gets home really late @11:30 usually and weekends they are open even later, so she doesn't get home until 1 am.
Kiley Olsen is working at Barrick for the summer-- one of those summer mine jobs that the kids of miners get hooked up with. She makes 15.00 an hour, but its really boring stuff. They have to think up things for them to do...kind of like watering the fake plants :) She needed to get some of those steel toe boots like you bought. Erin told her you had some so she came over and tried them on and they fit, so she took them home to use. I don't think she should keep them unless she pays you for them, she will probably give them back after the summer. I don't know what you paid for them, or if you think you will ever need them again, should I ask them to pay you something for them? You tell me how you want me to handle this.
Did you get my letter yet? Have a wonderful week, We love you so much,
Mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment