Sunday, July 14, 2013

Jammin' July

Hello Sister Nielsen,


I am writing you from Las Vegas.  I drove down yesterday for a conference and I will be here until Wed. evening.  I stopped and attended church in Ely, NV.  I love going to new wards and areas and seeing how they run the meetings etc.

Well I hope you had a great week.  Transfer should be this week, no?  You probably already know if you are getting transferred or not.  I am sure it is where ever the Lord wants you to be.

I went out with the missionaries for a couple of hours Saturday afternoon.  Our first appointment was not there, so I asked them, well you have me here, who do you want to visit now.  So they both decided on a new couple that moved into the ward a couple weeks ago.  The wife is a member and the husband is not.  So we went over there, and the wife let us right in.  Both her parents teach at BYU I and she is only semi active.  She was married in the temple to her 1st husband.  Any way it turned out that she was Carly's dance teacher a couple years ago, and I remembered her husband was the MC and was full of life and energy.  Any way, we hit it off great.  The husband loves sports and hunting and fishing, etc.  I did all the talking and the missionaries did not say 10 words.  

But I asked him what religion he was, and he said he did not have a religion, doesn't even know if he believes in God. etc.  But we found some common ground, he said he did not pray, had never felt the spirit, so I asked him and his wife to start praying together in the evenings.  Told him the missionaries could come buy and teach him and that would help him feel the spirit and learn to recognize it. Any way, I felt really good about it, I bore my testimony and I could feel the spirit.  I  think the wife was very happy.  In my minds eye I could see her parents praying for their son in law and that he would open his heart and hear the discussions.  I believe that I was there for a reason, I felt really comfortable with them and I believe they felt the same.   Heavenly Fathers hand is in everything.  I know why our 1st appointment was not there.  I seem to be getting more and more bold in my old age.  We don't have time to mess around and beat around the bush, we need to come out and challenge them directly.

Not much else happening this week.  Cody went to youth conference with the ward to SLC and enjoyed that.  Erin has been working alot from many different jobs. And Carly and Summer have been sleeping in the tent the past 3 or 4 nights with Chica.  They love it.  Adelaide, slept have way and came in during the night.

Well we love you and are grateful for your service.  We look forward to what happens this week.  Have a super week.

Love DAD


Dearest Sis. Nielsen,

 Aloha!  How is life in the beautiful Isles of Hawaii?  I was thinking about this the other day and I thought how blessed we all are that you are in Hawaii.  I mean how many people get to "labor" for the Lord in such an incredibly beautiful place?  And we get hear to about it and feel a part of it.  We love it!  So, thank you so much for choosing to serve a mission and bringing those blessings to every member of your family.  We don't seem to get your letters until Tues.  so, is that your P-day now?  Are you learning to do the Hula?  I am planning my menu for book club next week, tell me what you think of it and if there is anything I can add to authenticate it.  
          Aloha sipper fruit smoothie
              Pulled Pork Sandwich Sliders (sweet and spicey)
              Fruit Salad in carved out watermelon "bowls"
                             undetermined salad or relish tray, (any ideas from your experience with "gone wild" potlucks?
                                            Chocolate Lava Cakes (where the chocolate sauces "flows" out of the middle)

I have been trying different Lava Cakes recipes today, to pick the best one.  I'm going to wear the mumu that dad got me when he went to Hawaii, should be very festive, I will send you pictures!

Erin has been working her little heart out this week.  She works long hours at Costa Vida, usually 4pm to 11:45pm with no breaks.  She has complained about achy legs, because she stands at the line and serves the whole time.  We went to lunch there last week and it's a crazy busy place.  On her day off, she got hooked up with a one day job at GBC portraying an invalid for the students working on getting their CNA certificates.  She got to lay in a bed and have the students  lift her out, change positions and pack pillows around her back to keep her positioned, and brush her teeth. She had her teeth brushed like 4 times! They were graded, by the teacher.  She said it was easy and very relaxing.  She even dozed off.  I told her it was a perfect job for her, since laying around comes quite natural to her.  When she got home that night, she was asked to babysit for the Simons.  Then the next morning (2:45am!) she went out and helped a kid sub his Mom's paper route.  He drove and she jumped out and stuffed the papers in the boxes.  When she got home, she went out and helped the Welches wash trucks at Cashman for 4 hrs. ($40.00), came home slept a few hours, then its back to Costa Vida for the night. Whew!  I love it!  It makes up for the first 3 wks of the summer when she was perfectly her invalid skills. 

My cousin Darren and his family stopped in and visited us on their way back from vacationing in CA.  He has 5 kids and lives in Heber City, UT.  His Dad is my Mom's younger brother, Lyle who is a patriarch and lives next to Phyllis' house in Nibley,UT.  We had fun meeting each other's kids, since we haven't really seen each other after we grew up and Gram and Gramp Tuddenham died.  We always played together when we would come up and visit the farm.  We said we need to have a reunion some time with all the Tudds.  He also said his younger brother's oldest daughter is serving her mission if the Farmington, NM Mission, and is actually serving in Gallup right now.  I don't know if the Deckers know her, but I told Chelsea to make them aware.

Cody has been busy with football this week, and went to Youth Conference in UT and had a good time.
Much Aloha!--what exactly does that mean?
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment